Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need your advise. i just bought a car and going for a trip to mountains. is it OK to drive a new car on this kind of road this soon? whould it be a problem for engine? i'm going to take 4 passengers with me and cargo.

please help me make the right decision. thanks

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
So you are still under 600 miles? If not it should not be a problem,
If yes, you can but I would take my time and not push it. Stop every so often to allow the car to cool down.
Another factor are the brakes. New brakes need to seat for a good 200 miles before hard use.
I would definitely use that as a yardstick.
Just don't drive it too hard.
IF still breaking in, varying your speeds shoud not be a problem when traversing mountains.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Re: "trip to mountains"

luckymichael said:
i need your advise. i just bought a car and going for a trip to mountains. is it OK to drive a new car on this kind of road this soon? whould it be a problem for engine? i'm going to take 4 passengers with me and cargo...
Well if 'trip to mountains" will enable you to follow normal break-in recommendations: no hard braking, no extended periods at same engine speed, limited full-throttle acceleration-- you are OK.

If trip to mountain is going to involve looong climb, fully loaded, possible bumper-to-bumper traffic, high speed descent etc-- take another vehicle!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i'm not going to go over speed limit for sure and want to use cruise control (where it's possible). also the road shouldn't be full of cars that time. the most my concern is 5 people on board :)

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Passenger "LOAD"

luckymichael said:
i'm not going to go over speed limit for sure and want to use cruise control (where it's possible). also the road shouldn't be full of cars that time. the most my concern is 5 people on board :)
Even if evey one of you were to consider passengers as load of 200 pounds each, you'd still need up to 298 of gear (1298 max load on touring /w nav).

The weight limit is generally not related to passengers, even the "max load rating" is more for safe handling than the possibility of 'burdening' the engine. Also consider the load of a 3500 lb trailer/4500 lb boat.

You need not worry.

·
Registered
619 Posts
How many miles do u have on your X?

That will be the deciding factor on Cruise(not recommended under 600 miles), braking, acceleration etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts