Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Checked Helm and the manual is out of stock on their site. I need to know the instructions to test the APPS and TPS on the throttle body. Getting code P2227, which indicates the Baro sensor is bad, but that can also mean the TPS is bad (new throttle body needed) or potentially a bad APPS. Both parts are in the 150 range to purchase. It could also be a bad ECU, but that is 200 to get repaired. Would like to be able to eliminate the TPS and APPS as an issue before repairing the ECU. Hate to throw parts at it and spend 500 when I could spend 150 or 200 and be done with it.:grin:

·
Registered
759 Posts
You could use throttle body cleaner and clean the MAP sensor, reset the MIL, and see if the code comes back.

If you remove the MAP to clean, also check the O-ring.

If the code returns, you could reset the MIL, start the engine and disconnect the plug on the MAP sensor and see if you get the same code.

The MAP sits in a bore with a passage way that potentially could get clogged. Typically have to remove the TB to get to he passage way. I was able to remove my TB and not damage the gasket.

Re cost, a MAP on rockauto is probably $35. Not saying to throw parts at it but it’s a lower cost source.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I Just bought a 2004 and got the FSM PDF by Bishko from Amazon

Can't post a link because of being new to teh forums, but if you enter thsi in Amazon search it will take you to it.

2003 2004 2005 2006 Acura MDX Shop Service Repair Manual CD w/ 03-05 MDX ETM

This is a PDF version of the FSM and is fully searchable.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Having an HDS (Honda Diagnostic System) clone would be pretty helpful for one like this. The factory manual troubleshooting for P2227 is pretty limited (doesn't really talk about much other than the PCM), but hopefully it'll help a bit...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anyone in Tampa have an HDS I could get a few minutes on? Short of having the HDS, I think I have eliminated all the other options. No obstructions in the air intake, cleaned the MAP and throttle body (including the passage for the MAP). If I unplug the MAP sensor, it will barely start. Left the battery unplugged and the code went away, but it is still showing as a pending code, so it is just a matter of time before it comes back again. If I cannot lay hands on an HDS, there is a mechanic locally that indicates they can reprogram the PCM. All indicators point to either a bad PCM or one with an out of date program on it.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Not to your question about HDS but FWIW, the P1129 reference in habbys post is a MAP sensor out but can also indicate a vacuum leak or PCV. Might want to double check hoses running to the intake or TB. You didnt mention other codes but thought to throw that in here.

After/if you disconnect the battery, remember to do the idle relearn. Need to turn off lights, fan, and AC and let it idle for 7-10 mins after the engine reaches temp.

I think the Baro sensor is built into the PCM so if you go the reprogram route, you might want to discuss with your mech what happens if the sensor is bad (hopefully not) and the reprogram doesnt work.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Replaced the MAP sensor and just for grins put in a new air filter (the one in it was not bad at all, but I figured it could not hurt. Drove the heck out of it and it did not throw the code. Going to drive it a lot tomorrow and see if it comes back.

I did check for vacuum leaks and did not find any. It is not throwing any other codes, just that pesky P2227 (until now). Hoping the MAP sensor was the issue. Will update in a couple of days one way or the other.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, the code came back. My only conclusion is that there is an issue with the ECM. I yanked it to day and sent it off to ModuleExperts in Jacksonville, FL. A little over 200 bucks and they will diagnose and repair it as well as flash it. They should get it by Wednesday (Did not get it to the post office in time for today's mail), and get it back by Wednesday at the latest. Will update when I get it back. I guess I am one of the lucky ones who has a computer failure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got word back from the repair place. The ECM is damaged beyond repair. Have another one coming and the old one coming back. Will use the old one just long enough to get the car to the shop and program the new one. What a pain!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.