Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok my car is gonna be built a few days after New Years, perhaps Middle of Jan, can't tell for sure. Anyway the dealership was gonna call me in to finish off the paperwork and what not a few days before delivery. But I wanted to go before that and negotiate some more with them. I wanna tell them look, i know very well you are making 4K profit off me already by selling MSRP, even though I got no accessories at all. So either gimme a wood steering wheel for free, or an incredible lease rate (low money factor). Do u think I should just go unannounced and talk to service manager asap?

·
Registered
738 Posts
ndahbar said:
Ok my car is gonna be built a few days after New Years, perhaps Middle of Jan, can't tell for sure. Anyway the dealership was gonna call me in to finish off the paperwork and what not a few days before delivery. But I wanted to go before that and negotiate some more with them. I wanna tell them look, i know very well you are making 4K profit off me already by selling MSRP, even though I got no accessories at all. So either gimme a wood steering wheel for free, or an incredible lease rate (low money factor). Do u think I should just go unannounced and talk to service manager asap?
Supply and demand. How many 03's does your dealer, and other dealers in the area have on the lot? Somebody renegged on their order at my dealer, I called and took delivery of it within 2 hours, and it was only on the lot for 4 hours. There were none-zero-nada in my color/model combination within 1,000 miles. During the last 3 weeks I see what appears to be the same 5 MDX on the dealer lot. It all depends on whether your dealer feels it can sell the vehicle to someone else immediately without a request for freebies. It doesn't hurt to ask, but you shouldn't ask unless you are willing to call their bluff. I would not go in early. It would give them more time to sell the car to somebody else if you decided not to buy on their terms. You have the upper hand if you wait until they call you to fill out the paperwork, which I wouldn't even do until you inspect and test drive the vehicle. They will be motivated to take care of satisfaction issues before you take sign the papers.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Agreed. Ask for them before you complete the satisfaction survey.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Agreed that you should wait for them to call. If you want something thrown in then your best bet is once they have it on the lot, and expected that it would be paid for asap. They may throw something in to get it sold and off the lot. They have no reason to throw anything in if it is weeks before delivery.

The caution is that the MDX is in demand. I'm in Vancouver, Canada and while none of the dealers ask for more than MSRP, and I'm not aware of any that force extras, they have no reason to sell for less. If one customer walks away from the sale then the MDX will be snapped up immediately. So doesn't hurt to ask, but don't get too greedy.

It also helps if you have a reason to support asking for something. The reason can be minor.... slightly late delivery for example or anything that happens that is not as promised. Anything to give you (and them) some rationale for it not being a complete giveaway. You may feel they owe you for making $4K profit, but they won't see it that way. They make the same profit off everyone.

Good luck.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice. Sounds good, I will wait.

Well in Boston I think the demand is very high, and they didn't have a 03 to test drive. They had 2 in the showroom, one already sold, that's it. They sold to me for MSRP and no forced options at all. They said if I wanted w/o Nav I could have it end of Nov, but with Nav gotta wait till Jan sometime, depending on build date.

So, yes the general manager did tell me on the phone a month ago, after I argued with him about the quoted money factor, he says "Look you know, I can go sell this to anyone for more than you're asking, overall, but since you obviously seemed informed of the details, yeah, I'm willing to lower the money factor, but anyway let's not talk about it now cuz your car needs 5-6 weeks to come anyway so the numbers will change. Also you are undecided on length of lease, that affects what I can give you for m. factor too". I said ok fine.

Ayyight, so far I just signed on that 1 paper, the factory order, they just listed car MSRP, that's it. Took deposit. So, perhaps I can go in when they call me a few days before delivery and say:

1. I wanna speak to general manager
2. Look Mr. General Manager, I know this thing is in hot demand, but given that I'm a first time customer of yours, I never completed a survey or anything, the economy isn't so great, I know the invoice price of car AND the holdback stuff, I'm just looking to get a deal where I feel I did well.
3. Here (show him print outs of rates others got on this forum and elsewhere) are what I think are good deals. We are talking apples to apples sir, cuz I am just doing car @ MSRP, no access. and no trade.
4. Give me a money factor such as X.XXXX, or if u can't, throw in something nice for me for free like accessories XXX and XXX.

4. If he says NO and NO, I will say come on, do your very best, look I know the entire details about this and that and this.

5. The least he'll do is lower the lease rate for me from what they plan on doing.

6. Survey is a nice thing to get em by the b*lls.

A decent money factor and free wood steering wheel would be nice. :D

·
Registered
319 Posts
ndahbar said:
A decent money factor and free wood steering wheel would be nice. :D
The wood wheel is a pricey option for them to throw in for free, plus there's the service time involved with the installation. More likely they'd go for a free cargo mat or wheel locks. Good Luck!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Let me play devil's advocate here, I'll be the general manager.
1. Here is the car you want.
2. Here is the price.
3. If you do not want to pay my price, I have 10 people on a list that will run in and buy it. ( which is true here in Mass.)
4. Getting the best deal for my dealership and its employees is most important to me, I want to make you happy, but you must understand that for every MDX I get to sell, I don't get 6.
5. What do you get out of it? Only an opportunity to own the best quality SUV for the money on the market.

The folks at Boston Acura in Brighton told me that there was no negotiation on the MDX, if I wanted to by an RL, it was a different story. My husband has been in sales for years, and we are always looking for a deal, this is the first time we ran into a true supply vs. demand situation.
In any case, you will love your new MDX, and good luck. C:)

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
It is NOT a "true supply & demand" situation...

...because Acura has had supply problems.

While the dealers in many areas could have sold more MDXs, there WERE delays with the Navi units and even some delays due to West Coast Ports.

When folks who have been WAITING for Navi units get "caught up" there is much better chance for "a deal".

·
Registered
126 Posts
Re: It is NOT a "true supply & demand" situation...

renov8r said:
...because Acura has had supply problems.

While the dealers in many areas could have sold more MDXs, there WERE delays with the Navi units and even some delays due to West Coast Ports.

When folks who have been WAITING for Navi units get "caught up" there is much better chance for "a deal".
Please tell me then, back in September, when I was on the lot in Nashua NH and they had 10 on the lot, all sold. I was told I had to get on a waiting list, and maybe one would come in October (that a deal would fall through on), and if I missed October, I would have to wait for an '03, and pay more? If that is not supply and demand, I don't know what is :rolleyes: :rolleyes: C

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Caroline, thanks for the comments.

Yeah of course there is no negotiation on the 'X. But there is with the money factor since I will lease. I will make sure to get the base Acura rate and tell them the diff between that and what they "initially' quote me. =)

As for accessories, what the hell, I'll ask for at least like a cargo mat or something for free. Steering wheel may be far fetched idea it seems, no matter HOW much I show them that I know ALL the details and numbers. :(

·
Registered
126 Posts
OK, try for a cargo cover and a cargo mat, that is what Clair Acura gave us. ( we bought ours) Be prepared for insurance shock if you live in Mass, my insurance went up 450.00 and that was a kicker. If you run into dealer problems, let me know, we had good relations with the Clair dealer. best of luck, you will love this vehicle. It is the car I've owned since my first car (a used 1974 Datsun 240z still in storage), that I've taken pictures of, and clean daily and have waxed the interior to protect from scratches, drives almost as nice as an X5, has more room, and is less expensive. You will be amazed!:) :4: C

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sweet

Thanks,

Shouldn't have dealer problems though, I already spoke to sales manager and he knows who I am and what i know. ;-) I'll print out a bunch of stuff to show him what others have gotten, heheh.

Yeah X5 is a sweeeet ride. I had a 4.4 last summer for a few months at it was awesome. Drank fuel like there is no tomorrow though. Crappy cargo area though with 2nd row up. But the most impressive are the brakes (you should see that engine in a 540, OMG).

I'm getting 2003 so I hope my impression is even better than yours!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Supply and Demand

I don't get your point renov8r. There is more demand for the MDX than Acura supplies. Who cares whether the lack of supply is due to West Coast ports, too few navis or Acura simply choosing to make fewer units in order to keep demand high. The result of lack of supply is higher prices.

As for catching up to the demand, I think those taking delivery now ordered their MDX in Sept/Oct. Those putting in orders now are looking at March delivery. Acura will catch up with the orders in about July, when the new orders slow down as the new model year approachs. That happened this year (I was ready to buy in July but delayed to wait for a 2003, many others on the board made the same decision).

So I don't get this "true supply and demand" bit. How many other cars do you have to order months ahead, and while that will eventually change, it is wishful thinking that the supply will increase this model year.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I was really responding to something that has not been discussed lately...

...Honda is NOTORIOUS for throttling the supply of vehicles.

While not quite as blatant as say BMW in "underproducing" M cars, Honda has traditionally been biased against having dealers having a "full lot".

There were signs that the whines of Acura dealers had caused the factory to relent, and lots were FULL in the early fall. Honda's delivery problems caused SHORTAGES, that are only now being resolved.

IN 01 & 02 I believe demand remained strong for <u>all models</u> until the very end of the 02 model run -- now the ONLY model that seems in short supply are the NAVI equipped Touring models.

And, as there are no restrictions on Navi allocation, it must mean that the factory simply did not acurately project how many Navi units they'd need.

My mistake was in saying it was not the TRADITONAL Honda style manipulated supply problem...

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There is one

There IS a restriction on Nav-equipped MDX allocation. See the previous posts by Jamie Stockman I think, and others. It's not as restricted as Nav + RES, but is nonetheless.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Why then, here in New England, were the lots full of RL and CL and other sedans, and the Acura dealership told me that we could "get a break" on the sedans, but no way no how on the X ?? C

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I guess CLs, TLs etc with NAV are plentiful, not as hot. And they make a lot more of those than they do MDX. I guess it's gotta be that simple. I mean the MDX is in it's 3rd year of production so no need to have the manufacturer treat it like a BMW M3 or something.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts