Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have 2016 Acura Mdx (Silver color). Recently, while parking in office, my car was hit other car and there was a little scratch of about 1inch wide. I don't want to go thru my insurance and also thru body shop. Is there any way that we can cover the paint in a cheaper way. Any adivse or suggestions?

thank you in advance.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My wife's '14 was scraped in a parking lot by someone backing out, they put a 1" or so wide and 3" long scrape in the drivers side rear bumper. My wife's MDX was silver also, the bad part is the plastic underneath is black so it really showed, I got a spray can of matched paint from an autobody shop, it was around $25, cleaned it well, masked it off and blended it in with about 3 light coats then used a light compound to smooth it out. Came out pretty well, you could see it if you looked hard and I saw it every time but it looked much better than the big black mark that was there.

·
Registered
394 Posts
any pics of the scratch?

depends on the scratch: is it just the clear coat; just s scuff? Or is it deep; pass the clear coat, past the paint?

rub your finger against it to feel if there's void in the paint 'V' or not. If there is one. you will have to get touch up paint from the dealer to match your car and fill that void of missing paint till you get it beyond smoothness. then you can use wet sanding or buff it out so it's much smoother to the touch with compound.

NOTE: when youre filling the void in the pain. ensure each coat of paint applied is fully dried. that way the pain will build on top of each other to add depth and not just soak away when multiple coats are added without fully drying. Use toothpicks, too, in order to help get into the tiny crevasses.

there are many videos on the youtube thatll give you a better perspective on the amount of work required to fix it yourself.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Sadly, the truth is most people will not be OK with the results of touch up. Small rock chips filled in is usually OK, but anything larger will still usually get your attention. BUT, start cheap and work your way up. All I can say is that usually a scratch, being elongated, doesn't fill quite nicely. It takes time to fill, lots of patience while you wait for curing, and fine motor control to prevent a goopy look.

I usually use plastic toothpicks to fill in scratches or nicks, let it cure, clean it up, and repeat a few times until it fills in the depth of the damage. After that, clear coat and wait for cure. All the while, I usually recommend stick it in the garage to prevent dirt and dust from collecting in your recent work.

Do I still see it after? Yep. Just doesn't stick out like sore thumb. And just remember that most people will view your car from a 3ft away or more. But it will always be in the back of your mind lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts