Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2003 Acura MDX and have a power steering leak. I haven't been able to afford repairs and I always know when its getting low and add required steering fluid when needed. Noise always stops after adding fluid but today it worsened. Anyone know why? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
So sorry you are having this issue! I cannot say for sure, but I know in the past, when I have had power steering fluid issues, a couple of things have happened.

1. I let it get too low and the problem worsened
2. I used the WRONG power steering fluid for that vehicle (not good!)
3. Didn't put the power steering fluid into the right fill spout (also, NOT GOOD!)
4. Power steering pump could also be going bad
5. You could have gotten a bubble when adding fluid, try moving the steering wheel back and forth a few times to see if will right itself.

Check your owners manual for specifications of EXACTLY what type of power steering fluid you SHOULD be using, make sure you put it in the right opening and start saving your pennies to get the problem resolved correctly, before damage begins to happen to your power steering system making repairs more extensive or replacement of the sytem more costly. Its not much help, but that's what I know!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Where is the leaking fluid ending up on the ground? Put some spread open newspapers under the engine area. If the car is not garaged, use a few rocks to keep the newsprint in place.

If the leak is toward the rear of the engine compartment, its the rack and pinion assembly. If its toward the front right (near the passenger side wheel), its the shaft seal on the power steering pump.

Either way, its going to cost a moderate amount of money for parts and labor. Cheaper if its the pump, because its just two bolts and no obstruction. Replacing the rack and pinion is some serious work on the MDX.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hopefully, it's just as easy as worn out O-rings which you can replace for few bucks. I also had small leaks but I was able to pinpoint the leak as it was leaking by the PS pump (replacing the o-rings did the trick).

Aside from the leak problem, steering will be difficult if your PS fluid is dirty. You won't believe the gunk that comes out when you do the PS fluid flush. When I went to one of those oil change chains (Valvoline I think), they topped up my PS fluid using the regular fluid. That's a big no-no. I didn't really think about for couple weeks then steering became really hard so I flushed the PS fluid, and voila! The steering is as good as new.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts