Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI all. Just wanted to check in. Recently purchased a new to me 2013 MDX with the Tech/Tow package. It is a CPO with 44K. All the research I did prior to the purchase revealed no significant issues with the MDX. It's safe and will run for quite a while with regular upkeep. Anyway, just want to see if there is anything I need to keep an eye on or watch for down the road.

This thing handles and drives great!

Thanks, Jon

Attachments

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Not much to watch for on these. The '10+ have been extremely reliable. Some folks have reported oil use but mine uses 0 between 8k-9k mile intervals. I've complained about the lazy transmission shifting since about day 5 of ownership, but that's not a reliability issue. We're approaching 100k miles and haven't done a thing to it. Even still have original front pads with plenty of life left.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Skinny2, nice to hear this! Nice luxury SUV without the upkeep....

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Congrats and in any case keep in mind about the oil consumption issues..
Is the number 1 complaint on the 2010-2013 models.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Congrats on the new ride and welcome to the family!

The OEM battery always seems to be a weak point. I've had 3 Acura and the 100 month battery lasted no more than 3-4 years on average (never got past 48 months with OEM battery). Any replacement battery from Costco, Sears, Sams, interstate, etc... most likely to be an upgrade to OEM.

Map updates can be a little expensive because you have to purchase new from Acura (Navi can't accept used Navi DVDs). Updates only come out once a year in the early fall. The prices vary from $199 in the fall, $149 in the spring, and down to $99 by summer (same exact update offered every time). I usually update every 3rd year and wait until it gets down to $99.

We also sometimes get "warped brakes"; which, is really the OEM pad materials being transferred to the rotors unevenly. It can happen within 20k or after +75K of driving. Turning the rotors does help; but, it will come back sooner or later depending on your driving style. Different aftermarket pads with or without aftermarket rotors seems eliminate the issue.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mrgold35 thanks for the info.... I wonder if since it's a CPO if the dealer would have upgraded the Navi. Any Recommendation on pads and rotors? I do actually notice some vibration on occasion but trying to figure out if it's the road or brakes.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Since your MDX is a 13, most likely the Navi DVD database is from 2012 if the previous owner didn't upgrade. My 11 MDX was a lease return and the disk wasn't updated when I purchased in 2014.

I purchased my MDX 5 hours out of state and I was really disappointed in the ride home. It only has 30k on OEM tires and the MDX felt a little squirrely and didn't track straight on the hwy at 80 mph. In the next 6,000 miles I ended up:
- upgrading the rims/tires to 20" Conti DWS
- alignment (it was off)
- replaced worn front endlink because of a torn boot
- replaced front magnetic struts

She now eats asphalt like a juggernaut, even at 90 mph, on the hwy. Other than the tires, rims, and alignment; everything was covered by the basic 4/50k warranty. I would make sure every little issue you might have is checked out before the 4/50k warranty runs out. I had minor issues that was covered by the basic warranty like:

- 2nd row cup holder didn't pop out, replaced
- driver key fob buttons took 1-4 presses to work sometimes, replaced
- check charging system yellow light, firmware update
- 6AT reflash (should have been applied to all MDXs since 2012)
- passenger seat heater replaced
- adjusted the HIDs headlight level (aimed way too low)

You might have to do a search to get a wider range of possible brake pads and rotor upgrades that will work for the MDX. I went with the HeelToe stage II brake upgrade kit (Racing brake slotted rotors, steel braided brake lines and Carbotech 1521 pads, $1000). I have almost 60,000 miles on the combo with zero hint of warping. The Racing brake rotors are suppose to be good for 4-5 pad changes before you need to turn.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts