Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Rattles, chrome trim pieces not seated (insufficient adhesive), excessive panel gaps, paint inconsistencies, panels don't line up right, infotainment glitches, interior trim clips not seated from the factory, problems with the lumbar support squeaking and popping (now solved). And that's without getting into the various bizarre drivetrain noises that I've just learned to ignore. I'm sure I've missed a few, but you get the picture. I'm not saying that every MDX is like this, but the fact that they allowed this one to leave the factory like this is pretty telling of Honda's overall attention to quality.
Except for the infotainment system and a misaligned gas cap cover,I’ve not had those problems.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Most of the problems you read about the 3rd gen are subjective opinions rather than hard failures. The ZF9 is a fine transmission and its had very few failures as far as I know. It does have a firm 1-2 shift when cold, but that goes away. It's weird to me how many people post about firm shifts, but much more rare are the posts about the downshift latency. Once up to speed and you need quick burst of speed, the car feels dead and then about the time the window is closed for you to make your move the engine roars and you get the acceleration you commanded, often too late. The transmission is functioning as designed, but gets reported as a problem and gives the allusion to some that Honda/Acura quality is in "free fall", its not.
I have lived with the horrors of the ZF9 spd and when so many owners complain its not subjective. The gearbox is noway fine and has known documented issues and not just in Acura but in every application which includes a bunch of FCA cars(Dodge, Jeep, Chrysler). My own experience was bad with a 2015 TLX. Your example itself shows poor design but you are willing to accept it as intended behavior which many including me wont take as acceptable behavior.

I agree that some people are more sensitive to an erratic gearbox than others, sp the OP should test drive and then decide.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yeah Acura/Honda doesn't have any excuses especially when Hyundai can get it right with the Palisade & Genesis GV80. Price range is comparable or even lower.
Grass is always greener. GV80 isn't even available yet, so not sure how you know they "got it right". As far as the Palisade, they have their forum with plenty of complaints as well:

I'm not an apologist for Acura, but it is the rare care that doesn't have issues. Drive and decide.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Rattles, chrome trim pieces not seated (insufficient adhesive), excessive panel gaps, paint inconsistencies, panels don't line up right, infotainment glitches, interior trim clips not seated from the factory, problems with the lumbar support squeaking and popping (now solved). And that's without getting into the various bizarre drivetrain noises that I've just learned to ignore. I'm sure I've missed a few, but you get the picture. I'm not saying that every MDX is like this, but the fact that they allowed this one to leave the factory like this is pretty telling of Honda's overall attention to quality.
Definitely sucks to have a new car with all of these issues. Most would be warranty issues, no? Still a major hassle.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've had my 2017 MDX for a little less than two months but have already put on 4,400 miles. I had been reading this forum (and the CX-9 forum) for over a year so I knew all of the shortcomings others have had with this vehicle. Because of that, I had my expectations managed for fit and finish, and the ZF9's behavior. I'd agree that it isn't a flawless transmission, but so far I have only experienced a rough shift within the first 2 minutes of driving on colder days. I was expecting to dislike the shifting based on the number of complaints but honestly most days I never give it a thought. I have not experienced latency in downshifts ever, but I'm also not an aggressive driver so I don't jam the accelerator to exploit small gaps in traffic.
Despite all the scary stuff I read, I chose the MDX for it's utility, fuel economy, and reliability which are far more important to me than panel gaps. I also chose the Base model for ride comfort (18s ride quieter and smoother than the 20s on the other trims I tested). Good luck in your search!

·
Registered
432 Posts
I have lived with the horrors of the ZF9 spd and when so many owners complain its not subjective. The gearbox is noway fine and has known documented issues and not just in Acura but in every application which includes a bunch of FCA cars(Dodge, Jeep, Chrysler). My own experience was bad with a 2015 TLX. Your example itself shows poor design but you are willing to accept it as intended behavior which many including me wont take as acceptable behavior.

I agree that some people are more sensitive to an erratic gearbox than others, sp the OP should test drive and then decide.
Sooo, basically you're restating what I said, that the OP should decide for himself if it's OK or not. I can live with it, you can't...that is called subjective and it's how car buying is supposed to work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was just about formally decided on a ‘17 MDX and was wondering about the removability of the second row console which led me to this site but it appears it’s not an easy removal to create a second row pass through.

Now I’ve read about the harsh 1-2 shifting problems and am getting scared off. Is the shifting problem with all recent redesigned G3’s or is it only 17’s and newer?

I’m curious of your opinion as owners and what you would do if you could go back? Would you still get the MDX or would you have gone a different direction? If so which? Thanks for your feedback!
The ZF9 speed, at least the early ones have been plagued with shifting issues. There are several updates that have taken care of that. The ZF9 speed may not be the best transmission, but so far mine has been fine. Extended warranty takes care of the rest.
Second row bucket seats is on the Advanced. Base and Tech get second and third row bench seats.
In all honesty if I had waited another year I would be driving a Kia Teliruid.
All you guys talking about buying Teliruids and Hyundias are crazy! I don't care how much chrome they throw on them its still a cheap Kia or Hyundia.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was just about formally decided on a ‘17 MDX and was wondering about the removability of the second row console which led me to this site but it appears it’s not an easy removal to create a second row pass through.

Now I’ve read about the harsh 1-2 shifting problems and am getting scared off. Is the shifting problem with all recent redesigned G3’s or is it only 17’s and newer?

I’m curious of your opinion as owners and what you would do if you could go back? Would you still get the MDX or would you have gone a different direction? If so which? Thanks for your feedback!
I bought my 2017 MDX SAWD a month ago or so. After buying it I was thrilled - and within 6 hours I was sick to my stomach that I made such a quick decision as I really didn’t need it. (Traded in a 2018 Subaru Forster as I wanted a third row but wasn’t a life necessity). But driving it for awhile now I can tell why it is valued $15k more than the top of the line Subaru. Smooth, space, and overall experience. I’ve also made some small investments on it to make it appear newer (paint correction, ceramic paint protection, protection film on the front) and to fix some the shifting drag I bought a PedalCommander and will likely replace it with KTuner once they develop it for the 2017 - they said soon. In regard to the 2nd row center consol - you can’t remove it. I asked the sales person the same question. I decided on the bench seats as I have two kids so the space in the middle is best used otherwise than cup holders.
Unless you want to spend $45k or more on a Highlander or Telluride, the MDX is the choice. Then again I got lucky with a ‘17 with only 14k miles. I also tried the Outlander and Palisade and was immediately turned off.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
99 Posts
We’ve had our 2017 for about 4 months and no complaints. We did have the rear camera replaced under warranty. I can get 25mpg hwy with 87 octane. I wasn’t expecting better fuel mileage bcs of the weight (4400lbs) and awd. But it gets 10mpg better hwy mph than my last suv. So I’m fine with fuel consumption. And I like the transmission, so far so good... plenty of power no problems downshifting. I got it up to 100mph today and it was no biggy. Adaptive cruise takes some getting used to but I like it too. I do not like the infotainment, but I had low expectations bcs I knew what I was getting into. I use my phone for most things anyway. I researched every vehicle in its class above and below. And I chose the MDX, I checked out the telluride also and I decided I’d rather have an almost 2yo MDX rather than a brand new Kia/Hyundai. I almost bought a new explorer, but I knew it was too new a design to buy. My wife really likes the Acura, and we have a saying (saw it in a magazine) if you can’t afford the Lincoln Navigator buy the MDX... which we did.

·
Registered
99 Posts
We’ve had our 2017 for about 4 months and no complaints. We did have the rear camera replaced under warranty. I can get 25mpg hwy with 87 octane. I wasn’t expecting better fuel mileage bcs of the weight (4400lbs) and awd. But it gets 10mpg better hwy mph than my last suv. So I’m fine with fuel consumption. And I like the transmission, so far so good... plenty of power no problems downshifting. I got it up to 100mph today and it was no biggy. Adaptive cruise takes some getting used to but I like it too. I do not like the infotainment, but I had low expectations bcs I knew what I was getting into. I use my phone for most things anyway. I researched every vehicle in its class above and below. And I chose the MDX, I checked out the telluride also and I decided I’d rather have an almost 2yo MDX rather than a brand new Kia/Hyundai. I almost bought a new explorer, but I knew it was too new a design to buy. My wife really likes the Acura, and we have a saying (saw it in a magazine) if you can’t afford the Lincoln Navigator buy the MDX... which we did.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Bought a used 17 Tech over a year ago .... always wanted an MDX. Love the ride, quietness, features, etc. for the money. Problems have been the harshness of the tranny, although have gotten much better the last 6 months and no longer bothers me. The other was the Navi. It would get lost nearly every time when driving in my neighborhood. Not bad outside of it. Took it into my dealer 7 times and had everything possible done to it (replaced everything and software updates) but it still occasionally gets lost. Opened a case with Acura Client Relations and was finally compensated for the bad Navi.
Overall a really nice car outside of those two issues, but what really impresses me is the mpg. On vacation right now in FL. Drove from eastern TN to Lake City FL and still have almost a quarter of a tank left. 495 miles. Dash mpg indicated 28.9 mpg. Not bad. I use premium although have used mid grade with nearly the same results. This is not the first time I got 29 mpg. It does very well In this category.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I had a '17 SH-AWD Tech that was built very late in the '17 model year (Jul '17). I had a couple of immediate issues with the second row seats rattling that required replacement of the seat frames, but once those were resolved it was fairly smooth sailing. The 9 speed was a bit harsh from 1-2 when cold, but got smoother when warmed up. I didn't mind it much. The big issue I personally had was the nav system, which even after replacement of every component, the system would still lose track of where the car was and it was extremely unreliable. I tried working with Acura corporate but they were of little help. The dealer ended up getting me out of my lease 1 year early and they absorbed the financial hit, and moved me into a '19 SH-AWD Advance...

The '19 SH-AWD Advance is a much better vehicle in terms of fit/finish than the '17. The transmission shifts differently (even my wife noticed) and I've seen no harsh shifting or other issues. Of course the added features are great to have, but comparatively the '19 is more solid than the '17 was.

Just my $.02....

andy

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I wanted a +18 MDX because of Carplay. I've put on about 8000 miles of road trips miles out of the 13,000 miles on the odo on my 19 MDX. I'm surprised I don't use carplay as much as I thought I would. Factor in the IOS 13.X.X. update that killed carplay for me for months last fall. I find it easier to connect my smartphone with bluetooth, have Waze on the phone in a cup holder for alerts heard on front speakers, and use the Acura navi when needed. The only time I use carplay for navi if I have to use it on the go because Acura navi locks you out in gear.

I haven't signed up for 3 months free of Acuralink in my MDX. I have the free 3 months on my 18 RLX and it should be free because of the limited features it has.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Sooo, basically you're restating what I said, that the OP should decide for himself if it's OK or not. I can live with it, you can't...that is called subjective and it's how car buying is supposed to work.
If that's all you understood from my post then sure

·
Registered
223 Posts
No, but if you sold the car, that would help. With so many choices of vehicles, why do you guys that loathe the ZF9 continue to own them?
There is something called as Depreciation hit which people don't want to take, not sure if you are aware of it.

Also just because the overall package is great one shouldn't be blind to its flaws, the ZF9 is a shitty gb period, does that make the MDX a bad vehicle no.

·
Registered
432 Posts
There is something called as Depreciation hit which people don't want to take, not sure if you are aware of it.

Also just because the overall package is great one shouldn't be blind to its flaws, the ZF9 is a shitty gb period, does that make the MDX a bad vehicle no.
We get it, you had a bad experience, but as much as you want to sell the idea that EVERYONE that has a 2016+ MDX shares your opinion shows ignorance to the nature of message boards and comment sections. It cracks me up that you come in all hot, then close with a statement like "the ZF9 is a shitty gb <gearbox> period, <but> does that make the MDX a bad vehicle<?,> no." (I added punctuation for clarity, but amend if I got it wrong). I agree, the ZF9 has issues and overall I think the MDX could be better (based on my experience with the previous two generations) but it's 100% on me that I wrote a $50-something thousand dollar check for the car. Here's to hoping the 4th gen is a winner! If it's not, then I'm not going to hang around here whining about how bad it is...it's sad that people do that...just move on.

·
Registered
57 Posts
We get it, you had a bad experience, but as much as you want to sell the idea that EVERYONE that has a 2016+ MDX shares your opinion shows ignorance to the nature of message boards and comment sections. It cracks me up that you come in all hot, then close with a statement like "the ZF9 is a shitty gb <gearbox> period, <but> does that make the MDX a bad vehicle<?,> no." (I added punctuation for clarity, but amend if I got it wrong). I agree, the ZF9 has issues and overall I think the MDX could be better (based on my experience with the previous two generations) but it's 100% on me that I wrote a $50-something thousand dollar check for the car. Here's to hoping the 4th gen is a winner! If it's not, then I'm not going to hang around here whining about how bad it is...it's sad that people do that...just move on.
I think you are missing the purpose of the thread just to prove that your point is valid.

For the record I did move on from that shitty gb. You want to be the frog in the well go ahead. But please don't mislead folks who turn to forums for genuine feedback.

Anyways I have said what I wanted to, not wasting any more time.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts