Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
This happened to me it’s terrifying! The steering wheel was locked and could not be turned while the car was moving and the break system failed. Luckily I was able to slow to a stop without turning. This is a serious safety concern.
Really? This seems quite hard to believe (that the steering was completely LOCKED and couldn't be moved at all)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Dealership called it is a new and known issue with the 2022 and a steering sensor failure. The steering wheel became locked while I was driving. I could not steer at all. Lights flashed saying breaking, collision and steering not working. I slowed to a stop as the car kind of shut down . I turned it off and it did power back on with the lights no longer flashing warnings. We had it towed to Goodson Acura and they said it is a sensor failure Acura is working on and the part is not available now. I’m in a loaner but wondering if I get out of my lease or have them fix it. This was terrifying!

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Dealership called it is a new and known issue with the 2022 and a steering sensor failure. The steering wheel became locked while I was driving. I could not steer at all. Lights flashed saying breaking, collision and steering not working. I slowed to a stop as the car kind of shut down . I turned it off and it did power back on with the lights no longer flashing warnings. We had it towed to Goodson Acura and they said it is a sensor failure Acura is working on and the part is not available now. I’m in a loaner but wondering if I get out of my lease or have them fix it. This was terrifying!
Glad you and the family are safe. It had to be terrifying. I too got my MDX from Goodson. Glad to know they know the about the issue and a proposed resolution. Maybe there was a batch of faulty sensors/chips since many owners with way more miles have not experienced that. Nor do they want to.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Hold up

How fast were you driving when it locked up? And to be clear, you are saying the steering wheel locked up and could not turn one bit yes? Not that you just lost the normal boost that makes the steering feel light and springy. I'm sorry but I have real trouble believing a car can be designed and approved such that its failsafe state in the case of an electrical or sensor problem is that the STEERING WHEEL LOCKS TIGHT. How crazy would that be if you are driving on Pacific Coast Highway at speed and the sensor blips at that point and you are then flying off the cliff because you can't turn the car at all? Seriously I have never heard of this and it doesn't make sense at all.

I smell a troll here, given all the other MDX bashing happening, but willing to listen. At least the others all admitted that "well I guess when I say the steering and brakes FAILED, they didn't really stop working completely, which is why I was able to pull over safely......"

·
Registered
557 Posts
Hold up

How fast were you driving when it locked up? And to be clear, you are saying the steering wheel locked up and could not turn one bit yes? Not that you just lost the normal boost that makes the steering feel light and springy. I'm sorry but I have real trouble believing a car can be designed and approved such that its failsafe state in the case of an electrical or sensor problem is that the STEERING WHEEL LOCKS TIGHT. How crazy would that be if you are driving on Pacific Coast Highway at speed and the sensor blips at that point and you are then flying off the cliff because you can't turn the car at all? Seriously I have never heard of this and it doesn't make sense at all.

I smell a troll here, given all the other MDX bashing happening, but willing to listen. At least the others all admitted that "well I guess when I say the steering and brakes FAILED, they didn't really stop working completely, which is why I was able to pull over safely......"
I agree - seems impossible that the design would be setup for a failure mode like that. What’s odd though is that we have seen a few people report the same exact failure swearing that it was impossible to steer. Sooo… either trolls as you suggested or there is a failure mode here that’s not expected / being accounted for / handled properly. Maybe something like the computer takes some input that doesn’t make perfect sense and instead of disengaging the lane keeping assist system it keeps trying to go back and forth so rapidly that it effectively locks in position. Systems need to have logic for “when to fail” sometimes and perhaps it’s some perfect storm to triggrr the condition. Just 100% speculation but like you I’m sure Acura did not design it to fail locked, so SOMETHING is up. Or someone is lying…or maybe it’s just crazy hard to steer without assistance. Will be interesting to see what comes of it.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I agree - seems impossible that the design would be setup for a failure mode like that. What’s odd though is that we have seen a few people report the same exact failure swearing that it was impossible to steer. Sooo… either trolls as you suggested or there is a failure mode here that’s not expected / being accounted for / handled properly. Maybe something like the computer takes some input that doesn’t make perfect sense and instead of disengaging the lane keeping assist system it keeps trying to go back and forth so rapidly that it effectively locks in position. Systems need to have logic for “when to fail” sometimes and perhaps it’s some perfect storm to triggrr the condition. Just 100% speculation but like you I’m sure Acura did not design it to fail locked, so SOMETHING is up. Or someone is lying…or maybe it’s just crazy hard to steer without assistance. Will be interesting to see what comes of it.
okay but as far as I know, the 2022 MDX is not breaking any new ground with some super-fancy brand new steering system, and electric-boosted steering has been around for a long while (my 2014 Accord has it). So why would we even suspect that the CPU logic is such that it could have such issues. Is this an issue with other vehicles? (serious question...I've not heard of it but pls let me know if others have). I would doubt that Honda has a completely new steering module here and completely new CPU logic. Heck they probably outsource the system from another sub-contractor and similar modules are in use on other vehicles. And again, I just can't wrap my head around how a car can be tested and approved by the various NHTSA and other countries similar regulatory bodies where if there is an electrical sensor fault, the STEERING WHEEL LOCKS UP COMPLETELY AT ANY SPEED.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
To be fair, worse things get overlooked and happen (take Takata airbag disaster, for example). But I totally agree that it doesn't make sense steering would lock up if electrical steering has faulted for any reason. It is still the same rack and pinion method. Only assistance is electric, that's all. You would still be able to steer even in a complete electrical failure event, especially on higher speeds such as a highway speed.

·
Registered
557 Posts
okay but as far as I know, the 2022 MDX is not breaking any new ground with some super-fancy brand new steering system, and electric-boosted steering has been around for a long while (my 2014 Accord has it). So why would we even suspect that the CPU logic is such that it could have such issues. Is this an issue with other vehicles? (serious question...I've not heard of it but pls let me know if others have). I would doubt that Honda has a completely new steering module here and completely new CPU logic. Heck they probably outsource the system from another sub-contractor and similar modules are in use on other vehicles. And again, I just can't wrap my head around how a car can be tested and approved by the various NHTSA and other countries similar regulatory bodies where if there is an electrical sensor fault, the STEERING WHEEL LOCKS UP COMPLETELY AT ANY SPEED.
I agree. Only thing I can speculate is that incremental improvements designed to enhance something like the lane keeping assist or something. Sometimes in software you enhance things to the point where you break something basic inadvertently . I believe that the design is still designed to be inherently safe, but maybe some set of circumstances triggers something weird… or maybe it’s just suddenly very hard and panic sets in. I dunno but I’m really curious to learn more. Either way sounds like a recall may eventually come from it if it happens often. Those sys shutting down do typically result in a recall from most manufacturers… assuming it’s at all common.

My Audi is getting recalled because if kids spill their drink in the back seat it shorts out the communications gateway module and the whole car shuts down. Absolutely stupid design of Audi to put a critical non-waterproof module in a location that is prone to getting wet. I’m paranoid every time the kids need a drink while we’re on a trip. Audi owners flooded the NHTSA site with complaints until Audi finally did the right thing to fix it. I’m pretty happy that they’re going to handle it. Maybe something for owners here reporting problems to consider- file a formal report.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
I agree - seems impossible that the design would be setup for a failure mode like that.
The last time I checked, not long ago, there were almost no true 100% steer-by-wire vehicles on the road. The electric steering systems have been essentially just a power boost.

When a power steering boost fails it can be very alarming due to the sudden need for requiring more steering muscle from the driver, but it doesn't 'lock up', although it might feel to someone like a lock up and I can see why someone might describe it that way, but in reality they still have some steering control. I haven't heard of anyone on this forum getting into an accident due to this and have even seen some state the steering locked up so they pulled off the side or to an exit - which they couldn't do if it was truly locked up.

Nevertheless, it's a pretty significant failure that needs to be addressed by Acura right away.

·
Registered
557 Posts
You would still be able to steer even in a complete electrical failure event, especially on higher speeds such as a highway speed.
Unless the motor was still engaged and fighting you. Seems unlikely but no one thought the 737 rudder could jam until they found out it was actually jamming. I doubt that’s happening…. But who knows?

·
Registered
557 Posts
The last time I checked, not long ago, there were almost no true 100% steer-by-wire vehicles on the road. The electric steering systems have been essentially just a power boost.

When a power steering boost fails it can be very alarming due to the sudden need for requiring more steering muscle from the driver, but it doesn't 'lock up', although it might feel to someone like a lock up and I can see why someone might describe it that way, but in reality they still have some steering control. I haven't heard of anyone on this forum getting into an accident due to this and have even seen some state the steering locked up so they pulled off the side or to an exit - which they couldn't do if it was truly locked up.
Yes, I know and agree. I’ve owned manual steering cars and generally while moving you don’t even need any assistance. I think your explanation is the most likely, though I wonder if the assist motor COULD be working against them. Either that or there are a few trolls. I’m not placing bets as I simply don’t know. I would like to know more though as it’s interesting.

·
Registered
557 Posts
BTW - I apologize for the speculation. I’m a private pilot and on those forums when one of “own” goes down it’s common practice to speculate (respectfully) to try to figure out what could have happened. Guys will pull flight tracking logs, weather, Pilot reports from the time frame, radio recordings - everything in an effort to try to learn something from situation and hopefully prevent it in the future. The NTSB does that too, but frequently amateurs get pretty close. That’s all I’m doing here is trying to understand and brainstorm possibilities. I’m NOT knocking the MDX.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is actually scary. I too purchased a 2022 MDX and this exact thing happened to me. I was driving on the highway going 55mph and randomly all the dashboard lights started coming on and the steering wheel locked instantly. I couldn't turn my vehicle so THANK GOODNESS there was a big enough shoulder so that I could pull over while continuing straight. I shut the car off and turned it back on and all the lights were still on and the wheel was still locked. After waiting an hour I turned it back on and the lights were gone. I was hesitant to drive to the dealership to drop it off as I assumed it would happen again. When I got there they kept the vehicle and said it's a known issue with the new MDX and they don't have the new part in stock. They fixed it for the time being. The dealership offered me a new lease claiming that the MDX I bought was one of the first ones out of production and that it wasn't an issue with the newer ones. I PAID to get into a new lease, not aware of lemon law and NOW my new 2022 MDX is constantly in the shop for strut issues.

They gave me a loaner for the Strut replacement and while driving the loaner I was going around a turn, SLOW thank goodness and the car did the SAME THING. All the lights came on and the wheel locked. Thankfully, the parking lot I was driving into was empty so I could pull into the spots sideways as I couldn't fix the car direction. I brought it up to the dealership and they seemed like they were concerned but not really. I am honestly concerned this is going to happen again in my new 2022 MDX. I was pregnant while all this happened and now that my baby is here I am extremely worried I may be driving on the highway and the car just lock up in a place where I can't pull over or I am going around a turn and I can't continue to turn the wheel because it locks. I am also very concerned for the people the dealership turned around and sold my old MDX too. I am currently in the process of filing Lemon Law and hope Acura can come up with some sort of solution because this is a SEVERE SAFETY HAZARD. I also realized it happens around 11k miles on the vehicle.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I'm confused about the brakes. Brakes are still hydraulic, using the brake pedal is still pushing hydraulic oil (brake fluid). Power brakes just helps with moving the fluid. No engine running, just requires harder pressure applied to the pedal. Only way for the brakes not to work, is air in line, or there is no fluid at all.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I'm confused about the brakes. Brakes are still hydraulic, using the brake pedal is still pushing hydraulic oil (brake fluid). Power brakes just helps with moving the fluid. No engine running, just requires harder pressure applied to the pedal. Only way for the brakes not to work, is air in line, or there is no fluid at all.

I suspect that what we are seeing is that when these systems revert to a manual non-boosted state that it's not that they don't work at all, but rather are difficult enough to operate without assistance that most users FEEL like they do not function at all. Not to say the reports aren't credible, but rather a testament to how much we rely on these boosted systems.

·
Registered
2022 GMC Yukon Denali, 2021 Volvo XC90 Inscription
59 Posts
okay but as far as I know, the 2022 MDX is not breaking any new ground with some super-fancy brand new steering system, and electric-boosted steering has been around for a long while (my 2014 Accord has it). So why would we even suspect that the CPU logic is such that it could have such issues. Is this an issue with other vehicles? (serious question...I've not heard of it but pls let me know if others have). I would doubt that Honda has a completely new steering module here and completely new CPU logic.
Lol you think it’s the same setup as your 2014 accord? Love to break it to ya, it’s a new setup with variable ratio steering. Back to google you go.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I suspect that what we are seeing is that when these systems revert to a manual non-boosted state that it's not that they don't work at all, but rather are difficult enough to operate without assistance that most users FEEL like they do not function at all. Not to say the reports aren't credible, but rather a testament to how much we rely on these boosted systems.
Maybe your correct, I remember hearing an interview with a F1 driver. I don't remember who,, but he was speaking about how much pressure they've to apply with their foot to stop at 200, insane amounts of force.

Remember without booster, your having to push all that fluid threw those tiny brake lines, plus throughout the entire brake system that's designed to work with a booster.
Lol you think it’s the same setup as your 2014 accord? Love to break it to ya, it’s a new setup with variable ratio steering. Back to google you go.
Brakes and steering are way too different things. Brakes are mechanical, theres no electrical motors that operate brake calipers. The fluid moves from brake pedal movement. If the engine isn't running, you won't have help from the booster. It's all leg and foot strength on the pedal to move the calipers to compress and stop the car.

·
Registered
57 Posts
OP you need to file a case with the NHTSA. Acura isn't going to take ownership of this unless you make them. I suffered from the trans failure driving off the lot. In your case you have experienced 2 issues already. Get rid of the car and file complaints! Forums won't do anything.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts