Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Either I can't figure the heating/cooling unit out or something is not working.

It was about 60 here yesterday (Mass) and after leaving the car sitting in the sun, I just wanted to have fresh, unheated air flow through the cabin. No matter what I set the unit on, I got warm air coming through the dash vents. Set the temp down to 60 - still warm air. All I wanted was frsh, unheated air! Took delivery in Feb 2002 so this I haven't really driven the car in warmer temps.

Is it me or is my heat/cool unit malfunctioning? Searched the archives and didn't see anything on this one.

TIA,

Mark

·
Registered
143 Posts
Markedoc ~
I'm glad you brought this up. The other morning on the way to work, I simply wanted to bring fresh air in through the panel(s) but, couldn't seem to get it right. I looked in the manual but didn't find a clear answer, either.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Here's how it works -- OK -- on mine to get the "old fashioned" vent:

Knock temp down to 60
Make sure AC is OFF
Make sure recirc is OFF
Fan must still be on (I usually put on lowest setting)
Set air direction/selection to the dash vents

·
Registered
228 Posts
Try this method out, it seems to work fine for me.

Set the temperature at a comfortable level between 70-74 degrees and put if on full auto. Then hit the off button, fresh air should come through either the vent or at the feet depending on the temperature difference between outside and inside the cabin.

Forgot to mention, fresh air will only come through while the vehicle is in motion.

·
Registered
594 Posts
i have the opposite problem

I frequently park in the sun -- it may be 50 degrees outside, and 60 degrees in the car due to the sun.

I get in the car, with the thing set to full auto at 70, and it slams me with ice cold air conditioning. I think that the sunlight sensor is overcompensating for the inside thermometer sensor.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
A-men on that sunlight sensor. I'm about to cover mine with a 3X5 notepad.

I don't know about Nav units, but on the non-Nav, a setting of 60 degrees is supposed to give NO heat -- and that's just what it does on mine.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My wife has the 2001 no NAV and we've never had climate comtrol issues.

This only seems to be a problem with my 2002 NAV ... hmmm ... sounds like a trip to the dealer.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Mark -- let me know what you come up with

Mark -- I have a 2002 Tour/Nav -- let me know what your dealer says if you have them look into it.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Going there in the next few days. Can't go without fresh air or cooled air for much longer!

I must say, I am not happy with the MDX climate control system. There's no reason why something this simple should be so complex.

I'll keep you posted!

·
Registered
87 Posts
The climate control in our 2002 non-NAV has worked fine for us. We kept it on 70 full auto during the winter, and it always felt comfortable. As the weather warms up, we are raising the temp setting (72 now), since we are wearing less (short sleeves, shorts, etc.) and 70 feels cool.

I have found that if I want full cooling, the 60 setting does just as the book says (full A/C on; no heat), while the max setting (90) is all heat.

- Conrad

·
Registered
86 Posts
seems to me that TheWorm's suggestions - what the doctor ordered. I figured it out by myself a little bit earlier and was able to get just fresh air. You can turn off Auto mode on the panel, but for A/C need to go AC/Trip screen and turn A/C off there. Do not think Navi can affect this in any way. Looks like - works for me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts