Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Must be nice to be a pillar of cognitive health. As pirate mentioned, walk-away auto-lock also prevents you from having to reach in your pocket to press lock when you go anywhere else in the world that isn’t your garage. I have all of the motorized features turned off to save motors and battery, so looking at the mirrors wouldn’t work for me, especially when I’m already in my office at work and wondering if I locked the car.
As I said. I use the buttons on the doors to lock the car. I use all the features the car comes with. I can’t imagine buying features on a car, then being afraid to use them because of being afraid of failure. I fold the mirrors,move the seat and the steering wheel. I’ve had 1 power window go out in the history of power windows. I’ve never had a power seat go out.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
I only wish the mirrors only unfolded when I unlock the drivers door. Having the mirrors unfold when I’m putting something in the back seat doesn’t make sense.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I just leave the fob in the car while in the garage. Yeah I know the manual says not to do that but that's the story for just about every car in my garage and it hasn't caused any problems in 10+ years of owning cars with keyless fobs. Maybe the fob battery dies earlier but I don't think I've had to replace one at <2 years so I'll live with that to always have a key where I want it. Anywhere else I park I want it to lock when I walk away so it's one of the better features for me.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
The auto fold mirrors is my double-check to make sure the vehicle is locked. Sometimes the vehicle doesn't lock back up if I just open/close the rear hatch to drop something off in the back when shopping or running errands. I listen for confirmation beep and folding mirrors for being locked or the rapid beeps if unlocked as I walk away.

I had to go with color coded key fob holders for my MDX and RLX because all four look alike. My covers are black and graystone for the RLX/MDX interior colors and the wife's are red and blue for the exterior colors. I can just grab and stuff the oversize fob in my front pocket or jacket and don't have to think about it. I leave the fob in the vehicle if I'm washing it because the doors lock/unlock and the mirrors fold/unfold because of the water running over the door handles if I have the key in my pocket.

Amazon, $13, Acura FOB covers for remote start:

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
The auto fold mirrors is my double-check to make sure the vehicle is locked. Sometimes the vehicle doesn't lock back up if I just open/close the rear hatch to drop something off in the back when shopping or running errands. I listen for confirmation beep and folding mirrors for being locked or the rapid beeps if unlocked as I walk away.

I had to go with color coded key fob holders for my MDX and RLX because all four look alike. My covers are black and graystone for the RLX/MDX interior colors and the wife's are red and blue for the exterior colors. I can just grab and stuff the oversize fob in my front pocket or jacket and don't have to think about it. I leave the fob in the vehicle if I'm washing it because the doors lock/unlock and the mirrors fold/unfold because of the water running over the door handles if I have the key in my pocket.

Amazon, $13, Acura FOB covers for remote start:
I don’t know when they changed it but, the car no longer unlocks when I go in the hatch.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I don’t know when they changed it but, the car no longer unlocks when I go in the hatch.
I think I have the option in the user set-up on the 19 MDXs to open the rear hatch by handle or FOB with the doors locked or unlocked (FOB needs to be in range for the handle open).

·
Registered
1 Posts
That's not apples-to-apples at all. The Pilot engine was lower compression and not tuned for premium fuel. The 2005 Pilot was rated 255hp on regular fuel (per Edmunds specs). The MDX is rated 290hp on premium fuel, otherwise it will adjust timing and reduce power. The owners manual clearly states that using less than 91 octane fuel will result in decreased engine performance. I've never seen Acura publish what that difference amounts to, but other manufacturers do and in those models it's worked out to about a 10% reduction. If that's consistent for the Acura engine, your MDX is only putting out in the low 260's.
One more item to consider is using Top Tier gasoline (Costco, Citgo, Exxon and others too). Look for the green Top Tier sticker on the pumps. Top Tier gasoline is formulated with proper amount of detergents and engine cleaning additives.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
One more thing to add that's annoying- so annoying I have to add it to the list! The rear hatch takes F-O-R-E-V-E-R to open and shut. Are people really too weak now to open and shut a gas-hinged hatchback on their own? I can understand an option to remotely open it when your hands are full, but to be forced to wait for that thing to open and close when operating by hand ?!? ... in my old Honda Pilot I was in and out in seconds no issue.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
If I counted all the time I wasted waiting for the hatch to open. It must be minutes. How will I ever get that time back? You are literally talking seconds.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
One more thing to add that's annoying- so annoying I have to add it to the list! The rear hatch takes F-O-R-E-V-E-R to open and shut. Are people really too weak now to open and shut a gas-hinged hatchback on their own? I can understand an option to remotely open it when your hands are full, but to be forced to wait for that thing to open and close when operating by hand ?!? ... in my old Honda Pilot I was in and out in seconds no issue.
I do like that the 2nd gen allows you to close/open manually if you want. The 3rd gen is slow but I don't see it taking up much valuable time. Particularly when closing...you just push the button and walk away.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
I do like that the 2nd gen allows you to close/open manually if you want. The 3rd gen is slow but I don't see it taking up much valuable time. Particularly when closing...you just push the button and walk away.
But in the 14,you can’t lock it until the hatch is closed.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts