Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm very seriously contemplating putting down a deposit for a 2003 Havasu blue MDX Touring/Nav. However, I'm trying to get one issue resolved.......thought some folks here (Tim?) would possibly have an answer
Even though the current Acura DVD Navigation system is, by far, THE BEST one out there right now, it does have a couple of MINOR quirks - what I'm specifically referring to is the time it takes to CALCULATE (not that much of an issue) and RE-CALCULATE (this is more of an issue) a destination...........the Nav on my 2000TL (version 2.01 was quite slow while recalculating, if one made a wrong turn, but was just adequate so as to not constantly play "catch-up" with the moving vehicle itself)......but from what I'm seeing, the latest version 2.05 (on my brother's 2002 3.2TL Type-S) is reaallly slow when recalcualting (probably due to substantially increased size of the database).....so while guidance is going on if he makes a wrong turn, the Navi system keeps constantly recalculating - that is by the time it realizes he's made a wrong turn and calculates an alternate route, he's already driven far beyond that point, so the Navi recalculates again - this, then becomes a constant cycle with the Navi trying to "catch-up" with the moving vehicle.

......Knowing Acura (and the importance they have given THE NAVIGATION SYSTEM - like no other manufacturer has), I'm sure they will come out with a fix for this (as well as a host of other improvements)......

Now, my question is: When Acura improves the Navigation system in the future which might involve new HARDWARE - the Navi unit itself (a faster processor etc.) will I be able to just remove the old Navi unit (from under the seat or wherever it is) and install and plug into the existing screen the one that comes on future new MDXs??? - In other words will I be able to upgrade the existing Navi HARDWARE??

Thanks a lot for the input!!

........Now, on an interesting sidenote, for those deciding to skip the Navigation System option here's a thought:
SURPRISE SURPRISE: The MAIN reason for my deciding to go with the MDX over other choices is it's Navigation system: In other words - I'm buying the vehicle for the Acura Navigation System - that's how highly I think of it (It's simply the best - nothing compares and only the Lexus Navi can come close to matching it, and usually aftermarket products are typically far better than factory installed options - This is the first time that I've seen a factory unit FAR SUPERIOR to aftermarket systems (even Alpine's own aftermarket DVD Navi is far inferior to Acura's and what takes the cake is: Alpine makes the Navi for Acura!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
vicpai said:

Now, my question is: When Acura improves the Navigation system in the future which might involve new HARDWARE - the Navi unit itself (a faster processor etc.) will I be able to just remove the old Navi unit (from under the seat or wherever it is) and install and plug into the existing screen the one that comes on future new MDXs??? - In other words will I be able to upgrade the existing Navi HARDWARE??

Thanks a lot for the input!!

vicpai,
The Navi unit sits right under the passenger seat. It looks just like a DVD changer.

The Navi unit and screen are available now if ever you need to replace it.

The difficulty with your question is we don't know what the new 2003 MDX will offer. Maybe the screen will be 8 inches instead of 7. Maybe there will be a whole new interface between the "new" Navi unit and the screen itself. So given that both, neither, or either could change, it may be difficult to answer your question. But my suspicion, is if you have extra cash to spend, and assuming the screen size and interfaces stay the same, you should be able to upgrade the hardware.

Interesting that you are deciding to get the MDX solely on the Navigation. But hopefully you'll find other things that are likeable about the MDX as most of us have. But many of us are glad that you are making the decision after numerous posts;)

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Vic,

I must say I'm a bit disappointed, since I was counting on you to beta test the GX470 for me, since I'm eyeballing it for when my lease is up on the GS...:( Then again, I'm also eyeballing the Infinity G35 coupe (which appears to be a real bargain).

I don't think anyone will be able to tell you about hardware upgrades. Certainly possible, I'd think, assuming the screen interface is the same...but the software might change, and that runs all the AC and Trip stuff, too...and that might not be compatible...

I'm running the Denso hard-drive(!) based unit in my GS (MY 2000) and it still rocks 2.5 yrs later...

What features are you afraid of missing...I think voice and phone interfaces are gonna be about it during the next few years...maybe some basic net access or more likely text-only messaging...

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Wait a second ... first there was someone impersonating Gator ... now it seems there's someone impersonating Vic.

Vic, are you okay? Or did you decide to buy the jumbo cladding for the MDX? :D

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Firstly, Thanks to all for your replies.....

.........Yes, I know it's a surprising turnaround for me. However, I've not made my final decision as of yet, but have narrowed my final choice down to either the 2003 Acura MDX, Redesigned 4 Runner or the GX 470......The Acura being a 3rd year model will have most bugs worked out, but if I decided to go the GX or 4 Runner route will have to wait at least 6 to 8 months into production until the bugs are worked out.

To MDXtrous: Thanks a lot for the info. Although I like the other attributes of the MDX (except it's width) the Navi is what really does it for me. Also can't stop drooling over your modifications - I think they're really well executed, subtle (look literally like they were done at the factory - especially great job on the body color mud guards and rear spoiler. They look really neat) - Really like the Navi/Video conversions inside as well. I'm not usually for modifying a vehicle, but I think in your case it's very professionally done. BTW did you get it done somewhere or do it yourself??

To theWorm: After operating the Kenwood Navi installed on my commuter Corolla, extensively (identical to the DVD Navi in Lexus models - it even says "Denso" on the DVD) I find certain "holes" in it. It is better in some ways than the Acura system (locational accuracy is slightly better), but the Point-Of-Interest database is horrible - Can't find things like Best Buy, Bally Total Fitness, etc. Also the existing POIs are nowhere near as well categorized. Another thing that really bothers me with Lexus's Navi is the fact that it disables itself when the vehicle starts moving (I've by-passed this on my Kenwood unit (e-brake trick), but don't think it's possible on the factory version (Lexus)......and from reading on clublexus and other websites it seems Lexus is not readily providing DVD updates every year as promised (and in some instances where they did, they charged $500-$600 for it, which IMHO is HIGHWAY ROBBERY)

To William: It is really me :D (or is it??) :D ........the width of the MDX still bothers me, but I think I'll be able to "live with it" if it came to that. Additionally, on a recent test drive I found the driver seat of the MDX SUPREMELY COMFORTABLE (very supportive) and I can imagine it being very relaxing on long drives. The front seats in my current 4 Runner have got to be the most uncomfortable EVER!!!! :( after just 20 minutes of driving I get a backache (and I'm 28 and physically fit).....so that tells you something about the seats.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Re: Firstly, Thanks to all for your replies.....

vicpai said:
Also can't stop drooling over your modifications - I think they're really well executed, subtle (look literally like they were done at the factory - especially great job on the body color mud guards and rear spoiler. They look really neat) - Really like the Navi/Video conversions inside as well. I'm not usually for modifying a vehicle, but I think in your case it's very professionally done. BTW did you get it done somewhere or do it yourself??

vicpai, thanks for the complement. I did want to keep it subtle, especially with the video install (don't want to draw too much attention in NYC) , but make so I'll be able to use it for 8 - 10 years. That's why the backup camera and third A/V input.

Ron from streeteffectz.com did for me. He's done some pretty amazing installs, and as a matter of fact his install is the featured car on the cover of this month's Mobile Entertainment Mag. Couldn't ask for someone better.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Paralysis by Analysis

Vicpai,

If you spent this much time deciding what to have for breakfast in the morning you'd never leave the house. It's a car - buy one and move on. Don't agonize this decision because there is no perfect time to buy or type of vehicle - too wide, too expensive, not expensive enough looking interior, no foot rest, buy now, wait for second model year, wait for the next model year with more change, etc. No offense, but 345 posts and you are still vacillating! Life is too short to invest this much time is a car buying decision. I wish you the best of luck with what is very apparently an arduous decision.

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
Personally I set my Navi not to Auto recalculate. especially if its to avoid one small street.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts