Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in a focus group for a Cadillac dealer last night and part of it was about the new SRX SUV. It is about the same size as the Acura. If you are interested to see it let me know an I will post the pics from the brochure.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
I'm sure I'm not the only one interested so post those pics!!! Thanks.:2:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Is this a made over Trailblazer/Envoy or a completely new platform? I have never been a big fan of the Cadillac styling (i.e. CTS)

·
Registered
218 Posts
sandman1 said:
Is this a made over Trailblazer/Envoy or a completely new platform? I have never been a big fan of the Cadillac styling (i.e. CTS)
It's actually based on the CTS platform.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
A2MDXer said:
I like the looks of Cady's grille on its sporty cars but not sure about the SUV. Sort of looks misplaced. Of couse, I initially had similar thoughts about the MDX.
:eek:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Those body lines make it look like an Aztec/Rendezvous. An artist at GM/Cadillac seriously needs to be fired. I have seen the CTS so many times now, and the body lines are not getting any better looking. Does anyone agree with me, or am I in the minority here?

·
Registered
335 Posts
catz122 said:
Those body lines make it look like an Aztec/Rendezvous. An artist at GM/Cadillac seriously needs to be fired. I have seen the CTS so many times now, and the body lines are not getting any better looking. Does anyone agree with me, or am I in the minority here?
I saw the SRX at the auto show (if you go to Caddy's website, they have information on it under future vehicles), and I liked what I saw EXCEPT the stupid Cadillac style front (yup, the designer should get the can). Some of the interior features look pretty nice...love the large sunroof. I'm hoping in a later generation they look at that again, and maybe it becomes at least decent competitor?

(BTW, Rodzir, my wife was in a similar group about 6 or so months back where they compared it with what was the Lexus and something else she did not recognize...)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yeah the CTS is Fugly

On a scale from Aztek to Ferrari Enzo, the CTS is pretty damn close to the Aztek/Rendezvous. The proportions of the CTS do not work. It is too narrow in the rear for full height taillights.

The Cadillac Escalade is also pretty high up on the fugly list, almost to CTS levels, but not nearly as bad as the Buick Rendezvous and the Aztek.

The new Cadillac XLR also looks like sh*t too.

Who approved these fugly designs? I respect their attempt for a fresher design, but sh*t is sh*t, and Cadillac has a supertanker full here.

The new Cadillac SUV has the basic rough outline of the MDX, but it will retail for probably more money and be worth half as much as the Acura in five years.

You can buy year old Cadillacs for 40% off MSRP. How much worse can it get?

Year old MDXs are going for 90%+ of MSRP.

Add the fugliness, the poor engineering, etc, and I see no reason to beta test any Cadillac.

Where's our resident Buick Rendezvous advocate?

Prove me wrong, if you can.

Steve

·
Registered
700 Posts
Caddy Commercials

Has anyone else noticed Led Zepplin music on Caddy's new commercials? You can tell Caddy is trying to change their target audience. Who would have ever thought Caddy teaming up with Led Zepplin just 5 years ago. My father would have never bought based on those commercials with that kind of music....

They need to quit using standard parts from the GM parts bin and charging 2x the price. Styling may get you some buyers, but I'm looking for reliability, resale, and value.

You go Caddy!:rolleyes:

-Greg

03 SS/Quartz/Nav/RES
00 Corvette Convertible

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
msu79gt82 said:
MSU, my comment was that I found the MDX grille a bit odd looking at first. Did anyone else think this? I don't think I am the only one as at least one reviewer said the front of the MDX looked like Jack Nicholson in The Shining.:p Anyway, it has grown on me and now I just think of the grille as distinctive:cool:

Not sure I would get used to the Caddy one though at least on the SUV.

·
Registered
410 Posts
The new C&D features an article on the new Cadi. The platform is a unibody lifted from their new sedan--not from another GM division. The MDX, X5, and RX300 were used as target vehicles during development. C&D provided a good review for the production prototype. Too bad it's produced by the same company that brings us the Caviler.

I am afraid that even if GM were to start building good vehicles today, it would take a long time to reverse their image, having built crap cars for 30 years. Cadillac must be aware of this, as they profited from a similar situation during the 70s and 80s. It seems that they were able to sell a few junkers based on the favorable image that they earned in the 40s, 50s, and 60s. GM and Cadillac have their work cut out. This is unfortunate, as many of us would love to have spent our car allowance on something that was all American. If only the dang door handles would not fall off. The MDX need not worry.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Hmm. I am sure it will sell pretty well. The Escalade has a powerful brand name. Too bad it will definitely be an UNREFINED POS like all American cars.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
It kind of looks like the Shaturn Vue.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
The March 2003 issue of Automobile magazine has a review of the SRX (not available online yet, though). Interesting crossover vehicle, no doubt.

Big negatives, in my mind:

- Try as they might, GM just can't seem to get safety fully together in their vehicles, so I'd wait until that thing is crash-tested.

- Also, try as they might, GM can't seem to ratchet up the quality high enough, so I'd wait until reliability scores come into CR in a couple of years.

- The rear of that vehicle is fugly, IMHO. The attached photo is actually a flattering angle; Automobile had an angle that showed how hideous it is.

- The V8 should be a serious gas guzzler.

On the positive side:

- Big GM rebates.

- Initial review said that handling is excellent, showing the benefits of a true crossover.

- The interior materials are apparently quite luxurious, on a Lexus level, and thus probably significantly better than the MDX's weakest point.

- It's always sending 50% power to the rears, which makes its AWD system quite good.

- The third row seat power-folds.

- The Skyview top is pretty cool.

- Plenty of power, especially with the V8. Automobile listed 6.7 seconds 0-60.

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
This thing looks like the Brady Bunch station wagon.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Is this the prototype? HAHA

1 - 20 of 20 Posts