Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning to take my '03 MDX on a cross-country trip in a few weeks. I will leave from Washington, DC and drive to California and back over about a month. Right now, I'm only certain that I'll go to the following places:

1) Colorado Springs
2) Yellowstone
3) Seattle
4) Lake Tahoe
5) San Diego

I'd also like to do Alaska trip (south to north and back) but I'm not sure that I'll have time.

Can folks here recommend other "must see" places in the USA and provide URL links to describe those places? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
410 Posts
From Tahoe, shoot over to San Francisco. Drive down Hwy 1 to the Hearst Castle on your way to SD. South of Carmel, Hwy 1 is one of the most scenic stretches of road in the world.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
If you enjoy Italian food, when in San Diego I always go to the Empress Hotel to have a fantastic meal at Manhattan's of La Jolla. The owner is originally from NY and takes a tremendous amount of pride in the quality, quantity and presentation of the food. The zuppa di clams and the veal chops are to die for. A fresher, tastier Caesar salad would be hard to find. Excellent wine list. The wait staff is first rate, highly entertaining (they sing on request), and attentive. Be sure to call in advance.

http://www.empress-hotel.com/services.php

And trixie's idea above is a must!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Cross Country Trip

If you are doing Yellowstone and going to Seattle go up through Yellowstone to Glacier National Park (Personally one of my favorite places on earth) and then over to Seattle along highway 1. I'm guessing that Alaska is probably a seperate trip. But if you want a taste of the Canadian Rockies going up from Glacier to Lake Louise and over to Victoria Island then bringing the X back over on a Fairy to Vancover and down into Seattle is a great way to go.

When we were first married we did this big loop and took a month to see it all. Though it was in a Chevette and not nearly as comfortable as it would be now in my X.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the suggestions so far. Please keep 'em coming.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Hi Perk:

___Might I suggest you head north after hitting Chicago on I94? There is no way to see Chicago in a day but maybe a chance visit to Wrigley Field to see the Cubs lose or maybe just an enjoying day walking around Grant Park from Navy Pier over to the new Millennium Park? From there, keep heading North up I294/94. Just before you hit the Wisconsin border, you will pass Great America on your right. As you head under the next two underpasses, take a look to your left at a large 40’ berm separating the Tollway from a subdivision. Wave as you are going past as I live there. Keep heading up I94 to I90 through WI. and MN. Towards and up through the Bad Lands, Mt. Rushmore, as well as Custer National Park. You will pass the Corn Palace in Mitchell, SD. which is an interesting excursion if I do say so myself. You must have a drink at Wall Drug on your way. You will know what I am speaking of as soon as you hit the MN/SD border. That was one of the best road trips I have ever taken. Since you are up North anyway, a trip over to Devil’s Tower in Wyoming might be worth the drive. Head on south from there towards the 4 corners. The state road we traveled on had nothing for 1 stretch of over 75 miles IIRC! When I say nothing, I mean nothing but maybe 2 or 3 stop signs, 75 miles of cow fence, and some of the state route was gravel! I would have to look at a map to find that particular road again but I would travel it just to say I did ;) After that, you could head back towards Pike’s Peak (Colorado Springs area). After that, head down towards Vegas as a single night or two should do it unless you are a gambler. Keep heading south to see the Hoover Dam on your way down towards Flagstaff, AZ. where you will head north to see the Grand Canyon. Afterwards, head west again over towards Fresno to visit Yosemite. If you want a great place to stay in Fresno, The Shaw – “Piccadilly Inn” was a 4 Star rated hotel that was underrated by a star at least ;) Use a Discount book for a $75.00/night deal. While visiting Yosemite, make sure you see both the Falls as well as Glacier View as both are worth a lifetime of memories. “Dem der is Great Scot and Dale B’s stompin grounds”! Head back west (actually south and west and back north again) towards San Fran. Do a search for “Half Moon Bay” here in this forum for a restaurant with the best Clam Chowder I have ever tasted in my life. The 17 mile drive is both beautiful and memorable so consider that if you are in the San Fran area. Afterwards, head on up Hwy 1 as some here have already mentioned. Although I did not get to take the X to Yosemite this year, we did fly into Phoenix to visit relatives, rented a car, and hit Hoover Dam, Vegas, Yosemite, San Francisco, LA, and back to Phoenix which in itself was a great trip albeit way to short. In your case, 30 days with nothing but scenery to view, you are going to love it! If you are traveling up Seattle way, you may as well visit Vancouver. Beautiful city, absolutely beautiful. And if I were that far north on the west coast, I would drive up into Alaska too. The history there is deep given the rush for gold in the late 1800’s and all those that have passed before you. The towns along the Inside Passage (A ferry can take you, your family, and the X to many of them along that route) are ready to explore. The Alaska highway on the way back will be one of the most breathtaking trips imaginable given the descriptions I have read although I have never been on that one :(

___If you gave me 30 days, an X, the family, and $10K to burn, the US’ best views and vistas would be a 30 day excursion away. Enjoy your trip and if I had a wish, it would be that I was going along with you! I have been to all but the Alaskan Highway and Seattle proper in the X or Previa before and all the places listed were absolutely beautiful in their own special way. I actually proposed to my wife at the Grand Canyon if you can believe that!

___Lastly, have you ever heard mentioned that the X is one of the best highway cruisers anyone has have ever driven? Because of its large size (width), storage cap, RES, comfortable seats, amenities, and great road manners, believe it, it is :D Well maybe except for the 04 Sienna or all new 05 Ody that is …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email protected]

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
xcel said:
Hi Perk:

___Might I suggest you head north after hitting Chicago on I94? There is no way to see Chicago in a day but maybe a chance visit to Wrigley Field to see the Cubs lose or maybe just an enjoying day walking around Grant Park from Navy Pier over to the new Millennium Park? From there, keep heading North up I294/94. Just before you hit the Wisconsin border, you will pass Great America on your right. As you head under the next two underpasses, take a look to your left at a large 40’ berm separating the Tollway from a subdivision. Wave as you are going past as I live there. Keep heading up I94 to I90 through WI. and MN. Towards and up through the Bad Lands, Mt. Rushmore, as well as Custer National Park. You will pass the Corn Palace in Mitchell, SD. which is an interesting excursion if I do say so myself. You must have a drink at Wall Drug on your way. You will know what I am speaking of as soon as you hit the MN/SD border. That was one of the best road trips I have ever taken. Since you are up North anyway, a trip over to Devil’s Tower in Wyoming might be worth the drive. Head on south from there towards the 4 corners. The state road we traveled on had nothing for 1 stretch of over 75 miles IIRC! When I say nothing, I mean nothing but maybe 2 or 3 stop signs, 75 miles of cow fence, and some of the state route was gravel! I would have to look at a map to find that particular road again but I would travel it just to say I did ;)
I did the cross-country trip back in 2000 and the part highlighted above was precisely the path we took in the first week of trip. Pretty awesome.

Thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finally returned from my 11,050 mile USA Trip. Had an awesome time. Here is a map of the route I took.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
That looks like an awesome trip! I'm sure you had lots of fun.

I have two questions.

1 - How did the MDX perform?

2 - How many pictures did you take?

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The X did well on the entire trip. I had the oil changed about every 3000 miles. Had to rotate tires once also. The only real problem was with the brakes again. Had to have the discs replaced again when I got home at 38,000 miles. That's twice replaced now, once at 20k and once at 38k. I was shocked that Acura agreed to replace them again for free. Doubt many folks could count on that.

I kept the air bladders in the rear springs pumped up the whole trip when the hitch insert basket was in place. The basket and contents weighed about 200 lbs. and would have otherwise kept the rear end sagged down. That would have worn down the inside of rear tires and greatly reduced fuel mileage. I did a test and saw more than 3 mpg difference between the car with rear end sagged down or pumped up to normal level. Undoubtedly it was due to a difference in aerodynamics.

One of the funny stories was my trip up to top of Pikes Peak. The 260 hp felt like approx. 100 hp (no exageration!) for the last 1/2 of the trip.

See some pics here.

·
3,108 Posts
perk said:
Finally returned from my 11,050 mile USA Trip. Had an awesome time. Here is a map of the route I took.
Could you zip and post the .est file of this please? Thanx!

·
Registered
253 Posts
solace said:
How about Hoover Dam.

Hoover Dam, originally known as Boulder Dam, is a concrete arch-gravity dam in the Black Canyon of the Colorado River, on the border between the U.S. states of Arizona and Nevada. he dam is a Historic Landmark and has been rated by the American Society of Civil Engineers as one of America's Seven Modern Civil Engineering Wonder.

Just kidding... :D

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
trixie said:
From Tahoe, shoot over to San Francisco. Drive down Hwy 1 to the Hearst Castle on your way to SD. South of Carmel, Hwy 1 is one of the most scenic stretches of road in the world.
I second this! If you happen go go through Santa Maria (Hwy 101) by sure to check out the restrooms at one of the motels there. I cannot remember the name but any local can tell you.

G

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
I think he's back:eek: for a while.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts