Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm new to board and considering purchasing a 2014 MDX with 70k on clock. Are there any major maintanance issues at or around 70k, that need to be considered? Anything I should or need to know about MDXs with that kind of mileage? It's sort of a broad open ended question because I'm just starting my MDX research. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I have a 2014 MDX but with only half that mileage. It's not had anything go wrong with it and I really enjoy driving it. These days for most vehicles 70K isn't a great deal of mileage since most vehicles are quite reliable nowadays. A 2014 with 70K miles isn't unheard of but that's fairly high mileage for a 2014 - higher than average. You can find a lot of 2014s with lower miles than that but of course they'll typically cost more than a higher mileage one.

I think the timing belt will need to be replaced at 105K or thereabouts and you should replace the water pump along with it then. The plugs will need to be replaced then also. You'd be facing that in 35K miles so consider that in the extended budget.

A couple of things -

- Do an extensive test drive in the vehicle with the radio off and pay attention to any weird noises, thumps, rattles, etc.

- Check all the body panels for alignment. Some had issues with poor panel alignment from teh factory.

- Check underneath and make sure it all looks decent and appears to not have been in an accident.

- If this is an AWD model make sure the spare's there along with the tire changing tools.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Be aware the the basic warranty runs for 4 years/50K miles and the powertrain warranty runs for 6 years/70K miles. You will have no original coverage, so factor that into the price you pay. It could be a killer if a big item goes out on you.

I would also insist that the vehicle have service records.

Also, pull a Carfax for accident history.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Be aware the the basic warranty runs for 4 years/50K miles and the powertrain warranty runs for 6 years/70K miles. You will have no original coverage, so factor that into the price you pay.
There's definitely some value in having some factory warranty left in the odd case some big ticket item fails on this vehicle where you don't know the prior history. You should consider getting a lower mileage one that hasn't hit the factory limit yet - especially the powertrain limit - either that or if you're buying this from an Acura dealership, see about them extending the warranty period to get you about a year of warranty.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts