Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need New Front Shocks / Struts ('15 MDX)

Apparently my front shocks are leaking hydrolic fluid and need to be replaced (62.5K miles)

I have a '15 MDX SH-AWD w/ Tech

Can you guys be kind enough to recommend a good place to buy them online?

Also: Is this something that's better to get installed by the Dealer or is it simple enough for a local auto shop?

Dealer quoted $1,100 with parts / labor / tax.

Really appreciate the help. Kind of feeling disappointed as this has come as a total surprise.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Here's a reference: OEM Acura MDX 5-DOOR 2015 FRONT SHOCK ABSORBER parts (parts 7&8, you can reuse everything else).

$115.66 a piece from Peoria/oemacuraparts.com, use SWOOSH for discounted shipping (i think it's 50% off shipping).

Curry Acura is usually pretty close with Peoria, so if you PM Tim here (hondacuraplanet), he can usually price match it. Looks to be $114.01 vs $115.66 though. If you can find it any cheaper using the part numbers, Tim may also be able to price match elsewhere.

As for install, it is a very simple job that an auto shop can do. It's a very standard strut design and can be done with the proper tools in about 1-2 hours. $100/hr is the usual rate. Add in about $80 for an alignment after (not really even that necessary if you just mark the bolts in their spots before removal, but it's always nice to have your vehicle in proper alignment after so long), and you're at just about half what the stealer...dealership quoted you.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Curry Acura is usually pretty close with Peoria, so if you PM Tim here (hondacuraplanet), he can usually price match it. Looks to be $114.01 vs $115.66 though. If you can find it any cheaper using the part numbers, Tim may also be able to price match elsewhere.

As for install, it is a very simple job that an auto shop can do. It's a very standard strut design and can be done with the proper tools in about 1-2 hours. $100/hr is the usual rate. Add in about $80 for an alignment after (not really even that necessary if you just mark the bolts in their spots before removal, but it's always nice to have your vehicle in proper alignment after so long), and you're at just about half what the stealer...dealership quoted you.
Nice! This is tremendously helpful. Thank you neoshi

I reached out to Tim and hopefully will hear back soon. I don't live too far from Curry Acura. I'm a bit confused...does Tim work there? If so then maybe I can have the installation done there depending on the labor costs.

Thanks for such helpful and fast reply. You've eased some of my tension.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Nice! This is tremendously helpful. Thank you neoshi

I reached out to Tim and hopefully will hear back soon. I don't live too far from Curry Acura. I'm a bit confused...does Tim work there? If so then maybe I can have the installation done there depending on the labor costs.

Thanks for such helpful and fast reply. You've eased some of my tension.
You're welcome! Tim works at Peoria. Curry Acura is a big competitor in online part pricing usually, but Tim is usually quite good at making things work for us here. He's also one of our moderators and does a stand up job helping any way he can on here.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Dealer quoted $1,100 with parts / labor / tax.
Are they including a his/hers day at the spa along with that? That has to be close to double what a suspension shop would charge. It's certainly not rocket surgery to replace front struts. I'd want a second opinion that they're actually leaking too.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I'd want a second opinion that they're actually leaking too.
That's a good point. Shocks don't typically fail at this low of mileage. Given the high cost from that particular dealer for the repair, it's worth checking to be certain there's a problem with the shocks in the first place.

OP - Is the fluid leaking externally and if so did you see it or do they mean it's leaking internally past some seals and therefore not doing its job?

What prompted this quite for the shocks? Are you having actual issues that you can sense when driving the MDX that are due to bad shocks? Did you test them by bouncing the front end a bit with your hands (carefully so as not to dent it) to look for a lack of shock absorption?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You're welcome! Tim works at Peoria. Curry Acura is a big competitor in online part pricing usually, but Tim is usually quite good at making things work for us here. He's also one of our moderators and does a stand up job helping any way he can on here.
Ah-ha! Got it. Unfortunately I was not able to establish contact with Tim (called, PM'ed, eMailed) and I need the struts so I ended up ordering from Curry Acura for pick-up. I really appreciate the help. You literally saved me hundreds of dollars and now I know where to go for almost any part for my MDX to save some $$$.

Are they including a his/hers day at the spa along with that? That has to be close to double what a suspension shop would charge. It's certainly not rocket surgery to replace front struts. I'd want a second opinion that they're actually leaking too.
They are including a one-way ticket to "Gotcha! Land" :D

That's a good point. Shocks don't typically fail at this low of mileage. Given the high cost from that particular dealer for the repair, it's worth checking to be certain there's a problem with the shocks in the first place.

OP - Is the fluid leaking externally and if so did you see it or do they mean it's leaking internally past some seals and therefore not doing its job?

What prompted this quite for the shocks? Are you having actual issues that you can sense when driving the MDX that are due to bad shocks? Did you test them by bouncing the front end a bit with your hands (carefully so as not to dent it) to look for a lack of shock absorption?
So, in response to mdxstang and others:

I got a second and third opinion today.

First of all, it wasn't Acura who told me the front shocks are bad. I went in for an inspection on Tuesday and they 'failed' me, citing the front shocks were leaking as their reason. I was so shocked at the inspection because the day prior, Monday, I was at my Acura service center for hours due to other issues (continued transmission problems) and they didn't say anything. Heck, my SA was shocked too when I called him because he said it is something his tech would have noticed. Nonetheless he quoted me the price over the phone and asked me to come in so they can check it out.

I didn't end up going to Acura today. I went to two independent shops and both said they are broken / leaking fluid externally ... both of the front shocks. The second shop showed me as well (not that I really knew what he's talking about.)

neoshi You were right. Both shops quoted me $100 per strut for installation + $80 or so for the alignment. Which is much more reasonable. It seems like a simple enough job (for someone who works on cars) so I feel fairly confident having it done locally...unless you guys tell me otherwise!

mdxstang I can't say how this happened. I live in NYC and a lot of my driving is within the city where the roads are well ... a hazard. I go over potholes (or just holes, really) every single day and it's nearly impossible to avoid all of them. I suppose this may been it.

But I have had to get my torque converter replaced twice (RPM fluctuation issues) and after the second replacement (back in July) I was feeling something loose / broken right under my accelerator pedal (sounded like a loose part that would move and bang against something underneath when I went over big potholes / bumps). I did take it back to the dealer and they didn't find any issue ... except for a missing bolt on the cover underneath the car which they fixed. LoL. Allegedly anyways. This was a few months ago. I can't imagine but wonder if the tech who worked on replacing my second torque converter may have accidentally damaged the front struts. But I have no proof nor do I know if this is even possible during a torque converter replacement.

Well that's that! Hopefully the struts will come in tomorrow or Friday and I can have them installed same day.

I imagine it's OK to drive until then, right? Who knows how long they been this way anyway.

Thanks again everyone.

PS - Really disappointed in Acura's workmanship. This car has been nothing but trouble for me. Two torque converter replacements (and now same thing happening again) among other issues. Whenever I drive the loaner MDX's I wish my Acura performed like that. I really feel Acura needs to get me a new transmission otherwise I'll be screwed once my powertrain warranty runs out (though my issues are all on record.) I was thinking about calling Acura Client Relations and asking them to comp-extend my powertrain warranty due to this continuous issue. Any tips, feedback is welcome.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
wonder if the tech who worked on replacing my second torque converter may have accidentally damaged the front struts
I doubt that - they're totally separate components and it'd be difficult to even accidentally cause a shock to leak. The only way I can think of is if it was severely physicallt damaged such that the seals no longer sealed but you'd be able to see the bent shock tubes.

Your explanation of the NYC potholes is likely the cause - that puts a lot of stress on shocks and is the type of thing that eventually wears them out - although usually at a higher mileage than yours but no doubt your potholes are much more severe than where I live.

My 2014 has been great but has lower mileage than yours - I'm only at around 36K miles. No tranny issues at all and the shocks are fine. Sorry to hear yours has had a bunch of problems.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Ahh.. so maybe you and a few other owners are what caused TSB 16-044... reference: http://www.mdxers.org/forums/94-third-generation-mdx-2014-present/91865-tsb-s-2014-mdx-4.html#post1185513

It's ok to keep driving on them, but it will be harsh. NYC roads are.. well.. let's just put it this way: it won't be any worse than it already is! :)

Yeah, Acura made the wrong choice of using the Alabama factory... Every car that comes out of that state is full of issues. Just look at how the GLC (Bremen, though soon to be Valmet in Finland too so we'll see how this holds up) is doing against the C-class sedans (Alabama). They're expanding MDX production into Ohio, but we haven't seen a single report of an Ohio built one yet. I get new rattles and noises every few months, depending on how the sun heats up the MDX. But it takes me about 3-4 visits to get Acura to trace them (despite me telling them where they're coming from) and fix them (and I've found all of them so far for them!).

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ahh.. so maybe you and a few other owners are what caused TSB 16-044... reference: http://www.mdxers.org/forums/94-third-generation-mdx-2014-present/91865-tsb-s-2014-mdx-4.html#post1185513
Ah-ha! That's exactly what the dealer performed on Monday ... a triple transmission fluid flush. SA kept saying this is a "temp" fix until Acura comes out with a permanent solution and encouraged me to change transmission fluid every 10k miles in order to prevent this from happening. Can't believe I have had my torque converter replaced twice and that was never even the issue. Let's see how long this temp fix lasts on my car.

New struts were installed today. Total spent $575 including an alignment, tip, tolls, gas! Much thanks to you and the fine folks here. Thanks for guiding me in the right direction...it means a lot. The car feels so much better on the road. Unbelievable.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
woohoo!

Ah-ha! That's exactly what the dealer performed on Monday ... a triple transmission fluid flush. SA kept saying this is a "temp" fix until Acura comes out with a permanent solution and encouraged me to change transmission fluid every 10k miles in order to prevent this from happening. Can't believe I have had my torque converter replaced twice and that was never even the issue. Let's see how long this temp fix lasts on my car.

New struts were installed today. Total spent $575 including an alignment, tip, tolls, gas! Much thanks to you and the fine folks here. Thanks for guiding me in the right direction...it means a lot. The car feels so much better on the road. Unbelievable.
Glad to hear things turned out well!

Crossing my fingers your TC/fluid issue gets resolved soon. I'm not happy about how Honda is handling their fluids in general (they spec something for us 2016+ folks and don't even have a supply for it!).

·
Premium Member
5,255 Posts
Ah-ha! Got it. Unfortunately I was not able to establish contact with Tim (called, PM'ed, eMailed) and I need the struts so I ended up ordering from Curry Acura for pick-up. I really appreciate the help. You literally saved me hundreds of dollars and now I know where to go for almost any part for my MDX to save some $$$.
Apologies that I missed the PM....never got an email. Might have got a call, I had a couple this week that the area codes got garbled on in VM. It's been stupidly busy this week....but I'm always by email at [email protected] :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Anyone tried to replace front struts for 2014/2015 by him/herself? Need help. I tried but couldn’t remove it.
Removed front wheel, outer tied rod, loosen lower ball joint, removed axle nut and loose it. But there is not enough room to take out the strut. Anyone out there had done this for 2014 mdx fwd? Any help would be appreciated.

I bought OEM strut for $178+ tax each from online Acura dealers. Not a single place sell after market struts for 2104/2015 MDX. Yes not a single place online or locals like Napa, autozone, advance auto, oriely etc. Why non OEM are not being sold?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Anyone tried to replace front struts for 2014/2015 by him/herself? Need help. I tried but couldn’t remove it.
Removed front wheel, outer tied rod, loosen lower ball joint, removed axle nut and loose it. But there is not enough room to take out the strut. Anyone out there had done this for 2014 mdx fwd? Any help would be appreciated.

I bought OEM strut for $178+ tax each from online Acura dealers. Not a single place sell after market struts for 2104/2015 MDX. Yes not a single place online or locals like Napa, autozone, advance auto, oriely etc. Why non OEM are not being sold?
It's two person job on my 2015. You're almost there, remove the axle, not loosen , then use 5' long steel bar(I used floor jack handle) to lower LCA while someone try to remove the strut. No need to remove LCA completely. The worst strut removal, old "fork" mount strut was way easier.

I think it's the reason why you don't see no aftermarket strut available for 3rd gen MDX.
Photo below shows what we had to remove.

02.jpg

·
Registered
15 Posts
It's two person job on my 2015. You're almost there, remove the axle, not loosen , then use 5' long steel bar(I used floor jack handle) to lower LCA while someone try to remove the strut. No need to remove LCA completely. The worst strut removal, old "fork" mount strut was way easier.

I think it's the reason why you don't see no aftermarket strut available for 3rd gen MDX.
Photo below shows what we had to remove.

View attachment 113102
Damn it! I'm right in the middle of this & didn't realize how much of a pain the strut removal is. Who thought this design was a good idea?????

·
Registered
15 Posts
I couldn't get the damn strut out. I don't have a second person strong enough to help me. Got it back together mostly. The strut piston dropped & I can't get it through the top. I've changed struts & shocks dozens of times & I've had had this much trouble.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I couldn't get the damn strut out. I don't have a second person strong enough to help me. Got it back together mostly. The strut piston dropped & I can't get it through the top. I've changed struts & shocks dozens of times & I've had had this much trouble.
This is the same setup as the 2016+ Civic. Use the instructions at https://www.collegehillshonda.com/instructions/civic/2018/4dr/suspensionkit.pdf and you should be OK.

It's not much more work than the previous strut design.

·
Registered
36 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts