Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!
Took my 04 out camping. Towing my pop-up tent trailer. Either way, ac compressor took a crap on the way home and locked up right in front of the house. Car will not start, which I'm guessing is due to the compressor pulley being seized. Anyone know what size belt I can use to bypass the compressor until I get a new compressor? I appreciate it!!
Drew

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Pull the one small wire going to the compressor which should prevent the AC compressor clutch from engaging. Then even if your compressor is seized up, it won't matter.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thinking about it. The clutch is disengaged, was the whole drive. Think the bearings went out on the pulley and locked up.

Drew

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
If the pulley locks up, your AC compressor just stays on full-time. If your compressor locks up, unless your clutch ALSO locks up (two unrelated failures at the same time), you should be able to disconnect the clutch circuit.

Anything is theoretically possible, but it sure sounds unlikely unless your clutch failed in such a spectacular fashion that it's physically jammed into something solid...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thinking something happened in spectacular fashion. Try to start, can hear the starter kick out then everything just goes dark on the dash. Gonna take the belt off after work and try to move it really quick out of the street. Any idea what size belt to use to get around the compressor pulley for now?...

Thanks!
Drew

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
No idea on the length. You might be able to SWAG it by measuring the runs to/from the compressor and then measuring the approximate path around the tensioner pulley bypassing the compressor. Not sure it's going to work too well, since the tensioner is designed to work with the belt wrapping around it a lot more than it would with the compressor bypassed.

There IS a "bypass pulley" that would set you back about $50, and replaces your compressor (and maintain the proper belt alignment / tension).

And FWIW, are you ABSOLUTELY certain that it might not be a locked up alternator or PS pump? That would be very possible, AND wouldn't require two simultaneous failures. Might be worth pulling the belt at leas partially off to check.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Oops - looks like the bypass pulley isn't available past the 2002 model (go figger).

Of course, you could probably just buy a boneyard compressor, even if you never plan to hook it up... chances are you could get one for about the same price as the bypass pulley.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Guy with a TL (basically same engine but you’ll need to confirm belt path) (path shown in the link is same as 06 MDX) that did an AC delete states 69.5 inch belt length. Your local parts shop should be able to find a part number for a shorter belt.

As mentioned, you might want to crank w/o the belt to make sure the frozen AC is really causing the no crank condition.

Good luck!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey guys! I really appreciate all the info. Got the belt off and the compressor pulley is rock solid. Won't move a millimeter. Used existing belt to measure for bypass! I'll let y'all know what happens!

Thanks again!
Drew

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok! A 71.5 inch belt works.... For now. Will update if anything changes!

Safe travels!

Drew

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Good work, Drewfus! Hopefully that info will help someone out in the future.

And I remain flabbergasted by the fact that the compressor failure not only locked up the compressor itself, but also apparently jammed the clutch solid, too. Maybe it was a "heat thing" (where the shaft got so hot that it fused the clutch in the engaged position). At any rate, I would be pretty careful about replacing it in the future, as it's hard to imagine that it didn't fill your system with shrapnel (meaning you'd need to replace the orifice, dryer and condenser, plus flush the system thoroughly and re-fill the oil / refrigerant).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
3 Participants
habbyguy
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing