Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have MDX 2017 technology pckg with low miles. No known problem with the vehicle so far.
I am planning to go to dealer and get ATF cooler and tow package installed and tow approx 3000lb trailer ( 2020 Hummingbird Travel Trailer | Jayco, Inc. ) this summer around woods.

Can anyone share their experience ? I am worried that I may spend couple of thousand $$ and still end up with broken system. First time towing a trailer.

Also any particular brand of equipment or service center you recommend around bay area?

·
Registered
693 Posts
Here is a towing thread you may find helpful. Check out page 2 and a member who's handle is stevendebbie and his pics of his Airstream trailer setup. IMO the OEM trans cooler is undersized for this type of towing and I would suggest a TruCool 4454 both for it's greater capacity and it's cold fluid bypass that allows the fluid to get to operating temp before it cools it.

·
Registered
481 Posts
If your going to have the cooler installed, have them to a trans service at the same time. As for the hitch? Most any DIYer can handle that part in a couple of hours. The instructions from Acura are clearly written with lots of illustrations.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Think long and hard about this. I had one installed on my 2017 SH AWD and ultimately had to have them take it back off. They did this at no charge including labor. Why? The cooler has a known issue that causes a knock as the first dog clutch engages on the ZF9. It drove me CRAZY in such a nice vehicle. The Regional Acura service dude was involved and eventually said the knock is normal for the cooler as it "opens" the system where the sound can escape and is amplified by the confines of the engine compartment. There is much discussion on this if you search and it was certainly more than just me. In my case I had the option to remove as my boat/motor/trailer are only around 2200lbs and I tow in flat as a pancake Florida and even then only 4-5 times a year.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Think long and hard about this. I had one installed on my 2017 SH AWD and ultimately had to have them take it back off. They did this at no charge including labor. Why? The cooler has a known issue
Absolutely agree with this. You're good for 3500 pounds without it. This really shouldn't happen - lots of cars have auxiliary trans fluid coolers with no issues, but I guess it's just one more quirk with the ZF 9-speed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts