Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 2002 MDX with 225000 miles at a really low price. I just got back from getting some high mileage service done and getting it checked out. They said nothing was urgent, but there was a small like from the radiator. Even though they said it could wait I scheduled the service for tomorrow. I fully expected to spend a couple thousand dollars on major repairs this year and I wasn't going to take any chances with my transmission. There are a few more things on my list, many which I will perform myself. Suspension, wheel refurbish, pop the bumper dent, fix the door trim that is falling off etc... Other than that the body is clean, not completely scratched up, the interior is in great shape except for the worn steering wheel that I wrapped in leather. After tomorrow's service I'll be invested for about $4200 with no identified problems according to my trusted mechanic. I have to say I think I got pretty damn lucky. I really needed the 3rd row seating as we have 2 toddlers and once we try to fit their cousins or other family we were out of room in our Nissan Rogue (now my wife's car).

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Ouch a 2002.... Well I really hope you read about the dreaded transmission problems those first years have, Specially the very first 3 years of the 1st Gen MDX.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Congratulations! I just got my MDX almost a month ago. She's an '03 with +200k miles, but the body and interior are impeccable! For $4100 I grabbed it. It's fully loaded too. Dvd, back up camera, heated seats,sunroof. The biggest selling point was that it had 3rd row seating. I have 3 kids, and a large extended family.

Unfortunately,the second day had it she didn't start. So $300 to take out the battery draining after market alarm system someone put in incorrectly. Then doing 80mph on interstate 64 I loose my transmission. Thank God I was near a rest stop, we coasted right into a parking space. Lol! So $5400 later I have a new transmission, water pump,and timing belt (figured I might as well get that replaced now while it's in the shop)
So, $9800 so far. But I love her! Lol! I go out on my balcony and check on her! Lol! God bless the first gen owners!
Anyway, good luck!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Wow you must really love that vehicle with high miles where in the first month you paid more in unexpected repairs than you did for the vehicle. Not sure i would have done the same. I got my 04 mdx in early March with 211,000 km or 131,000 miles. I paid $3600 Cdn for it or $2700 US. Has the same features as yours. The only thing pressing i had to do was timing belt/water pump. But i got new brakes and rotors for it anyways and replaced power steering pump and drive shaft. Those i knew about before the sale. And i got my nav unit repaired too which i also knew about. All that ran about $3000 cdn. If my transmission had died i would have junked it even though i put the maintenance into it. I have since bought an 08 mdx as well but love driving the 04 just as much. My kids find the 04 roomier than the 08 but they like the additional features of the 08. Still the 04 is a pleasure to drive ans i hope to have it for many more years

1 - 5 of 5 Posts