249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this available at http://www.hondacuraworld.com/

Acura MDX Backup Sensors

Customer Rating: not yet rated
Quantity in Basket: none
Code: AMBS
Price: $578.00

For 2003 model year MDX. Two rear and two corner sensors emit audible beeps to the driver while backing up - signaling objects as they approach. Rear corner sensors give off a high-pitched "beep" while rear center sensors create a lower pitched "beep". An included on/off switch is mounted to the interior on the "D" pillar to silence the system when it is not wanted. Price includes install kit.

·
Registered
125 Posts
This sounds like the exact system (and I would assume that it is) that I have on my Pilot. It works pretty well. The only thing I don't like about it is that it sounds one beep every time you put the car in reverse. Other than that, it's great!

Also, the Honda system doesn't cost that much. I would be curious to see if they changed the sensors or not. The sensors for the Pilot are black with recessed "tunnels" that contain the actual sensor. I've seen better looking ones on a cadillac that had color keyed sensors that were nearly flush with the bumper.

Chris

*************EDIT**************
I just noticed that the price shown includes installation. That could account for the increased price over the Honda version.

·
Registered
699 Posts
xyzzy said:
...The only thing I don't like about it is that it sounds one beep every time you put the car in reverse. Other than that, it's great!
They probably put the beep every time you switch to reverse so you know it's working. Otherwise, if it ever broke, you could back up thinking it was watching out for you and end up smacking something. :3:

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
The sensors are no big deal especially for the price. You could get an after-market sensor system for $100-150 that does the same basic thing for the few seconds you are ever in reverse. And they look about same. You don't have the corner sensors though, for what that's worth.
I think they all beep once when put in reverse to indicate the system is working.
Quite a difference in price between the Odyssey, Pilot and MDX for what's probably the same electronics.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
xyzzy said:
This sounds like the exact system (and I would assume that it is) that I have on my Pilot. It works pretty well. The only thing I don't like about it is that it sounds one beep every time you put the car in reverse. Other than that, it's great!

Also, the Honda system doesn't cost that much. I would be curious to see if they changed the sensors or not. The sensors for the Pilot are black with recessed "tunnels" that contain the actual sensor. I've seen better looking ones on a cadillac that had color keyed sensors that were nearly flush with the bumper.

Chris

I just noticed that the price shown includes installation. That could account for the increased price over the Honda version.
Actually price says it includes install kit, not installation.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
xyzzy said:

Chris

Before I ordered my 03 MDX, I test drove a 2002 MB ML 500 with front and rear sensors. When this SUV got within about 2 feet of an object the sensor beeped once, that was it. I was unimpressed with both the sensor and the SUV.

Is the system in the pilot similiar?

I have heard of sensor systems that beep faster the closer you get to an object, then emit a continuous beep once the car is very close.

How does the pilot sensor work?

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
For that price, why not get the backup camera instead?

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
MDXtrous said:
EXACTLY!!!
Sounds like they threw the sensor system together as a second thought. I believe the Poron as well as my cheapie, give you a solid tone within a foot of the object.
Even with only 2 sensors it will warn me if the corners of the vehicle are too close to walls, etc.
All that for $100 (now $90) and a couple of hours of my labor.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
DaleB said:
...I believe the Poron as well as my cheapie, give you a solid tone within a foot of the object.
Dale,

You are almost correct, Poron detects obstacles starting at 8 feet. The frequency of the tone increases the closer you get. In addition to the tone change, a female voice tells you the distance from the obstacle at 8 feet, 5 feet, 3 feet, 2 feet, 12 inches, "crash" at which point the tone changes to a pulsing "v-woo---v-woo---v-woo" (this is from the Poron instructions manual) sound rather than a solid tone.

Either your system at $100 or Poron system at $129 is a much better value than the $578 Acura backup sensors.

·
Registered
125 Posts
MDXtrous said:
Because I don't have NAV, and displaying the camera view on the 2nd row RES display wouldn't help unless I'm going to rely on my 6 and 4 year old kids to tell daddy how close he is. :D

The Pilot system (and I assume the new MDX system) has 4 sensors. The two in the middle sound with a lower tone than the ones on the sides. This actually does help in cases where you might be swinging into where a pole is on the side of the road or parking garage because you can hear both proximity to a car/wall behind and pole/car on the side. It works pretty well. The beeps start at about 6 feet or so, and increase in frequency as you get closer. At about 12 inches it becomes a solid tone. The Honda version also requires drilling into the bumper, but it also allows means that all of the wiring is done behind the bumper and only a black grommet sticks out from the bumper surface.

The best part about the system I have on the Pilot is that it was free. The story goes like this: I called around a few nearby cities looking for the Pilot with RES in Evergreen. I found one in Louisville (about 110 miles away) but the sales guy said it already had side steps and backup sensors installed. I had already planned to add sidesteps but wasn't interested in backup sensors. The sales guys reply was "well, the holes are already in the bumper, so I can't take them back off. I just won't charge you for them." Pretty nice of him, I thought. I've since grown to appreciate them, but still don't know if I'd pay that much for them on my next vehicle.

Chris

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
mgmdx said:

Dale,

You are almost correct, Poron detects obstacles starting at 8 feet. The frequency of the tone increases the closer you get. In addition to the tone change, a female voice tells you the distance from the obstacle at 8 feet, 5 feet, 3 feet, 2 feet, 12 inches, "crash" at which point the tone changes to a pulsing "v-woo---v-woo---v-woo" (this is from the Poron instructions manual) sound rather than a solid tone.

Either your system at $100 or Poron system at $129 is a much better value than the $578 Acura backup sensors.
My system is now $89 and we have a report on here of one that is $50 (1 sensor) in a VW Jetta that works great too. We don't have the 'voice' though just a solid tone, and the range starts at 5 - 6 ft. instead of 8 ft.
But $400 can't buy you much of an improvement in any case.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I see the latest Poron systems run about $150. Sensors are under the bumper, so as not to be visible. 3 sensors voice response with distance repots.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
DaleB said:
Poron was my first choice until I got a hitch and then the hitch-step, which ruled it out.
But they all do the same basic thing. Very useful devices.
I see the newest Poron sensors hang from clips below the bumper. I wonder if they would work with the hitch and the hitch step?

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
HrdTsk said:

I see the newest Poron sensors hang from clips below the bumper. I wonder if they would work with the hitch and the hitch step?
As long as they hang from below the bumper the signal will be reflecting off the hitch step, giving false indications or blocking a true obstacle from being detected..
Let's assume you only have a hitch, and not a hitch step....
What do you do about the center sensor? put it on either side of the hitch receiver so it is no longer in the center?

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
DaleB said:

As long as they hang from below the bumper the signal will be reflecting off the hitch step, giving false indications or blocking a true obstacle from being detected..
Let's assume you only have a hitch, and not a hitch step....
What do you do about the center sensor? put it on either side of the hitch receiver so it is no longer in the center?
With hitch-only, you could mount it off center but aim it towards the middle?

Or, you mount the center sensor TO the underside of the hitch receiver itself, and just aim it a little higher (the Poron sensors can tilt up/down).

I don't have a hitch, so I'm just guessing that would avoid the hitch as an obstruction.

I think w/a hitch step you're SOL...2 outside sensors only, or in-bumper sensors would be needed.

·
Registered
449 Posts
HrdTsk said:

The poron sensors do come with the bracket for you to mount it underneath the bumper. However, you can mount it to your bumper by using the doublesided tape provided. You can do a pretty clean install by hiding the wiring underneath the car and the rear bumper cover. I mounted my poron sensors on my bumper instead of underneath it. As my driveway slopes down, mounting the sensors underneath drives it nuts whenever I back out of my driveway.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
TheWorm said:

With hitch-only, you could mount it off center but aim it towards the middle?

Or, you mount the center sensor TO the underside of the hitch receiver itself, and just aim it a little higher (the Poron sensors can tilt up/down).

I don't have a hitch, so I'm just guessing that would avoid the hitch as an obstruction.

I think w/a hitch step you're SOL...2 outside sensors only, or in-bumper sensors would be needed.
You can not 'aim' towards the center. If you angle at all from a straight position, it will be looking to the side, not the center. Picture a straight beam emanating from the center of the sensor.
Under the hitch it will be very susceptible to damage.
Tilting should not be a problem. But it takes just the slightest angle.

As Kishino found out, attaching to the face of the bumper is most effective with a hitch, if not the best asthetically.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
DaleB said:

You can not 'aim' towards the center. If you angle at all from a straight position, it will be looking to the side, not the center. Picture a straight beam emanating from the center of the sensor.
Under the hitch it will be very susceptible to damage.
Tilting should not be a problem. But it takes just the slightest angle.

As Kishino found out, attaching to the face of the bumper is most effective with a hitch, if not the best asthetically.
Agreed, mounting direct to the bumper is the better alternative. Kishino - you have any pics?

Just trying to understand the rationale on the rest (interesting discussion)...Since I don't have the hitch, I don't know how much farther down it'll be...how far does the hitch hang down from the bumper? Aside from the closer proximity to the ground that could impact the sensor itself (if mounted to the underside of the hitch), what else might damage it more than the other sensors that are also hanging down, albeit from the bumper a bit higher up?

Re: the off-center mount of the center sensor, it wouldn't really be looking to the side. Sure, the "beam" wouldn't be shooting straight back, but it's not like you're rotating the thing (horizontally) by 90 degrees to see if the tailpipe is moving :) Just a 10deg rotation would "point" it towards the middle area. The "beam" isn't a thin light-like beam (at least as far as I understand it) but more like a "cone". Poron says the horizontal detecting angle is 50deg.

Dunno...maybe we're talking about different stuff...you can always show me tomorrow...I'll bring paper and pen for the diagram :)

·
Registered
449 Posts
TheWorm said:

Agreed, mounting direct to the bumper is the better alternative. Kishino - you have any pics?

Just trying to understand the rationale on the rest (interesting discussion)...Since I don't have the hitch, I don't know how much farther down it'll be...how far does the hitch hang down from the bumper? Aside from the closer proximity to the ground that could impact the sensor itself (if mounted to the underside of the hitch), what else might damage it more than the other sensors that are also hanging down, albeit from the bumper a bit higher up?

Re: the off-center mount of the center sensor, it wouldn't really be looking to the side. Sure, the "beam" wouldn't be shooting straight back, but it's not like you're rotating the thing (horizontally) by 90 degrees to see if the tailpipe is moving :) Just a 10deg rotation would "point" it towards the middle area. The "beam" isn't a thin light-like beam (at least as far as I understand it) but more like a "cone". Poron says the horizontal detecting angle is 50deg.

Dunno...maybe we're talking about different stuff...you can always show me tomorrow...I'll bring paper and pen for the diagram :)
Sorry no pics yet. Will post once I get my digital camera. The reason why I decided to mount on the bumper was....
As I back my MDX down my sloped driveway, the sensors mounted underneath will detect the payment. This is due to the sensors being so low and that when backing out down the slope the suspension will go down once it hits the pavement to absorb the shock and it will set the detector off, also the detector will detect the pavement when I back out as it will detect the road before I even get off my steep driveway.
I don't think mounting underneath the bumper will allow the sensor to hit the ground, as you will really have to bottom out the suspension. The only think I can think of is that the sensors will get dirty very easily, also once it starts to snow, the snow/slush will get stuck next to the sensors as it just hangs underneath the bumper with no protection.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts