Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After almost 8 painful months, I will be picking up my '02 TW this week. I went into the dealer over the weekend to go through some last minute details and to negotiate accessory prices. This site, as well as hondacuraworld were very helpful in giving me an idea of a fair "market" rate. The one thing they could not get me a good rate on was the base carrier - I was quoted $400 which seems like an awfully large markup.

I know I can order the part at a significant discount over the internet but really have no interest in putting it on myself.

Does anyone have a recommendation; has anyone had any success bringing in an OEM part and having it installed by Acura service?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
What accessories are you talking about?

Some don't require 'install'.... wheel locks, floor mats, cargo cover, luggage net, separation net, etc.

Any acura service department will install accessories. DO NOT expect your salesman to be helpful at all with setting this up. Call service separately and ask what they charge to install _____.

Heck, it is almost always cheaper to call Parts for the accessory, then call Service for the intall as compared to the price you get from Sales...

Buy the roof rack from Tim, pay the $75 to install at the dealer.... I'll bet they are telling you it is really hard, and must be done right, and you don't want to mess up, and it is really hard, and....

Ard

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ard,

thanks for the reply, the only accesory that sales did not give me a fair price on was the roof rack. As you suggested, I was planning on calling the service dept to get a number from them which I am sure will be significantly less than I was originally quoted.

·
Registered
91 Posts
ardvarkus - roof rack

ardvarkus,

Is the $75 installed price u quoted from experience? or a estimate? My dealer quoted 3 times that for the install of the roof rack. I'm getting it done on Thursday and would appreciate some feedback.

thanks!

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Mine had one on it when it arrived (touring) :cool:

I've had mine on and off twice, takes around 20 minutes max. Add another 15 minutes to trim the plastic channel covers.

Having said this, some dealers charge 2 hours for the job. (Arguably they need to assemble the end pieces on the cross member (4 screws), which I didn't do when I removed mine).

I assume you at least saved by buying the rack from Tim...

Personally, I'd think it faster to do it in your garage on a Saturday afternoon than waste your time driving to the dealer. There are no holes to drill (the bolts are already in the roof channels), just bolt on the rack, trim the plastic...

Check out:
http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=4369

Good luck.

Ard

·
Registered
91 Posts
3 hours?

ard,

my dealer wanted 3 hours to put it on... I think I'll cancel and reconsider just buying from tim and doing it myself. Just went out to look at the moulding and they appear to be plastic. I thought that I would be cutting metal.

thanks!

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
...and with the $300 you save (labor plus tim's discount) you can buy mats, a cargo tray, running boards, fender flares...

(but Honey, it just NEEDS some extras.)

Post your experience so others can overcome their "installation fear".

:cool:

Ard

1 - 7 of 7 Posts