Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to replace the stock color of the headlights with the cool white effect that I see on other Acura's. My mother's TL has the white for example. What do I need to get this color. I have seen so many things mentioned here, it is getting confusing. I do know that the mention of the $3 or $4 hundred dollar HID is out. I want to replace the main headlight bulbs and the fog or daytime driving bulbs to the white. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
I second Dale's suggestion, I have some sylvanias silverstars and they were whiter that the stock. BUT I decided to get some HID replacements and well, I've seen the light. But Silverstars do look better IMO than other so called HID look bulbs.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help guys. Are those bulbs available about anywhere? Does it require an Acura specific bulb? Thanks so much for the help.

BTW...Will these bulbs have that almost blue light to them. Seems like the ones in my mother's TL have almost a blue tint to them.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Silverstars

The size for the MDX is pretty common 9006 for lows & fogs, 9005 for highs. You need two pair of the 6s and one pair of 5s. Figure about $40-50 a pair, though with shopping you might do better. The nice thing about these being from Slyvania is they do sell for $25 or less each, while this is about triple what the stock bulbs cost, they have no downside. Some of the other "imported" bulbs do sell for much more, last far shorter, and are not as good.

Last thing -- Sylvania IS selling HID kits that are DOT legal. They are also pretty darn good price, at about $500 a pair they are half or one third of earlier generation "home brewed" kits. While $150 is alot more affordable than $1500, the possibility of going to "tri-xenon" is becoming more of a real option...

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
Here is sylvanias web site and I linked it already to the MDX and here is the link for the Silverstars

1 - 6 of 6 Posts