Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been around Acura and Honda for most of my life. Dad drove a 2006 RL and uprgraded to the MDX. Then got an first-gen RLX. My first car is the 2006 MDX.

So far I've had problems with the engine and a small issue with the rear passenger side window functioning. Took apart the door panel by myself and installed a new window motor. Now have my X misfiring on 1,3, and 5. Going to look into the plugs and coils this weekend...

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
How many miles? When did you last change the spark plugs? Did you DIY or pay a shop? Cylinders 1, 3, and 5 are on the rear bank, and some lazy techs will not bother changing them because they're harder to get to. I'd be curious to check your plugs and see if they match the front bank, or if they're older.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How many miles? When did you last change the spark plugs? Did you DIY or pay a shop? Cylinders 1, 3, and 5 are on the rear bank, and some lazy techs will not bother changing them because they're harder to get to. I'd be curious to check your plugs and see if they match the front bank, or if they're older.
X is at 174k miles. I don't know when the spark plugs aere last changed as my dad usually handles this but is not very upfront with what shops do. As for the timing belt, that has been inspected and is fine. I will be scanning the engine today after school to get the codes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
X is at 174k miles. I don't know when the spark plugs aere last changed as my dad usually handles this but is not very upfront with what shops do. As for the timing belt, that has been inspected and is fine. I will be scanning the engine today after school to get the codes.
So I scanned the engine today and got the codes P0420 and P0430.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Those are not misfire codes... What made you think you have a rear cylinder bank misfire issue?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Those are not misfire codes... What made you think you have a rear cylinder bank misfire issue?
After getting an oil change the company also gave me a diagnostics check and told me that cylinders were Misfiring. The Honda dealership told me I had a catalytic converter problem which could be part of the misfiring

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had similar problems with my 04 x. Long story short, you can get a pair of cats on ebay for around $250 now. It can be a pita the first time you do it, but you can change them yourself.
I really wish I had just done this the first time around, but the cats were much more expensive 5-6 years ago. So, I gutted the cats and ran plug antifoulers to fool the oxygen sensors. And lost a TON of power. Then I bought "test pipes" instead of the cats. More power back, but still not what it had b4. And, I had to use o2 simulators to fool the ecm.
I finally ended up using a 2 1/2 inch muffler after the third cat, and got my STOCK power back.
A dealer service tech told me back then that running regular gas in these engines kills the cats. The ecm has to retard the ignition to avoid knocking or detonation. As a result, the engine runs rich and fouls the catalytic converters with excess hydrocarbons. I don't know how true this is, but it made sense till me.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Oh yeah, and the exhaust stinks without those first two cats. Even with the third left on. Made my wife super pissed. And b4 the moral high grounders chime in, I ordered and put the first cats back on a while back. But I left the bigger muffler on. I like the way it sounds.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had similar problems with my 04 x. Long story short, you can get a pair of cats on ebay for around $250 now. It can be a pita the first time you do it, but you can change them yourself.
I really wish I had just done this the first time around, but the cats were much more expensive 5-6 years ago. So, I gutted the cats and ran plug antifoulers to fool the oxygen sensors. And lost a TON of power. Then I bought "test pipes" instead of the cats. More power back, but still not what it had b4. And, I had to use o2 simulators to fool the ecm.
I finally ended up using a 2 1/2 inch muffler after the third cat, and got my STOCK power back.
A dealer service tech told me back then that running regular gas in these engines kills the cats. The ecm has to retard the ignition to avoid knocking or detonation. As a result, the engine runs rich and fouls the catalytic converters with excess hydrocarbons. I don't know how true this is, but it made sense till me.
Ok, so replace the first two cats. Got it. Thanks man

1 - 9 of 9 Posts