Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Any recommendations for Autozone Duralast Gold Pads DG1281 & DG1378?
Been using OEM and thinking of switching to Duralast Gold because of endless free replacement and good reviews from Honda pilots and MDX users on autozone website.

No I don’t want Akibono pads!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
476 Posts
My original pads last over 100K miles. My second set is about to last the same and they are not that expensive.

I have used AZ and OR pads in other vehicles specially one of my sons that breaks so hard that he needs a set every 20K miles or 1.5 years. In this case, I always use full ceramic pads. The best of their kind.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My original pads last over 100K miles. My second set is about to last the same and they are not that expensive.

I have used AZ and OR pads in other vehicles specially one of my sons that breaks so hard that he needs a set every 20K miles or 1.5 years. In this case, I always use full ceramic pads. The best of their kind.

I went through pads fast because I drive in the city 4-8 hours a days.
Isn’t Duralast Gold is ceramic?

·
Registered
174 Posts
I've had good luck with both the Duralast Gold and the comparable full ceramic pads in the Advance line.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I assume these Duralast Gold doesn’t require anti-squeaky grease for spreading on the back of the pads that would normally came in a small packet for the OEM pads.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I assume these Duralast Gold doesn’t require anti-squeaky grease for spreading on the back of the pads that would normally came in a small packet for the OEM pads.

They do, all of them. I believe the box comes with one small grease packet.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Where do you put the grease? I installed used cheap rotors and pads over the weekend on my MDX but didn't use the grease that came with it.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Where do you put the grease? I installed used cheap rotors and pads over the weekend on my MDX but didn't use the grease that came with it.
A very thin film of grease go between the pad and shims, between shims, and outside of shims where they touch the caliper and caliper pistons

·
Registered
3 Posts
Grease also goes on the the caliper bolts.
The person who did the brake pads on the back of my 2016 did not do that, the floating caliper gummed up, and I hit the backing plate of my left, outer pad.
The other three rear pads had > 80% left.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Grease also goes on the the caliper bolts.
The person who did the brake pads on the back of my 2016 did not do that, the floating caliper gummed up, and I hit the backing plate of my left, outer pad.
The other three rear pads had > 80% left.
Yup make sure to lube the sliding pins what he meant

·
Registered
54 Posts
I just did mine last week. I used Raybestos Element 3 coated rotors and the corresponding pads from RockAuto. The sliders were gummed up on both calipers. Cleaned and lubed them with Sil-Glyde lubricant.

Depending on the store you go to the lifetime warranty on brake pads from chain auto parts stores is for manufacturing defects but many stores will give you a replacement set for being worn out. YMMV

·
Registered
131 Posts
The reason I asked is because I use 3M silicone on the slide pins instead of the grease pack that came with the pad set. I don't see much usefullness of greasing the back of the pads and shims. I've many other grease brands on the slide pins over the years but never seem to last until 3M silicone. In MN, MNDOT spray some kind of salt liquid on the road before it snow, then they spread salt as they plow. The road is usually clean the day after but they use lots of salt and the liquid chemical. MN cars and trucks are so much more rustier than Ericthecarguy's vehicles.........
So, caliper slide pins (my cars) get rusty by the 2nd year. Now, I try to remember to re-lube every fall.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The reason I asked is because I use 3M silicone on the slide pins instead of the grease pack that came with the pad set. I don't see much usefullness of greasing the back of the pads and shims. I've many other grease brands on the slide pins over the years but never seem to last until 3M silicone. In MN, MNDOT spray some kind of salt liquid on the road before it snow, then they spread salt as they plow. The road is usually clean the day after but they use lots of salt and the liquid chemical. MN cars and trucks are so much more rustier than Ericthecarguy's vehicles.........
So, caliper slide pins (my cars) get rusty by the 2nd year. Now, I try to remember to re-lube every fall.
I used this for the caliper sliding pins. The grease packets come with the brake pads is for spreading on the back of the pad where it meets the caliper surface and the piston and at the pad ears. I am going to lube the pins every time I replace the pad.

·
Registered
476 Posts
For caliper pins I don’t use graphite based grease either. I use high temp regular grease. I don’t see a problem using silicone based grease. Just check the temperature range.

One thing I do, is to make sure the pin belows are sealing properly and are in good condition.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
For caliper pins I don’t use graphite based grease either. I use high temp regular grease. I don’t see a problem using silicone based grease. Just check the temperature range.

One thing I do, is to make sure the pin belows are sealing properly and are in good condition.

PRG
Since you mentioned high temp grease. Does this Honda ultra high temp grease is suitable for brake caliper pins? I still have plenty left from my axles job

·
Registered
476 Posts
PRG
Since you mentioned high temp grease. Does this Honda ultra high temp grease is suitable for brake caliper pins? I still have plenty left from my axles job

I don't see why not. Specially if it is not too thick like a paste, I would say it is good. Remember, we don't want a grease that provides low lubrication or dries out too quickly over time. Never have had a stuck pin in over 40-years of maintaining my own cars.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Took 4.5 hours to replace all the brake pads. Cleaning and lubing the caliper pins were time consuming. Decided not to lube the rear pins because they are freely sliding.

The old front pads still have 30% left and the rear still have 60% left. Shouldn’t replaced them so soon but I really want to try Duralast gold for it no dust left behind and free replacement

·
Registered
476 Posts
Took 4.5 hours to replace all the brake pads. Cleaning and lubing the caliper pins were time consuming. Decided not to lube the rear pins because they are freely sliding.

The old front pads still have 30% left and the rear still have 60% left. Shouldn’t replaced them so soon but I really want to try Duralast gold for it no dust left behind and free replacement

Did you make sure the bellows were properly seated inside the internal slot of the hole and the slot in the pin?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Did you make sure the bellows were properly seated inside the internal slot of the hole and the slot in the pin?

Yes. Snapped or tucked in. Why the top pin on the front has rubber a fat O-Ring? I tried the Honda high temp urea grease and the pin does not want to slide. It just sucked tight. I was glad that I checked before installing the pad and bracket. Re-cleaned and re-lubed with 3m silicone grease.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts