Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all,

I Was wondering if anybody out there can help me with this. I currently have a base MDX with NAv and I have the Acura CD Changer under the drivers seat.

I want to remove that and add the Alpine 6 disc DVD changer. The only problem is that has the Ai-Net interface. Is there an adapter out there which will allow me to connect the Ai-Net DVD changer to the MDX radio? I know they have adapters to connect the M-Bus changers, but this does not help me.

Also, if this is not available is there an adapter to convert the cd input on the back of the radio to RCA inputs?

I currently have a dvd player connected through an FM Modulator and the sound is not really where I like it.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Mush

·
Registered
282 Posts
Some answers...maybe

Is your base nav a Bose? Anyways, I had the oem Bose headunit looked at by a local stereo tech in my area. I had him test the unit and tell me what things can we do to it to modify it should I elect to modify it to attach aftermarket amps to it, without the use of hi-low pass converters. The rca mod is actally the best way to go and will yield as good as a clean signal as an aftermarket head unit with built in rcas. The drawback was the cost at $ 300.00. I bought a DVD,CD,VCD source unit instead for under $ 600.00. It was the better choice if I was going to fork out a few hundred dollars. The adapter for the Alpine DVD,CD changer is tricky though because according to the tech, the oem head unit is actually manufactured by Pioneer, weird since Acura is using an Alpine based dvd nav system. Try looking for a Pioneer adapter instead maybe they have the adapter that will fit the Alpine, who knows? Try Pie peripherals( DPX Techonology-Part HON-AUX**92-02 Acura/Honda to allow OEM radio's cd changer port to be used as an RCA aux input or part Hon/PC-ALP** allows 92-01 Honda/Acura CD-Controller Radio to Alpine 6 disc changer), Peripheral Electronics part HONIL**98-02 Honda/Acura to Alpine M-Bus CD changer interface,
I hope this helps. Let us know how succesful you are. If you do decide the aftermarket route let me know, I can research the best prices most of the time on most audio/video gear. Stick with the Alpine since you have the CD/DVD changer already. By the way this was reviewed a couple of months ago and it tested with very high scores. So you do have a winner in your hands. Good luck by the way.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I will definitely try the PIE connectors.

My system is the NON-Bose radio with Navigation.

Mush

·
Registered
679 Posts
Mushman, I have an Alpine dvd changer in my CR-V, but it's hooked up to an Alpine head unit too. However according to the specs, the changer has Ai-NET and stand-alone capablility, so I'm guessing it will work in your 'X even if you don't have an Alpine head unit. Click here to see the specs:

http://ecominet2.alpine-usa.com:7777/pls/admn/item_info1a?p_item_name=DHA-S680&p_category=21&p_subcategory=75&p_main=30&p_more=y

I'd recommend calling a good stereo shop to find out what they say before you buy it though. You can click on "dvd" in my sig line below for more info on my setup. Good luck.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'd try giving Peripheral a call. Their phone number is located at their website peripheral-aamp.com

I know some Alpine components are controlled by Ai-net or M-bus or both. The new CHA-S634 is a good example of the later (Its a slick 6 disc CD changer capable of playing CDRs and CDRW's with a built-in MP3 decoder). With this device, you need to purchase the Alpine KCA-130B adapter in order to utilize the M-bus connection. Plug that into Peripheral's HONIL adapter and (I believe!) I should be able to have a very cheap MP3 player with about 6.5 gigs of memory without having to upgrade my MDX base head unit...I digress.

I don't know what model DVD changer you have, but the only one I'm aware of is the Alpine DHA-S680, and for that model the KCA-130B is not an option, in other words, I don't believe the HONIL adapter will do you any good...I'm sure there are more options. Again, Peripheral should know a lot more! If nothing more, you'll have to use the provided remote vs. the OEM stereo's controls. Good luck and keep us up to date!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts