Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I'm needing some help I have an Acura MDX 01y baby!! we replaced everything to the starter, alternator,,battery, spark plug, ignition coils, replace the valve cover gaskets, which two of the spark plug ignition coils were covered in oil due to the gaskets on the plug holes being eaten up. When we put the tester on ignition coil wire plug they all have power going to them. So I'm not sure what's going on there unless the new ignition coils are not working properly. My new battery keeps going dead for some reason it just doesn't want to start up all fuses are good the only ones I haven't checked are the big square black ones not exactly sure how we check those or where we can get them at a reasonable price. Please help us out the only vehicle we got to get it going I put seafoam in the gas tank yesterday we're going to try and get it going see if that will help get the spark going. I don't know if we need to put starter fluid on a spark plug to see if that helps but if somebody could give us some advice that would be great.We really don't have the money to take it to a shop. Before this my vtm-4 light was coming on off and on. I was driving and it just died right in the road still had power just wouldn't start up completely died. Acted like it wanted to start a few times but nothing. Please please please help me out

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
We
Okay so I'm needing some help I have an Acura MDX 01y baby!! we replaced everything to the starter, alternator,,battery, spark plug, ignition coils, replace the valve cover gaskets, which two of the spark plug ignition coils were covered in oil due to the gaskets on the plug holes being eaten up. When we put the tester on ignition coil wire plug they all have power going to them. So I'm not sure what's going on there unless the new ignition coils are not working properly. My new battery keeps going dead for some reason it just doesn't want to start up all fuses are good the only ones I haven't checked are the big square black ones not exactly sure how we check those or where we can get them at a reasonable price. Please help us out the only vehicle we got to get it going I put seafoam in the gas tank yesterday we're going to try and get it going see if that will help get the spark going. I don't know if we need to put starter fluid on a spark plug to see if that helps but if somebody could give us some advice that would be great.We really don't have the money to take it to a shop. Before this my vtm-4 light was coming on off and on. I was driving and it just died right in the road still had power just wouldn't start up completely died. Acted like it wanted to start a few times but nothing. Please please please help me out
Have now replaced our battery with a new one just in case an alittle bigger

·
Registered
613 Posts
How many miles?

So if a car doesn’t start, it’s typically a spark and/or fuel problem.

With all the changes made, you should go through and make sure all connections esp starter, alt, and battery were made correctly, the connections are good, and no broken wires. Batt terminals/connections need to be clean and tight.

That the battery is going dead shows you have an electrical draw somewhere and the starter won’t turn if the battery drains and the voltage gets too low.

When the battery was brand new did the engine at least crank? If it cranked, did it start or just fire a few times and die?

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
If you don't have money to take a car to the shop, I'd suggest that you probably don't want to be replacing expensive parts at random, either... A little thoughtful diagnosis will go a LONG way toward finding the source of the problem.

I can't really make out what's going on from the description (other than there are a lot of new parts).

But basically, an engine needs three things to run.
Gas, spark, and compression.

You can see if it's a "gas problem" by spraying some starting fluid into the air cleaner box. If the engine fires up for a few seconds, you know to look for a "gas problem" (fuel pressure / filter / pump, etc.).

I'm a little confused - it sounds like the car won't start, so it's not too surprising that the battery will go dead (at least after lots of starting attempts). That'll run a battery down in short order.

Replacing all the coils is not something I'd ever do on a Honda / Acura - the stock coils just don't fail very often, and aftermarket coils just aren't as robust (so you've probably increased the chances for a problem by replacing them). It does make sense to replace one when you get a code for a specific cylinder misfiring (after checking the plug).

If I were to guess (which I have to do since the OP didn't mention these details), this is a high-mileage vehicle that's had skimpy maintenance. My next guess would be that it's never had a timing belt changed, and that the "death on the road" was due to the timing belt slipping a couple teeth (best case scenario) or more (worst case scenario). You can usually get an idea of the condition of the timing belt by loosening the timing belt cover enough to deflect it a bit - I'm betting it's shot. If you're VERY lucky, it only slipped enough to stop the engine from running, and not QUITE enough to start destroying the valves / valve guides / heads / pistons.

Google how to check the timing marks on the Honda V6, and do that. If the marks don't line up, BUT ARE CLOSE, you need to replace the timing belt (along with the tensioners and water pump). About $1000 at a good independent shop, or a few hundred bucks and an afternoon in your driveway if you're handy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How many miles?

So if a car doesn’t start, it’s typically a spark and/or fuel problem.

With all the changes made, you should go through and make sure all connections esp starter, alt, and battery were made correctly, the connections are good, and no broken wires. Batt terminals/connections need to be clean and tight.

That the battery is going dead shows you have an electrical draw somewhere and the starter won’t turn if the battery drains and the voltage gets too low.

When the battery was brand new did the engine at least crank? If it cranked, did it start or just fire a few times and die?
It was cranking but still no start

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you don't have money to take a car to the shop, I'd suggest that you probably don't want to be replacing expensive parts at random, either... A little thoughtful diagnosis will go a LONG way toward finding the source of the problem.

I can't really make out what's going on from the description (other than there are a lot of new parts).

But basically, an engine needs three things to run.
Gas, spark, and compression.

You can see if it's a "gas problem" by spraying some starting fluid into the air cleaner box. If the engine fires up for a few seconds, you know to look for a "gas problem" (fuel pressure / filter / pump, etc.).

I'm a little confused - it sounds like the car won't start, so it's not too surprising that the battery will go dead (at least after lots of starting attempts). That'll run a battery down in short order.

Replacing all the coils is not something I'd ever do on a Honda / Acura - the stock coils just don't fail very often, and aftermarket coils just aren't as robust (so you've probably increased the chances for a problem by replacing them). It does make sense to replace one when you get a code for a specific cylinder misfiring (after checking the plug).

If I were to guess (which I have to do since the OP didn't mention these details), this is a high-mileage vehicle that's had skimpy maintenance. My next guess would be that it's never had a timing belt changed, and that the "death on the road" was due to the timing belt slipping a couple teeth (best case scenario) or more (worst case scenario). You can usually get an idea of the condition of the timing belt by loosening the timing belt cover enough to deflect it a bit - I'm betting it's shot. If you're VERY lucky, it only slipped enough to stop the engine from running, and not QUITE enough to start destroying the valves / valve guides / heads / pistons.

Google how to check the timing marks on the Honda V6, and do that. If the marks don't line up, BUT ARE CLOSE, you need to replace the timing belt (along with the tensioners and water pump). About $1000 at a good independent shop, or a few hundred bucks and an afternoon in your driveway if you're handy.
We are going to check the timing belt line up. We don't know if it's been replaced, the owners before us said they did all maintance. It does crank but still won't start. If we pump it a bit it will finally back fire once but still not start. We bought another new battery an took the other back and we do have more power and now starter acts and is trying to start it up but it still won't start. Could it be the PGM FI relay possibly?

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
It's not the battery. It's not the fuel injection relay. The backfire tells you it's a timing problem.

If you've got lots of time and money, you can keep guessing, and keep spending money on other new parts.

Or you can check that timing belt.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts