Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. My 2016 MDX is easily the nicest and most expensive car I've had. I want to take good care of it. I tried searching the forums for cleaners and some posts are several years old so I would like to hear some recommendations on cleaning products, where to buy (Amazon, eBay, Griot's, etc), waterless products, and anything else that might be useful. My car will be kept outside and will see rain and snow. I really appreciate any recoomendations.

·
Registered
313 Posts
It's going to be tough keeping a car outdoors clean and the paint in good shape. As far as products go, almost all of them are excellent if used properly, it's personal preference really.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, difficult, but products could help. I thought a good wax would be important since the car would be outdoors in the elements. I also thought a waterless type of product would be good and practical for winter washing.

·
Registered
641 Posts
If you're going to keep it outside, you need the best protection there is, and that means a silica (Cquartz, 22PLE, Gtechniq) or silicon carbide (Opti-Coat) paint coating. I don't think Opti-Coat Pro is the best overall paint coating out there, but for durability, it's still king of the mountain. Opti-Coat Pro is professional use only, but consumers can get Optimum Gloss Coat (replaces Opti-Coat 2.0).

I would not recommend a waterless wash if your car has anything more than light dust on it. What you might want instead is a rinseless wash, where you mix the concentrate with water, but don't need to rinse it off. Optimum No-Rinse is the most well known rinseless wash, but there is also QEW which you can buy at Camping World, and Chemical Guys Hose Free ECOWash. I've only used ONR. QEW is pretty old-school, I'm not sure its development has kept up with the other products.

Forget shopping at the local auto parts store, that's for the ignorant. I buy most of my stuff from Detailed Image, but I know a guy through the Lexus forums who is a reseller for them and I get a steep discount. There's always AutoGeek too.

·
Registered
313 Posts
The problem with coatings is they are more sensitive to water spots and etching, which are big problems on cars living outdoors.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've been super happy with CQuarts. Hydro Silex for maintenance. I've also just used straight Hydro Silex with good results. With proper application I've never had any spotting issues. If water dries there can be some spotting since it beads up so much but a good maintenance wash takes care of that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts