Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New car in one month transmission was found faulty and replaced .
After the transmission replaced I went on To drive about 300 miles and suddenly at one point the electric brake system failed in the
Issue of road causing no brake followed by steering failed and somehow o managed to pull over without any major accident but me and my family scared to death . All systems started showing faulty .Towed to local Acura and they had to reprogram and forced me to take the car back . While driving back 300 miles to home we were highly anxious and scared . Now it is a new car making me nervous to drive . Unfortunately there is no clear explanation why this car is faulty . Acura corporate client experience is kum about it and still no commitment on what is next course of action .

·
Registered
175 Posts
So when you say faulty brakes and steering, did those systems actually stop working, or did you get alerts in the dash that they stopped working?

·
Registered
372 Posts
So when you say faulty brakes and steering, did those systems actually stop working, or did you get alerts in the dash that they stopped working?
As I said in the other thread, they likely "partially" stopped working (ABS, maybe brake boost, not sure). I don't think cars are "fly by wire" where ALL the braking and steering can just go dead via electronic glitch

·
Registered
58 Posts
Had something similar happen to me, but at very low speeds. These systems stopped working.

·
Registered
2022 MDX A-Spec / 2022 TLX Advance
515 Posts
After the transmission replaced I went on To drive about 300 miles and suddenly at one point the electric brake system failed in the
Issue of road causing no brake followed by steering failed and somehow o managed to pull over without any major accident but me and my family scared to death . All systems started showing faulty .Towed to local Acura and they had to reprogram and forced me to take the car back . While driving back 300 miles to home we were highly anxious and scared . Now it is a new car making me nervous to drive . Unfortunately there is no clear explanation why this car is faulty . Acura corporate client experience is kum about it and still no commitment on what is next course of action .
Not for nothing man, but I wanted to try and lend some advice here. Not sure if you Lease or Own, but trade-in values are absolutely incredible right now - even lease buyouts are great. If I were you, I’d have lost all faith in my MDX too (or any car for that fact). Have you tried just playing it cool and see if the dealership will take the car at the price you owe on it? Just tell them it’s not working out for your family and you’re going to try something different.

My wife is trading in her Mazda CX5 Carbon Turbo for a ‘22 TLX Advance this month and we bought the Carbon Turbo last March (before prices went whacky) for $30,500. The Acura dealership is giving us $31,000 for it. We’re actually up $500 on the CX-5 now and her payment on the TLX is going to be almost the same as she pays on the CX-5.

Just a thought. Not sure of your exact financial situation with the car and how much you owe on it/lease buyout, but something to consider.

·
Registered
43 Posts
They stopped working , I was fortunate to drive in a less crowded road with very low speed . I could pull over to an empty field .
Not wanting to sound like a jag here but if you say the steering stopped working completely how did you pull over? As Hogan asked, did the systems just become diminished somewhat as that is a huge difference from not working at all and could pose a major safety risk.

I had a Toyota Venza where the power steering stopped working, I drove it for a year like that before trading it in because I didn't want to spend the money to fix it on a car with 180,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Not wanting to sound like a jag here but if you say the steering stopped working completely how did you pull over? As Hogan asked, did the systems just become diminished somewhat as that is a huge difference from not working at all and could pose a major safety risk.

I had a Toyota Venza where the power steering stopped working, I drove it for a year like that before trading it in because I didn't want to spend the money to fix it on a car with 180,000 miles on it.
In my case, I was at very low speeds (backing up) when everything locked up. One of the error messages was about power steering (pic can be seen in the thread linked above).

I've driven cars without power steering before, but nothing of this size/weight. Regardless, the amount of effort needed to move the steering wheel was MUCH greater than I would expect with the power steering being dead.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Not for nothing man, but I wanted to try and lend some advice here. Not sure if you Lease or Own, but trade-in values are absolutely incredible right now - even lease buyouts are great. If I were you, I’d have lost all faith in my MDX too (or any car for that fact). Have you tried just playing it cool and see if the dealership will take the car at the price you owe on it? Just tell them it’s not working out for your family and you’re going to try something different.

My wife is trading in her Mazda CX5 Carbon Turbo for a ‘22 TLX Advance this month and we bought the Carbon Turbo last March (before prices went whacky) for $30,500. The Acura dealership is giving us $31,000 for it. We’re actually up $500 on the CX-5 now and her payment on the TLX is going to be almost the same as she pays on the CX-5.

Just a thought. Not sure of your exact financial situation with the car and how much you owe on it/lease buyout, but something to consider.
This is some solid advice, especially instead of bashing the op or questioning him to justify to the MDX is the best thing since sliced bread. If I had a transmission fail at that early stage I too would have sold the vehicle and jumped ship. I had a similar situation and actually did sell my 2022 at one point due to the horrible transmission.

·
Registered
43 Posts
In my case, I was at very low speeds (backing up) when everything locked up. One of the error messages was about power steering (pic can be seen in the thread linked above).

I've driven cars without power steering before, but nothing of this size/weight. Regardless, the amount of effort needed to move the steering wheel was MUCH greater than I would expect with the power steering being dead.
I'm not doubting that it happened, just wanting clarification on the extent of the steering being out in case something like that would happen to myself or any of the other MDX owners here.

I'm guessing I'd be pretty upset if I had even a fraction of the issues some people have had.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Talking to Acura on buy back option , this is a month old car bought on finance

·
Registered
372 Posts
This is some solid advice, especially instead of bashing the op or questioning him to justify to the MDX is the best thing since sliced bread. If I had a transmission fail at that early stage I too would have sold the vehicle and jumped ship. I had a similar situation and actually did sell my 2022 at one point due to the horrible transmission.
The few of us questioning the OP are not saying that this didn't happen or that he shouldn't be totally pissed! (I would be!)

But we are suggesting that it is not accurate to report as he has that he had "no steering" and "no brakes". Sorry, I wasn't there, yet I know that is not accurate. So for others who may be considering this car, they shouldn't be influenced by thinking their very lives are in danger because they will be driving with "no steering" and "no brakes", that's all

·
Registered
271 Posts
The few of us questioning the OP are not saying that this didn't happen or that he shouldn't be totally pissed! (I would be!)

But we are suggesting that it is not accurate to report as he has that he had "no steering" and "no brakes". Sorry, I wasn't there, yet I know that is not accurate. So for others who may be considering this car, they shouldn't be influenced by thinking their very lives are in danger because they will be driving with "no steering" and "no brakes", that's all
I get it. It just seems whenever someone speaks up against this car, everyone is rush to downplay the incident just to reassure themselves that it's a one off type incident and this is the greatest car there is. I was one of the first that reported the transmission issue and now it seems there are a lot more threads about it. I too had the brake light warning come up but it did not fail, apparently it's a known software issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just had the SAME thing happen to me with my newish 2022 MDX. I have 4300 miles on it. I had kids in the car and suddenly the breaking AND steering failed while driving! It was terrifying. Luckily I could slow to a stop and didn’t get in an accident.

·
Registered
6 Posts

This happened to me it’s terrifying! The steering wheel was locked and could not be turned while the car was moving and the break system failed. Luckily I was able to slow to a stop without turning. This is a serious safety concern.

·
Registered
71 Posts
This happened to me it’s terrifying! The steering wheel was locked and could not be turned while the car was moving and the break system failed. Luckily I was able to slow to a stop without turning. This is a serious safety concern.
Thanks for posting. This is alarming. Keep us posted on what the Dealer diagnosis is. Question. What is the production month of your MDX if you dont mind me asking? You can find it inside the door jam on driver’s side. When did you take delivery?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for posting. This is alarming. Keep us posted on what the Dealer diagnosis is. Question. What is the production month of your MDX if you dont mind me asking? You can find it inside the door jam on driver’s side. When did you take delivery?
It’s a 2022 MDX I picked it up at Goodson Acura brand new in June of 2021. Being picked up via roadside assistance shortly and taken to Goodson in Dallas. It has a little over 4000 miles. This came on very suddenly and while I had my children in the car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It’s a 2022 MDX I picked it up at Goodson Acura brand new in June of 2021. Being picked up via roadside assistance shortly and taken to Goodson in Dallas. It has a little over 4000 miles. This came on very suddenly and while I had my children in the car.
I will find out production month and more info.

·
Registered
563 Posts
When you say the brakes and steering failed, was it just very hard to push the brakes and very hard to steer? (This is the failure mode I’d expect) Or did you actually have a situation where you couldn’t turn the steering wheel and the brakes did nothing? Just trying to better understand your experience since the systems should fail to a mode where you can operate both, but without any electrical assistance meaning they will be difficult, but not impossible, to use.

Thanks, and glad you were able to get stopped safely.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts