Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I need some help removing the bolt from the bottom of the rear stabilizer link. The link itself has broken off long ago leaving just the bolts. The bolts are so rusted that all do is spin when I try to unscrew the nut. I was able to cut the top bolt but the lower bolt is difficult to reach. I can't even use my saw to cut the lower bolt because it's so deep down in the base.

On the other side of the metal frame is the nut and that's also kind of hard to get to.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Because it's round on this end, you can't really grip it with with vice grips, so you need to grind it or cut it down until part of it is flat. You can use a grinder or a reciprocating saw for that, for example.

See what I did here:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Because it's round on this end, you can't really grip it with with vice grips, so you need to grind it or cut it down until part of it is flat. You can use a grinder or a reciprocating saw for that, for example.

See what I did here:
Yes I have watched your video and it was helpful for the top bolt (thanks!). But the bottom bolt is in a spot near bottom of the springs. There is no room to get the saw down there. I don't have a grinder but I'm not sure if there is enough space to fit one down there too. If you look at my photo there's not much space to fit any tools between the shocks and a shaft. How did you remove yours (it wasn't in the video) ?

EDIT: I rewatched your video and it looks like you did the fronts which I guess was easier (your bottom bolt isn't in a hard to access spot). Have you done your rears?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Yes, I've done my rear ones as well, just didn't film it. They were both straightforward and I was able to take both off without any grinding.

I guess if there's no space for a saw, your only option is to blow torch the f out of them.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I've done my rear ones as well, just didn't film it. They were both straightforward and I was able to take both off without any grinding.

I guess if there's no space for a saw, your only option is to blow torch the f out of them.
So you used just your saw for your rear and cut the round part off?

One thing I noticed is that once the car was jacked, the wheel part hung lower. So even if I got the bottom bolt removed, the distance from the top bolt to the bottom bolt seemed longer than the replacement links that I got.
Did you have to somehow raise the wheel part up to the correct height?

I should have gotten the correct rear links so they should be the right length
K750750 Right
K759749 Left

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
So you used just your saw for your rear and cut the round part off?
Again, my rears were fine. The video is for the fronts.

One thing I noticed is that once the car was jacked, the wheel part hung lower. So even if I got the bottom bolt removed, the distance from the top bolt to the bottom bolt seemed longer than the replacement links that I got. Did you have to somehow raise the wheel part up to the correct height?
You need to jack up the lower arm / knuckle to align the bolts and holes.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Remove the rear shock and it is not that hard. Now you have more open space to work on. Use this type of wrench to remove the nut from the other side and get a heavy duty vise grip pliers to hold that ball head. It is a poor bolt head design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Remove the rear shock and it is not that hard. Now you have more open space to work on. Use this type of wrench to remove the nut from the other side and get a heavy duty vise grip pliers to hold that ball head. It is a poor bolt head design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh that's not a bad idea. Thanks will give this a try

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes I have watched your video and it was helpful for the top bolt (thanks!). But the bottom bolt is in a spot near bottom of the springs. There is no room to get the saw down there. I don't have a grinder but I'm not sure if there is enough space to fit one down there too. If you look at my photo there's not much space to fit any tools between the shocks and a shaft. How did you remove yours (it wasn't in the video) ?

EDIT: I rewatched your video and it looks like you did the fronts which I guess was easier (your bottom bolt isn't in a hard to access spot). Have you done your rears?
That's the video I used..... It works.. But it's tough

1 - 9 of 9 Posts