Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, we test drove a '02 touring model yesterday and the wife gave the OK for the MDX as our first vehicle purchase (kind of an important hurdle to cross, as it theoretically will be hers). We have decided on a base starlight silver. What I want is to get it (at the least) with the roof rack, cargo net, and free regular maintenance/service for life of warranty, and I will not pay over MSRP (in fact, although probaby delusional, first offer will be below MSRP); plus I want them to hold and not cash my deposit (no fair for them to earn interest off my money! Question is, do I settle on these terms (or some of them) before I place the order, or should I wait to negotiate after the vehicle has arrived? Anyone with any exprience in this? Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, bdmd.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
You will probably need to negotiate these items BEFORE it arrives, because once they get it on the lot, they will probably not have that much trouble finding another buyer, so you will be bargaining from a very weak position.

I did not get mine from the local dealership because I got a better deal at the dealership 75 miles down the road. They took my credit card number but never hit my account, so that is a possibility. The other items you never know. You may need to be willing to leave town to get what you want. The local dealership needs to know this too. Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
671 Posts
It's kind of difficult to give accurate advice about purchasing a new car to someone who has never negotiated for one before. Remember, you're dealing with professional salespeople, a vehicle that is in demand, and a supply that is lower than the demand. You seem to be thinking that you can get the vehicle for under MSRP, not including the dealer cost of the roof rack, cargo net, and maintenance. You have to take into consideration (1) the dealer will not take a loss on the vehicle, (2) the MSRP is not the dealer's cost - you need to find the invoice price of the vehicle, the delivery charge, and the cost of the extras that you want, (3) the dealer will not let you have the vehicle for less than they can sell it to someone else for. Of course, this is over-simplified. The art of negotiation is a long and winding road, one which is better learned from experience than from reading, but you have to start somewhere.

I think your best bet would be to read a little bit about negotiating the price if a new car, and then try to find the vehicle you want (you might want to be a bit flexible on color) sitting on a lot (good luck). I know the 03's are about to be released, and people are ordering 03's rather than 02's, so you might have some luck finding an 02 that 'nobody wants.'

Also, if you have a specific amount of money you plan to spend, you could try an on-line service -- I read about at least one of those in this forum, somewhere!

Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
312 Posts
Only_Acura said:
I got a better deal at the dealership 75 miles down the road. .

Courtesy in Lexington, perhaps? If so, our X's are siblings. Mine was the first White they got, and at one later point said that of the four White X's sold, one went to Louisville.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
My advice would be to find out the exact details before you put your money down. I didn't realize until the last minute that there were "forced options" that I had to accept and pay for.

At one point during the buying process, I was told that I'd get $500 off MSRP, but when everything was being written up, it was mysteriously "forgotten." Luckily, I noticed it, and they gave me the "discount." I wondered if they were starting to offer it since the 2003 models were coming out (including the Pilot) and I think my dealer had extra cars in May.

Also, what about the value of your trade-in? I held out for a higher value for mine than I was offered at other dealers (Toyota, Land Rover), and felt as though that helped make up for essentially having to pay MSRP.:p

Louise
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,377 Posts
bdmd said:
Well, we test drove a '02 touring model yesterday and the wife gave the OK for the MDX as our first vehicle purchase (kind of an important hurdle to cross, as it theoretically will be hers). We have decided on a base starlight silver. What I want is to get it (at the least) with the roof rack, cargo net, and free regular maintenance/service for life of warranty, and I will not pay over MSRP (in fact, although probaby delusional, first offer will be below MSRP); plus I want them to hold and not cash my deposit (no fair for them to earn interest off my money! Question is, do I settle on these terms (or some of them) before I place the order, or should I wait to negotiate after the vehicle has arrived? Anyone with any exprience in this? Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, bdmd.
First of all, assuming you are asked for a $500 deposit (which seems to be a popular amount), the interest for 3 months will amount to approximately $6.25! So forget that point.
As far as when to negotiate for some throw ins...seems to me that you loose some negotiation power once they have your deposit. On the other hand, many people on this board have gotten freebees after the fact when the dealer does not do what they say they will do! Be prepared to pay MSRP if you want the car.
Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
MrPrescott said:



Courtesy in Lexington, perhaps? If so, our X's are siblings. Mine was the first White they got, and at one later point said that of the four White X's sold, one went to Louisville.
You guessed it. That must be us. We took delivery in March. I was treated very nice there. That is also where my '99 TL came from. I will go back there for my next Acura as well. I do not like the way they do business in Louisville. As far as the White goes, I wouldn't have any other color. Couldn't be happier.

The funny thing is, I've seen quite a few Courtesy cars with local plates driving around Louisville. Interesting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,711 Posts
Write your own purchase order!

AcuraMDX2002 said:
...dealing with professional salespeople, a vehicle that is in demand, and a supply that is lower than the demand. You seem to be thinking that you can get the vehicle for under MSRP, not including the dealer cost of the roof rack, cargo net, and maintenance. You have to take into consideration (1) the dealer will not take a loss on the vehicle, (2) the MSRP is not the dealer's cost - you need to find the invoice price of the vehicle, the delivery charge, and the cost of the extras that you want, (3) the dealer will not let you have the vehicle for less than they can sell it to someone else for. Of course, this is over-simplified. The art of negotiation is a long and winding road, one which is better learned from experience than from reading, but you have to start somewhere.
I think your best bet would be to read a little bit about negotiating the price if a new car, and then try to find the vehicle you want (you might want to be a bit flexible on color) sitting on a lot (good luck). I know the 03's are about to be released, and people are ordering 03's rather than 02's, so you might have some luck finding an 02 that 'nobody wants.'
Also, if you have a specific amount of money you plan to spend, you could try an on-line service -- I read about at least one of those in this forum, somewhere! ...
If you are new to car buying I would try this:
Visit Edmunds & the CU site get all the info you need about "invoice price" "dealer holdback" and anything else you need. Create a nice complete PO with a "fair" amount of profit built-in.

It is NOT unrealistic to expect to buy below MSRP. There is another thread here that describes a Texas dealer running ads stating "$1000 off MSRP" and I expect that situation will only improve as we get into the "summer clearnce season" and dealers want empty lots for the '03s to come in...

Take your PO to the dealer and see what happens. I would be surprised if they'd jump right on it, but if you politely remind them that even at $1000 MSRP they are making something over $2000 in profit they will propably call back after you calmly walk out the door...

Purchasing a new vehicel is EXTERMELY emotional, dealers know this and do their best to stack the deck against you. If you force them to focus on THEIR PROFIT you minimize the leverage they have.

Dealers don't make money when cars sit on their lot. In fact, the cars sittting there COST them money every day. Not much at first, but it adds up. If you go to the dealership when it is not busy you are more likely to do well. I think it is assuming too much to say that they won't "let you have the vehicle for less then they can sell it to someone else". THAT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME! The saleperson is the weak link in the dealers' strategy. As long as it is a resonable deal the saleperson will work to get it done. The commision they get is dependant on getting the vehicle SOLD.

The number of IMPATIENT buyers who HAD TO HAVE an MDX has fallen, and will fall further as the 03 gets closer, you can expect a good deal, just don't accept the BS that salespersons are trained to spout -- "my salemanager won't allow it" = he ( or she) feels that you or somebody else can/will fork over more cash, defeat this by politely stating " I guess you are not happy with a fair profit, perhaps another dealer is more eager to get my my $33, 275 which includes $2,013 in RIGHT NOW TODAY profits plus $694 in factory hold-back money..." and leaving. They WILL call back! THEY ALWAYS DO!!!!!! That is the ONLY WAY they stay in business-- they MUST sell vehicles!

Some more common "BS" and counterpoints: "our policy is to sell all vehicles with an environmental protection pacakge" -- "I will only pay the destination charge printed by the factory, I will rely on the good reputation & judgement of Acura/Honda for standing behind the integretity of the finish for the length of the warranty" "We sell all vehilces with the following Dealer Installed Options" "I will only purchase optional accesories if I am treated fairly at this sale and when I return for service, the accessories are available from the parts department, are they not?" ( If they offer that 'DIO installed at the time of sale are warrantied for full term of vehicel warranty' [which is true] counter with 'Any DEFECT that would occur in a DIO [which is that is covered] is as likley to occur whether purchased now or later, the 12 month coverage gives me COMPLETE peace of mind...'

The whole process is sort of a GAME. THe salesperson has a set of rules, the buyer should understand that those RULES favor them TAKING YOUR MONEY. The difficulty is staying EMOTIONALLY unattached to the MDX until after they exchange a fair amount of money for the title/keys then you can go all to pieces :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
671 Posts
Very good advice, renov8r. The trick is deciding on 'fair profit.' I admire those who can truly stay emotionally unattached (until after the purchase) and walk away if the dealer doesn't sell the vehicle to you on your terms, not theirs.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top