Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning on trading in my MDX within the next 7 days. Of course I hit 15% oil life today which triggers a B13 code. Vehicle has 97,600 miles. At least it wasn't the big one that's coming next.

I've never traded in a vehicle when buying another (cars usually stay within extended family), so I'm not sure how picky the dealer is on trade-ins. I was going to get it appraised by Carmax and my Acura dealer which are next door to Land Rover to have quotes before trading it in. Fortunately Florida allows for tax savings with trade-ins.

Is it worth getting the service done while I'm getting it appraised, or will it not make a huge deal? I'm trying not to give anybody a reason to low ball me with the appraisal, but I also would hate to spend $200+ one week before I trade a car in if I don't have to.

Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
you can erase the code yourself and leave a note in the glove box telling the next owner that atf and transfer fluid is due, i guess.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Look up in advance, how much the trade in value is, in the Blackbook.
This book lets dealers know how much cars were auctioned for in their state.
Your 2008 MDX w/tech and 97,500 miles has a recent auction value of:

clean = $18,190
average= $16,141
rough = $12,375

To get to the blackbook site you need to:
www dot cudlautosmart dot com
research tab
scroll down and click on the BlackBook icon

Remember, if a dealer wanted the car that you have, they could go to an auction and get it for the above mentioned prices or less.
With that in mind, they will offer you about $1,000 less than auction value and make you negotiate up to the auction value.

The blackbook site also shows dealer used car prices and they will resale your MDX if:
clean = $21,200
average = $18,875
rough = $15,625

Consider selling it here on mdxers dot org classified site or autotrader dot com, for about $1,000 more than the dealer offers you.

When you sell it to a private party, get you sale notarized, then take that invoice to the Florida DMV when you buy a replacement car. You won't have to pay as much tax on the your new car.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
If you're dead-set trading, I'd change the oil for $30 and reset the light. It won't make a huge difference on trade but someone else can worry about it. If the next buyer is super anal about service, they'll probably change the fluids on their own anyway.

·
Registered
336 Posts
What Skinny2 said. Or just reset the light and let it be. My guess is that the dealer would change the oil before selling anyway. You know, part of the 122-point inspection or whatever.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice everyone. I will do the oil change, get the tires rotated for free at local tire place, and reset the light and let it be.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts