Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made the decision to turn in my 2013 TL SH-AWD Tech and picked out a 2016 MDX SH-AWD Advance. My other car is a TLX SH-AWD Tech (Since Dec 14) and I thought I would share some impressions from the test drive and other aspects for the new MDX

MDX color choice - Crystal Black/Ebony

Fit/Finish: The MDX had very good fit/finish, doors shut with same qualities as my '13 TL, and panel alignment was perfect. Since I have never owner MDX before, I can only compare to TL, TLX. Build quality of MDX (Advance) is much better than TLX Tech in many ways.

Features: Many features are same as my TLX, although the MDX Advance has additional items like the seat ventilation, dimming side mirrors, Milano leather not present in the TLX Tech trim.

Test Drive: Since I have the TLX with 9AT transmission for comparison, the MDX feels much, much smoother. I liked how Sport mode in the MDX holds engine revs. My TLX 9AT has the lag between 2nd and 3rd but MDX was no problem.

Other thoughts:

Acura used to offer the Milano leather on previous generation vehicles such as TL with the Tech package. One of the main reasons I went with the Advance package on the MDX is to get the better leather. I wish I had done the same when I got the TLX instead of Tech package. I think the TL 4th generation had set the benchmark for seat comfort in Acura's lineup. The MDX seats would be a close runner-up. (I didn't check RLX, but didn't have interest in it anyway). TLX seats are no better/worse than Honda Accord EX-L trim level seats other than perhaps leather quality.

It is a little odd to me that Acura went with a conventional pedal parking brake on the MDX since TLX has same 9AT transmission and has electronic parking brake. Also, MDX does not have the brake hold feature button that TLX has. Overall, they reduce the transmission controls buttons by 2 compared to TLX so I guess it does make for a simpler layout. Not a big deal for me.

I will pick it up sometime next week

·
Registered
134 Posts
Congratulations ! I also had 2016 MDX Adv & Ent for about a month, liked it so far.
I liked the Milano leather and this is 1 of the reason I chose the advance package, rims for the advance also made it looks stand out.
Test drove Tech/Ent and did not like the leather seat until I saw the advance with Milano leather.
I added the fog lights, installed by the dealer. Self installed side steps, door moldings, mud guards.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Welcome! Please check with your dealer to see if TSB 15-034 has been applied to your vehicle already.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I made the decision to turn in my 2013 TL SH-AWD Tech and picked out a 2016 MDX SH-AWD Advance. My other car is a TLX SH-AWD Tech (Since Dec 14) and I thought I would share some impressions from the test drive and other aspects for the new MDX

MDX color choice - Crystal Black/Ebony

Fit/Finish: The MDX had very good fit/finish, doors shut with same qualities as my '13 TL, and panel alignment was perfect. Since I have never owner MDX before, I can only compare to TL, TLX. Build quality of MDX (Advance) is much better than TLX Tech in many ways.

Features: Many features are same as my TLX, although the MDX Advance has additional items like the seat ventilation, dimming side mirrors, Milano leather not present in the TLX Tech trim.

Test Drive: Since I have the TLX with 9AT transmission for comparison, the MDX feels much, much smoother. I liked how Sport mode in the MDX holds engine revs. My TLX 9AT has the lag between 2nd and 3rd but MDX was no problem.

Other thoughts:

Acura used to offer the Milano leather on previous generation vehicles such as TL with the Tech package. One of the main reasons I went with the Advance package on the MDX is to get the better leather. I wish I had done the same when I got the TLX instead of Tech package. I think the TL 4th generation had set the benchmark for seat comfort in Acura's lineup. The MDX seats would be a close runner-up. (I didn't check RLX, but didn't have interest in it anyway). TLX seats are no better/worse than Honda Accord EX-L trim level seats other than perhaps leather quality.

It is a little odd to me that Acura went with a conventional pedal parking brake on the MDX since TLX has same 9AT transmission and has electronic parking brake. Also, MDX does not have the brake hold feature button that TLX has. Overall, they reduce the transmission controls buttons by 2 compared to TLX so I guess it does make for a simpler layout. Not a big deal for me.

I will pick it up sometime next week
Congrats and thank you for confirming their is a difference between the car and SUV on how the 9 speed performs.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback -

I'm at about 450 miles so far on the new MDX, so it isn't really broken in yet.

Prior to this MDX, I had never owned one before and only rode in an '01 MDX.

Some things I have noticed:

-Both MDX '16 and TLX are same generation SH-AWD, but in MDX the SH-AWD seems more sensitive to kick in corners and I like that

-It drives like a taller TL only quieter, much better low end response

-Audio system is slightly better than TL, much better than TLX. TLX noise cancellation seems to have an impact, but can be turned off in diagnostic mode - Still MDX is much better.

-I installed front and rear dash cams in the MDX and it was super-easy to hide the wires under the panels.

-Navigation lag time from engine start is a little slower than previous TL older unit, but not too bad.

My driving is rural/small towns so I am only averaging about 20 mpg so far. I have a Florida trip coming upon in a few weeks and will see how it does for that.

I'm very satisfied with the MDX

·
Registered
837 Posts
Thanks for the feedback -

I'm at about 450 miles so far on the new MDX, so it isn't really broken in yet.

Prior to this MDX, I had never owned one before and only rode in an '01 MDX.

Some things I have noticed:

-Both MDX '16 and TLX are same generation SH-AWD, but in MDX the SH-AWD seems more sensitive to kick in corners and I like that

-It drives like a taller TL only quieter, much better low end response

-Audio system is slightly better than TL, much better than TLX. TLX noise cancellation seems to have an impact, but can be turned off in diagnostic mode - Still MDX is much better.

-I installed front and rear dash cams in the MDX and it was super-easy to hide the wires under the panels.

-Navigation lag time from engine start is a little slower than previous TL older unit, but not too bad.

My driving is rural/small towns so I am only averaging about 20 mpg so far. I have a Florida trip coming upon in a few weeks and will see how it does for that.

I'm very satisfied with the MDX
Which dash cams did you buy? Any installed photos?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In the MDX, I have a DOD Tech LS460W in front, and a DOD Tech LS430W in the back. I will take some photos and post later. I moved these cameras from my TLX, and also have Transcend DrivePro 220/100 cameras from the TL I turned in on the MDX - these are now in the TLX.

All are using adhesive mounts.

The front DOD Tech camera is mounted such that the display is just below the rear view mirror. Wire easily can be hidden between the rubber windshield surround, then into the plastic dash trim, and down below the glovebox. It is only visible where the power adapter is plugged in the outlet below the lower display screen. On MDX, the outlet/cover is not deep enough to allow closing the lid. If it were hard-wired, this wouldn't be an issue. The front camera is not to difficult to see from the outside if a person is looking, but the rear camera isn't because of the tinting and the ebony interior. My TLX is white with graystone interior and the cameras stand out and are not very discreet.

The rear camera is mounted high on the rear decklid glass about 8 inches from the edge on the left side. The wire goes under the weatherstripping at the hinge, then through the decklid harness area, under the plastic roof trim, then between trim until it reaches the rear power socket on the left side. The headliner trim has clips and you can pull it off and snap it back on when finished. Only thing is to leave enough slack since the decklid has to open/close but not so much as it can get in the hinges.

I will take some pictures - and post so you can see.

As far as the cameras, I think the DOD's are really good day and night for video quality. For the money though, the Transcend cameras have daytime video quality that is almost as good, and decent at night too. The DOD's seem to have much deeper colors but no gain in resolution. I tested all of them at various speeds and tried to distinguish if any of these cameras was better in terms of reading text like on a license plate. All were about the same in daytime. DOD is clearly better at night. Both Transcend and DOD cameras can use 64Gb microSD cards so they're good for up to 10 hours. Both DOD's and the Transcend DrivePro 220 have GPS. The DOD's GPS samples at 5X per second so it is pretty accurate - but again at a higher price.

I have not had any issues with cameras getting too hot or errors.

Software - DOD comes with Mac and PC software. I'm a Mac user so that was a plus. Transcend is PC only for their software. All of them will work on either system using Quicktime or Windows Media Player, but you don't get to see the maps, etc. that the maker software provides.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pictures of dash cam install:

Front exterior - camera is visible through windshield in front of the rear view mirror. I will probably take a black sharpie marker and blackout the white lettering on the camera as I have done on others. Not sure why makers put the lettering on them anyway - seems contradictory to purpose.

Cabin - a view of the front camera with the display just below the rear view mirror. I have it set for digital MPH and compass display - e.g. it displays video for a few seconds after engine is started then goes to the MPH display.

Front2 - a side view with the mount more visible. The wire is easily pushed under the rubber windshield surround once you get around the LKAS camera pod above the rear view mirror.

Front3 - The wire goes from windshield surround to the interior door gasket ( a little of wire is visible in the shot near the circular vent at the gasket edge - usually I use a flat rounded plastic tool to push the wire between trim, but it was especially tight for a couple of inches here, but not so visible anyway.)

From there, it can be pushed behind the dash plastic, then run below the glovebox under the plastic and behind the plastic trim (where plastic meets carpet) and around to the power plug in front of the cupholder.

Rear_ext - you can just barely see the rear camera edge just to the right of the left headrest. I think in most circumstances this camera would never be noticed from the outside. I already blacked out the white lettering on this camera.

Rear - With the lift gate open, camera is visible as is the wire which goes under the gray plastic trim and the gasket - keeping enough slack to fold when the lift gate closes. The trim has clips - you can pull it off and pop it back on. Note: I also looked at running the wire through the harness at the top left but it didn't get me to where I needed so I did it this way then opened and closed the lid several times to make sure it folded on the inside rather than getting pinched.

Rear2 - wire runs between carpeted base to rear door trim. Note that it will not interfere with the 3rd row in any way.

Rear3 - An inside shot of the rear camera. You need to pull off the center gray plastic trim on the inside - from there it can just be pushed behind the trim along the headliner to the rear passenger door interior rubber surround. Note this is not the most direct route to the power outlet, but it does allow wire to be hidden better.

Because of the multiple power outlets, MDX is pretty easy to do 2 cameras. I could probably route the front wire to the center console storage power socket but I didn't see an easy route to get inside it. In my TLX, I used a splitter and ran both cameras to the center console.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Good pics - thanks for posting.

Just wondering - why dis you get the dash cams? Is it mostly just for fun or is it for the purpose of documentation in case of an accident or something - or do you drive in Russia a lot?

Have you ever captured something pretty interesting on the dash cam?

Suggestion for Acura and other manufacturers - now that cameras are being built into vehicles to handle the lane keeping, etc. they should either dual purpose those cams or house another cam in the same housing, with an SD card slot (or store to the built-in HDD or the USB) to use as a dash cam. I think a lot of purchasers would be interested in a built-in unit as long as it was of decent quality and competitively priced.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good pics - thanks for posting.

Just wondering - why dis you get the dash cams? Is it mostly just for fun or is it for the purpose of documentation in case of an accident or something - or do you drive in Russia a lot?

Have you ever captured something pretty interesting on the dash cam?

Suggestion for Acura and other manufacturers - now that cameras are being built into vehicles to handle the lane keeping, etc. they should either dual purpose those cams or house another cam in the same housing, with an SD card slot (or store to the built-in HDD or the USB) to use as a dash cam. I think a lot of purchasers would be interested in a built-in unit as long as it was of decent quality and competitively priced.
I added the camera after my daughter was clipped (no injuries) and the other vehicle left the scene. Unfortunately, the area where I live has a lot of substance abuse issues and I found that it was becoming a more common trend for drivers not wanting law enforcement attention to leave the scene.

I anticipate several of the larger insurance companies in the US will start to offer discounts for dash cams in the future but there isn't much of a market here yet.

I captured some neat footage last winter of my TLX SH-AWD going up a 35 degree hill with snow up to the bottom of the car without slipping. The snow plow was actually about 300 feet behind me. I took the video to work and made some SH-AWD converts.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I would have liked to have had one back when I did a lot of 4-wheeling (deserts, mountains) but that was before the dash cams became available. It would have been interesting to watch my descent down elephant hill in Utah Canyonlands NP (not in an MDX - obviously).

Your purpose makes sense. I guess the downside is if it makes people more inclined to break in - like having a radar detector dangling there - or can you quickly detach the front one when you park somewhere? The rear one is likely obscured and not so obvious due to the tinting.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would have liked to have had one back when I did a lot of 4-wheeling (deserts, mountains) but that was before the dash cams became available. It would have been interesting to watch my descent down elephant hill in Utah Canyonlands NP (not in an MDX - obviously).

Your purpose makes sense. I guess the downside is if it makes people more inclined to break in - like having a radar detector dangling there - or can you quickly detach the front one when you park somewhere? The rear one is likely obscured and not so obvious due to the tinting.
The cameras come off easily - unplug a mini USB cable and slide or pull off of the mount which stays attached.

I think removal would be useful too if involved in an accident - one could show the footage to law enforcement at the scene which would could influence the accident report.

I don't remove the camera when I park it - unless at a motel, remote parking area, etc.

While my line of work is auto industry, I also have quite a bit of experience with surveillance systems and that might have been one reason I was an early adopter for the dash cams. Surveillance is at its best as a deterrent in most static cases such as workplace, home, traffic signals, amusement parks, etc. when it is known to be present. It increases risk and difficulty for criminal mischief. Criminals will most likely choose the easy route when they have opportunities and bypass challenges. I often tell people cheap "surveillance" signs are a good investment even if they don't have a system installed for this reason.

Many dash cams have the ability to be hard-wired with battery protection such they can also function when the car is parked and not running using motion detection technology. The current technology for this use isn't on par yet with static placed surveillance cameras but it will be soon enough. One challenge is night vision IR from a camera on the inside glass is not very effective at night. The other challenge is that the best technology practice is cloud storage - e.g. breaking in to a home or business for theft and stealing the recording hardware to prevent identification/prosecution is not effective if the video footage is stored on cloud/offsite. This is not really an option for a vehicle camera system - but some cameras can record to a DVR that could be secured in the glovebox or a small safe tethered to a hard point on the vehicle.

I wish it wasn't the case, but I expect this to be a growth industry in the US.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Pictures of dash cam install:

Front exterior - camera is visible through windshield in front of the rear view mirror. I will probably take a black sharpie marker and blackout the white lettering on the camera as I have done on others. Not sure why makers put the lettering on them anyway - seems contradictory to purpose.

Cabin - a view of the front camera with the display just below the rear view mirror. I have it set for digital MPH and compass display - e.g. it displays video for a few seconds after engine is started then goes to the MPH display.

Front2 - a side view with the mount more visible. The wire is easily pushed under the rubber windshield surround once you get around the LKAS camera pod above the rear view mirror.

Front3 - The wire goes from windshield surround to the interior door gasket ( a little of wire is visible in the shot near the circular vent at the gasket edge - usually I use a flat rounded plastic tool to push the wire between trim, but it was especially tight for a couple of inches here, but not so visible anyway.)

From there, it can be pushed behind the dash plastic, then run below the glovebox under the plastic and behind the plastic trim (where plastic meets carpet) and around to the power plug in front of the cupholder.

Rear_ext - you can just barely see the rear camera edge just to the right of the left headrest. I think in most circumstances this camera would never be noticed from the outside. I already blacked out the white lettering on this camera.

Rear - With the lift gate open, camera is visible as is the wire which goes under the gray plastic trim and the gasket - keeping enough slack to fold when the lift gate closes. The trim has clips - you can pull it off and pop it back on. Note: I also looked at running the wire through the harness at the top left but it didn't get me to where I needed so I did it this way then opened and closed the lid several times to make sure it folded on the inside rather than getting pinched.

Rear2 - wire runs between carpeted base to rear door trim. Note that it will not interfere with the 3rd row in any way.

Rear3 - An inside shot of the rear camera. You need to pull off the center gray plastic trim on the inside - from there it can just be pushed behind the trim along the headliner to the rear passenger door interior rubber surround. Note this is not the most direct route to the power outlet, but it does allow wire to be hidden better.

Because of the multiple power outlets, MDX is pretty easy to do 2 cameras. I could probably route the front wire to the center console storage power socket but I didn't see an easy route to get inside it. In my TLX, I used a splitter and ran both cameras to the center console.
Thanks for this!!!! I have this one:

BlackVue - Full HD 1080p Dash Cameras with GPS

Will add a rear dash cam soon.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for this!!!! I have this one:

BlackVue - Full HD 1080p Dash Cameras with GPS

Will add a rear dash cam soon.
I've heard good things about Blackvue and it looks like you get the wifi to display on phone with that one. Makes sense and it eliminates the need for the LCD on the camera. The software screenshots look to be almost same as DOD Tech's.

One more thing - when you mount the rear camera, it is OK for the adhesive mount to touch the rear defroster trace or you can carefully cut a channel with a hobby knife e.g. a trench dividing the adhesive surface. Your camera mount may be narrow enough to fit between the defroster trace but I couldn't tell by looking. A good thing to do is mount it as high on the glass as you can but have as much of the adhesive contact area as possible above the defroster trace even if the bottom does touch it. If/When you remove it, you can use dental floss to "saw" through it about halfway and you can then gently pry it off avoiding any potential damage to the defroster trace.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts