Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It wasn't a bargain or anything but to find a basically brand new car for a reasonable price with some cool extras made me very happy. And with the color combination I wanted!

5500 miles! Silver with Taupe (?) interior. I like the light interior color scheme especially for the Miami Beach heat. It has the dealer installed 20 inch rims which I'm kind of meh about and would never have installed myself, but hey...meh. It has a pretty heavy duty tow package and running boards as well as some heavy duty interior mats and the 3M rocker panel guard treatment.

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

I don't ever tow anything but it's nice to know if I ever have a mid life crisis I'm all set to tow my jet skis or quads or whatever.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
NICE!!!

The rim/tire combo is about $2000-$2500, advance running board for $500-$600, and OEM tow saved you another $500-$750 in parts/labor. With that mileage and accessories, you might have came out more ahead on the deal than you think.

Now will be the time if you needed to added anything else like roof rack, back up sensors or front garnish before they dry up.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NICE!!!

The rim/tire combo is about $2000-$2500, advance running board for $500-$600, and OEM tow saved you another $500-$750 in parts/labor. With that mileage and accessories, you might have came out more ahead on the deal than you think.

Now will be the time if you needed to added anything else like roof rack, back up sensors or front garnish before they dry up.
Final price was just under 34k. A bit more than I would have liked but I wasn't about to let this thing go over a couple grand.

Front garnish? Hmmmm what is this "front garnish" you speak of? The front end is a touch on the "plain" side.

Backup sensors? It has the camera... is that like the radar thingys on my Lexus that beep as I inch closer to an obstacle?

We didn't use the roof rack on the 2002 in 13 years of ownership. But why do I still want one?

The dealer gave me a 10% discount card on accessories.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I think it would look great if you toned the (gaudy chrome ) wheels down to a light gray with plasti-dip (see youtube for videos if you aren't familiar with the stuff). (I prefer the black interior, but even in Indiana the heat from the dash can be intense, so you made the right choice).

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Final price was just under 34k. A bit more than I would have liked but I wasn't about to let this thing go over a couple grand.

Front garnish? Hmmmm what is this "front garnish" you speak of? The front end is a touch on the "plain" side.

Backup sensors? It has the camera... is that like the radar thingys on my Lexus that beep as I inch closer to an obstacle?

We didn't use the roof rack on the 2002 in 13 years of ownership. But why do I still want one?

The dealer gave me a 10% discount card on accessories.
About now is the time any OEM accessories are getting very hard to find for the previous model years. I wouldn't wait for a OEM accessories 1-2 years down the road. There are a lot of aftermarket solutions that will work also; but, they look aftermarket like the roof racks or running boards.

I liked the look of my front garnish on my MDX with the same exterior color as yours. This is what it looks like from the web:

I did the back-up sensors because the camera and the MDX back-up lights are so poor at night. The brake lights give you more visibility than the back-up lights. The sensors really do come in handy in tight quarters when visibility is zero to low at night. I even use this I found on Amazon for $16: Blazer C8020 Back-Up / Utility Light. It just slides in and connects into your wiring harness and turns on every time you put it into reverse. Since it slides in/out, I put a hose clamp to keep it from walking off.

I also had to upgrade my HIDs because they looked so dim. I did the Osram Xenarc 66240 D2S CBI Bulbs for about $140 on Amazon. They look like they are 20%-25% brighter than OEM.

I get use from my roof rack because I have a roof cargo box for extra storage. I love using the cargo box for the beach because I can store all the long items like the beach umbrellas and chairs on the roof to make room for more passengers in the X. Also used my roof box to carry skis and extra storage while on vacation (you can never have too much space when on vacation). Since you have a hitch, you can do a cargo tray with bag. I ended up doing both for my trip from New Mexico to Florida:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Nice find! I like the wheels as they are. Is it a CPO?

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Congrats! Those are OEM 20" accessory rims for the ZDX and look fantastic on the MDX.

I agree with the front garnish and getting other accessories now versus later. If you don't plan on using the roof rack I wouldn't bother. Some people install it for the look but it makes wind noise and hurts MPG. Our van came pre-installed and at first I thought it was a waste of money, but we have used it with a cargo carrier a few times and it can be helpful.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Manny, you found a great MDX there. I just purchased a 2012 base. I wish I had found one with the upgraded stereo because i'm big on quality music. I live in Kendall, just about 20-30 minutes south of you. If you ever want to switch to the OEM 18 inch rims, I would love those 20's. No rush.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like the front plate. It seems to be useful as well as adding a little something visual. All that bling with the wheels then nothing up front! :)

I'm also very pleased to hear the exponential improvement in the sound system from the '02. The first gen sound system was a joke. This one is not, although I'm a little annoyed at the lack of FLAC support. Is the technology guy at Acura someone's uncle Morty? DVD-A was a nice surprise. I had no idea it was part of the deal.

The back up sensors also sound like a prudent investment.

I will probably also go for one of those rear-mounted cargo box things. I'm having a ball seeing all the bike rack options and BBQs and all sorts of fun and screwy things a towing rig can be used for. Now I want a tow bar on the LS 430!

Hey SQL, once I'm done with the antibiotics for my stupid tooth (I ate a $3000 piece of peanut brittle...it cracked my rearmost molar in half...so...you know.. implant) we should get together for a beer and some bench racing. You can enjoy the rims up close...lol.

And yes...it's a CPO.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Sorry about the tooth. Yes, we definitely should grab a few beers sometime. I see you mention FLAC so I know you are into quality music. I'm in the process of upgrading my entire music system. I think the stock system sounds pretty good in my base however. I will be upgrading everything except for the head unit right now. Helix processor, a few amps and and all the speakers. It would be nice to have be able to set crossover frequencies, time alignment and having a 31 band eq. I install a system in my last car and this will be my second system installing. I think I read enough online to be able to pull it off.

Man, as I mention before, you found a gem here. I searched and looked at 13, yes, 13 MDX before I settled on mine. And one of the reason I made the purchase is because it had 16k miles and the inside was in mint condition.

I'll pm you my # so we can keep in touch.

·
Registered
134 Posts
About now is the time any OEM accessories are getting very hard to find for the previous model years. I wouldn't wait for a OEM accessories 1-2 years down the road. There are a lot of aftermarket solutions that will work also; but, they look aftermarket like the roof racks or running boards.

I liked the look of my front garnish on my MDX with the same exterior color as yours. This is what it looks like from the web:
I can't find one of those for the 2012. I like it, do you have a PN?

·
Registered
798 Posts
Congrats.

You forgot to mention that you got the optional OEM weather mats. I found mine to be a lifesaver in snow but for you, I think it would serve the purpose of keeping sand embedded in your regular carpeting/mats for when you hit beach. ;) Did you also get the trunk cargo mat? That is also very handy.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I can't find one of those for the 2012. I like it, do you have a PN?
I don't know the part number. I think: 08P46-STX-200B. I order a lot of parts from Curry Acura Parts: www.curryacuraparts.com/tl

Curry Acura prices always include shipping in the cost (about $375). You might find it cheaper on another website; but, sometime they make up the price up in the shipping. I also would double-check with your dealership because they sometimes can give you faster and free shipping (2-3 days compared to 1-2 weeks online). They can even give you a break on labor if you do several items together. I did the roof rack, running boards, trailer hitch, and fender trim at the same time with the front garnish.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Congrats.

You forgot to mention that you got the optional OEM weather mats. I found mine to be a lifesaver in snow but for you, I think it would serve the purpose of keeping sand embedded in your regular carpeting/mats for when you hit beach. ;) Did you also get the trunk cargo mat? That is also very handy.
Yep. Big heavy duty mat that folds in three? Got that.

I found out who the previous owner was. A very wealthy guy we have all bought products from, he lived all over the place so he rarely drove it. When he passed away, it was cheaper for the estate to let the lease run out than to give it back to the dealer.

The only problem now is all the ectoplasm I have to clean up all the time. ;)

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't know the part number. I think: 08P46-STX-200B. I order a lot of parts from Curry Acura Parts: www.curryacuraparts.com/tl

Curry Acura prices always include shipping in the cost (about $375). You might find it cheaper on another website; but, sometime they make up the price up in the shipping. I also would double-check with your dealership because they sometimes can give you faster and free shipping (2-3 days compared to 1-2 weeks online). They can even give you a break on labor if you do several items together. I did the roof rack, running boards, trailer hitch, and fender trim at the same time with the front garnish.
The front garnish alone looks like a driveway install. I doubt I would pay for that alone. But the rest of the stuff would be a lot more involved.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts