Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

New '15 MDX owner

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  LostCreekSooner 
#1 ·
Hello,

Just picked up a 2015 MDX with Tech package with 20k miles few weeks ago. Got a CPO from Rallye Acura in NY. They pushed for extended warranty so, i opt in for $1500 which will cover me until 2022. They said i can return it if I didn't use it. I came from 07 Civic Si and so far, loving the MDX. Some stuff that i wish i had are panoramic sunroof and a bit more quieter inside.

So far, i got OEM all weather mats, bumper bully (rear and front) protection and a dash cam installed. I picked the 2015 to avoid the 9 speed transmission. Was thinking about going for 16/17 EXL pilot or 16 CX-9 but ended up with MDX and so far not disappointed.

I'm a bit of a neat freak about automobiles and want to know every detail about it. There are few things I want to ask.

1) when I let go of the gas from let's say 30mph, i feel the downshift (more like a gear breaking) around 20mph and the car jerks a bit. That bothers me a bit. Is it normal?

2) Nav system is slowwwww and not really responsive. I asked the dealer about map update and they said there has been no updates since the car came out. How do i update the map (if there was one)?

3) What are the must have exterior/interior accessories? I'm thinking Running board, LED fog light and roof rail for the exterior an maybe a remote start.

4) What other bolt on performance upgrades can i put on? Going to order K & N filter soon. Is there an aftermarket exhaust system available for 3rd gen MDXes?

Thanks in advance. Any ideas, opinions or suggestions are welcome.

See less See more
#2 ·
I have a 2015 Tech package as well. I'm not sure if it's because I drive a G35 daily, but I feel that the MDX hesitates for shifting constantly. It's frustrating and I like to keep the driving/riding experience as smooth as possible. This car seems to fight me all of the time with hesitation and bucking with trans shifting. I am not interested in saving fuel, but I think this car is sacrificing performance to save drops of fuel. I am getting a VCM muzzler to cut out the buffoonery for saving gas, as I did with my Odyssey, but I hope I can get performance back. I bought this car not to be frugal with fuel.

#7 ·
The MDX is the Top pick in the Segment if you are looking for Performance and Handling... It's Top 3 right there with the X5 and Q7, You are giving up in Performance the moment you pick anything else.

#3 ·
1) change the atf. There is a tsb out a known issue with the tranny burning the atf early. If you still have a warranty and the tranny exhibits a fluttering on the tachometer, bring it in. Otherwise, change the atf and it should help.

2) navi updates are at http://acuranavi.navigation.com/web/WFS/Shop-AcuraNA-Site. $99 every spring.

3) it really depends what you want. Most people don't get much use out of the running boards because they're too tucked in. Others do it for looks. Led fogs are useless on this car. It widens some of the light, but it's mostly washed out by the headlights. Roof rail system has limited use because of fixed crossbar locations that prevent most boxes from being used. There is a big thread here about compatibility.

4) there's barely anything. Mostly what you mentioned (exhausts can be customed to any car), and some coil overs from BC Racing and Megan (iirc).

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Thanks alot for the info. I will look into all that. I doubt that i would install I/H/E on the MDX. Just wondering if there's any on the market.

As for the exterior mods, I want them mainly just for looks. They are over priced anyways. I would definitely go for a fog light tho.

#9 ·
Bernardi Acura (no, I don't work there!) has a good website for looking at OEM accessories. I also have a 2015 AWD with Tech, with running boards and mud flaps to protect the paint. Added fog lights and also front bumper trim, both just for looks and agree the fog lights aren't necessary due to the effectiveness of the jewel headlights. I also have the roof rails and rear silver bumper guard. And the OEM hitch with the transmission cooler which then rates the hitch at 5000 lbs. for protection have weathertech mats (they are OK, fit good but warp as they age). Used laminex protective film on headlights (don't want then being fogged in the future) and door trim / under door handles.
BTW, all the OEM accessories can be purchased online (including Amazon) for significant savings, and non of the installations were that bad. Although drilling holes in the rear bumper, cutting the stripping for roof rail installation, and taking off the front bumper are a little nerve racking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.