Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to clean egr ports, i keep searching and not finding any video and or diy pics of how to clean the ports out.

Is it just taking top of intake manifold cover off to clean them or do i have to take the intake manifold out to get to them??

I'm getting rough idle, misfires, poor mph, rought start, and some stalling.

Thinking to clean egr ports first, replace egr valven next, then maybe valve adjustment...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Haven't done it but the FSM says remove plastic cover, remove 2 nuts and one connector, Then lift off EGR Valve.

It also calls for a new gasket so you might want to have one on hand.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haven't done it but the FSM says remove plastic cover, remove 2 nuts and one connector, Then lift off EGR Valve.

It also calls for a new gasket so you might want to have one on hand.

I know how to replace the actual EGR valve, I want to clean the port that connects to EGR valve and goes back up to the intake manifold, thats what lots of people seem to say gets clogged as its a 90 degree angle in the port and it gets blocked causing egr problems even though the egr valve may be just fine...

·
Registered
240 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
I just had my intake off this past weekend. I have an 03' and the EGR ports were actually really clean.

You need to take the entire intake off as the port leads all the way to the valve.

Google pilot or oddessey 3.5 EGR port cleaning:

If your EGR ports are that bad, I would assume the insufficient flow code would appear. Although maybe some of them are clogged?

Matt

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I feel like I’ll need the valves adjusted too but will start with the simplest first egr port cleaning, thx for the posts...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just had my intake off this past weekend. I have an 03' and the EGR ports were actually really clean.

You need to take the entire intake off as the port leads all the way to the valve.

Google pilot or oddessey 3.5 EGR port cleaning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4R0g9XME8p0

If your EGR ports are that bad, I would assume the insufficient flow code would appear. Although maybe some of them are clogged?

Matt

Yes I would think I would get the insufficient flow code too but hoping just a few as well and maybe that’s the problem....

I have a 2005 mdx , you can feel when driving it at times it’s sluggish, starts poorly when slightly warm., cold starts usually the best..., mpg getting worse..., highway is tough to get more than 18.5 use to be 22-23 a few years ago..., city is like 14-15 vs 17ish few years ago...., using 91 octane ethanol free gas in it...

·
Registered
240 Posts
If you have an 05, the EGR ports are likely to be OK. They went through a redesign in 03 that fixed a problem common to the 01-02 models (the video above shows the old style, for example; your intake is likely to be much cleaner). Here's a good image of them side by side for comparison: http://www.mdxers.org/forums/18-maintenance/25024-how-does-oil-get-here-6.html#post457882

In addition to adjusting the valves like you already mentioned (a very good idea; time consuming, but if it's never been done on your vehicle then some of them have almost certainly tightened up), another very simple thing to inspect/replace is the PCV valve. Maybe it's sticking/stuck open, which I think can cause symptoms like yours. It's really easy (and cheap) to replace on these engines. http://www.mdxers.org/forums/73-first-generation-mdx-2001-2006/45732-pcv-valve-diy-pics.html

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you have an 05, the EGR ports are likely to be OK. They went through a redesign in 03 that fixed a problem common to the 01-02 models (the video above shows the old style, for example; your intake is likely to be much cleaner). Here's a good image of them side by side for comparison: http://www.mdxers.org/forums/18-maintenance/25024-how-does-oil-get-here-6.html#post457882

In addition to adjusting the valves like you already mentioned (a very good idea; time consuming, but if it's never been done on your vehicle then some of them have almost certainly tightened up), another very simple thing to inspect/replace is the PCV valve. Maybe it's sticking/stuck open, which I think can cause symptoms like yours. It's really easy (and cheap) to replace on these engines. http://www.mdxers.org/forums/73-first-generation-mdx-2001-2006/45732-pcv-valve-diy-pics.html

I forgot to mentioned I’ve done plugs already, PCV valve, and MAP sensor ..., also cleaned throttle body last year..., no change...

·
Registered
9 Posts
there are like 10 videos on U tube how to clean the ERG port. I took mine out and was going to clean it but decided to spend $83 to replace it to a new one and glad I did because now I am getting 21.3 mpg and before I was getting 9-12mpg. Just change it out completely.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Are you getting a check engine light? If so, get the codes. Before anything else I would do a valve adjustment.
Another possibility, rare on these engines, is the engine coolant temperature sensor.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
there are like 10 videos on U tube how to clean the ERG port. I took mine out and was going to clean it but decided to spend $83 to replace it to a new one and glad I did because now I am getting 21.3 mpg and before I was getting 9-12mpg. Just change it out completely.

They replaced the port from EGR side to intake manifold for 83$ ??? That seems VERY cheap indeed!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts