Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put my $500 deposit on an '03 MDX/touring today, 1st color choice taffeta/saddle, 2nd choice sandstone/saddle. I'm thinking I'll let fate decide and buy whichever one comes available first. Paying MSRP w/ no forced options, but I will be adding a few anyway. MY QUESTIONS ARE: 1) Which wood shifter goes best with the wood trim elsewhere in the car? 2) Would the wood meter trim be overkill? My husband thinks that would be too much wood. 3) Should I get the moonroof deflector to cut down on wind noise when the moonroof is open? I don't think I'd pick it for looks. 4) While we're at it, which color do you think would be better and WHY?

Thanks for taking the time to help me! I've been reading your posts for months, and I've learned an awful lot about MDX's from all of you!

Kathy

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Kathy,

Welcome to acuramdx.org! We hope your wait will be a relatively short one.

I'll take a stab at some of your questions.

In the past, the burlwood shift knob seems to match or at least complement the trim somewhat better. However, the 2003's have some slightly modified fake wood trim, so that may require re-evaluation. Hopefully as members here get their 2003's we'll get a better idea. It's hard to judge the tone of the new fake wood trim on-line.

The wood meter trim would not be overkill, in my opinion. The gauge cluster is actually fairly plain and it will not overdo it. Some of those aftermarket wood trim kits that put a piece on a dozen or so assorted parts, you might find overkill.

The moonroof deflector does help reduce noise when the moonroof is open.

Color choices are so subjective, that it's best to think about what you want to look at every day, as you get into your vehicle, look over its head, and walk away from the vehicle.

The accessories you've mentioned can be purchased at a significant discount from hondacuraworld.com. Installing the shift knob is extremely easy. The wood meter trim basically requires one to clean the area before applying, and stick it on with some care. And the moonroof deflector takes a little bit more but is also relatively simple.

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
IMHO,

1. Burlwood shift knob.

2. No, I think the meter trim is a nice accent. A finishing touch.

3. Yes. I noticed a significant reduction in wind noise.

4. I'm Biased, I'd say SS, however, based on your two options you stated, I'd take the sandstone/saddle. Just personal preference derived from functionality (hiding dirt), to aesthetics.

Hope this helped!:)

·
Registered
738 Posts
I agree that the moonroof deflector cuts down noise, but the trade-off is less un-encumbered visibility. People complain that the moonroof is too small as it is, removing even a couple of inches reduces the sense of openess a moonroof is supposed to provide, and in the section most critical to the driver, the forward section. This is the reason I have removed deflectors my previous vehicles. Others don't seem to mind, but it makes sense to drive without it first, and then you can compare when you add it, to see if the benefit is worth the cost in visibility reduction. Many people have it installed with their purchase, so they wouldn't have a frame of reference.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Wood..

Since you guys are talking about wood ... :D

Would it look awkward if i get the mahogany knob + wood meter trim kit only ( without the wood steering wheel) ? I want to know if there's a "rule of thumb" or a more popular trend in matching accessories..?

I guess it's like making sure your outfit matches...can't have striped shirt with plaid pants if ya know what i mean! :)

·
Registered
449 Posts
1. The burlwood shiftknob, I think is the best match for the wood trim. According to Tim at Hondacuraworld, he doesn't even sell the mahogany because it does not match any wood trim in the car. But like others said, with the new trim perhaps the mahogany shift knob would match.

2. I think the wood trim panel would be a nice touch. I got the burlwood shift knob and forgot to order the trim panel. I am now in the process of correcting that error.

3. The sunroof visor does help to block out some of the wind coming through the sunroof. The visor also help to block some of the sun with the roof open, for some that is good and not good for others. It is all up to you.

4. Color wise, I am more partial to White. I think white looks very nice. White is actually very good at hiding dirt, I had a white BMW before and it looked clean all the time. Hides water spots, swirls, dust, etc.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Florida?

White! Highest resitance to paint fade. Though sandstone should be better than MBP or NBP, it still has more metal flake than taffeta pearl, and the sun always makes the metallics take a beating

The meter panel trim is just more "plood", I'm more a fan of metal or other 'real & honest' trim...

The shift knob is wood, though I would want to see both choices in the flesh, as the plood trim has changed for 03.

I'm going to give the deflector a 'thumbs down', mostly for aesthics -- it does cut into the visible 'sky' & it looks like something form the 80's from the exterior. Ugh.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Since we are on the topic of purchase advice, I would welcome any comments about my strategy. I will definitely buy an 03 Touring with Navi but am not that urgent to get in by November or December which I understand is the delivery date for one ordered today. I am thinking of buying one in January for several reasons. One is the well know fact that no one buys cars over Xmas and January is often a slow month so dealers are more eager. Also, by January, hopefully I can compare the colors since they will likely have some on their lots. I'm in upstate NY so MDXs are moving as fast as other places so there is a good chance they may have some on their lot.

Did anyone tried this January stratgey for their 02s and did they get any breaks in the prices -- or at least get some accessories thrown in?

·
Registered
449 Posts
namegoeshere said:
Since we are on the topic of purchase advice, I would welcome any comments about my strategy. I will definitely buy an 03 Touring with Navi but am not that urgent to get in by November or December which I understand is the delivery date for one ordered today. I am thinking of buying one in January for several reasons. One is the well know fact that no one buys cars over Xmas and January is often a slow month so dealers are more eager. Also, by January, hopefully I can compare the colors since they will likely have some on their lots. I'm in upstate NY so MDXs are moving as fast as other places so there is a good chance they may have some on their lot.

Did anyone tried this January stratgey for their 02s and did they get any breaks in the prices -- or at least get some accessories thrown in?
Base on my previous experiences. Dec. through Feb. are usually good time for buying cars. However, for cars that are in high demand, it does not matter at all. As the allocations are always sold months in advance, so it will not matter when you make the purchase. As you are in upstate NY, try going to Hondacuraworld, the parts manager Tim is a moderator here. Maybe he can help you with a deal or with parts/accessories.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
This is a BIG country...

And 49000 MDXs don't go very far...

I really doubt that there will be many unsold MDXs unless something tragic happens...

Yes, you will probably get a chance to SEE the new color combinations, but I'm guessing those MDXs will more than likely have big SOLD stickers on 'em too.

If you NEED a vehicle by January I think you may have to order two-three months ahead, and I've generally been a optmistic about supply. The thing that shapes my thinking more than ever is the continuos stream of new MDXs I constantly see everywhere around Chicago. I think this must be a top 5 market...

Don't really know how hot the MDX is other regions...

·
Registered
99 Posts
The competition is strong

I don't know what you folks think but it seems that luxury SUV constructors realized that there would be much competition in the market.

About 2 weeks ago, we saw BMW started advertising its X5 during a TV commercial break. And TODAY, Acura does the same on the website of CBSMarketWatch.com.

Viva competition. Hope that consumers could negociate better for their loved car.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everybody! A question for Brando:

Thanks to everyone for your speedy responses to my questions. I've been leaning toward white for the obvious reasons, and I'll probably stick with that decision. I have a question for BRANDO: Thanks for the awesome pic of your MDX - it looks great! How do you like the side trim pieces? The dealer here discouraged me from getting them, basically intimating that they were just glued on and would fall off! But I think they look good! What's your take on the subject? I saw a redrock MDX with side trim and pinstriping yesterday and it looked pretty good!
Also for anyone else: I'd like to tint the front windows as dark as the back, but how dark is that exactly????

You guys are really great, very supportive and encouraging. Are there any more women in here, or are you all a bunch of guys from NY and SF? teehee ;) ;)

·
Registered
216 Posts
truthly i think there are more girls who drive "X"'s ... hey that would make a good polliing question ... if it hasnt been done already ...

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Hi Kgbmom:

___As far as Body Side Moldings (BSM’s) are concerned, you can do a search on BSM and I am sure you will find that most here believe them to be almost a necessity.

___As for Tint, look up Paul123’s or Excalibur’s X’s in the gallery. They have pretty much explained it all and both of their vehicles look smokin hot!

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email protected]

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree with everybody that Body Side Molding (BSM) is almost a necessity. I have a pretty small garage and I always worry about my son opening the door too hard when getting out of our other car and hitting my brand new MDX. And hey they look really nice. I don't know about them falling off... I just installed them over the weekend. I think as long as you clean the surface really well (no wax), they should stick pretty good. The instruction recommended to clean the surface with isotrophyl alcohol.

I am also contemplating on tinting the front windows. I just don't know how legal it is here in California.

Good luck on you decision.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts