Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a MDX 2017 and I want to add CarPlay to it.

Witch system is better Navtool or GROM VLine2 ?

Let me know

Thank you

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
One major issue I'm having with my CarPlay in my 19 MDX with my iPhone 6S+ is IOS 13.X doesn't work properly. I keep disconnecting and resetting every 5-10 seconds. Both upper and lower screens resets Waze and iphone music constantly. CarPlay was perfect with IOS 12.X. This issue could just be my older version of iPhone and/or firmware version Acura uses for its Carplay? I don't know if there is a firmware update for Acura CarPlay?

I know others had various issues with IOS 13.X with different versions of iPhones. I would check to see if Navtool or GROM can update the firmware as needed as smartphone tech changes.

·
Registered
108 Posts
GROM is a android based system and Navtool is based on QNX software.
Both have their own advantages and disadvantages. You will be okay with any of it. I am using Navtool and have no complaints except for backup camera does not always switch on screen. I have to back out of Navtool to see backup screen. This does not happen all the time only sometimes.

One advantage for GROM unit is since its android based. You may be able to use wireless CarPlay using Carlinkit usb dongle.

In my other car I have an android head unit and am using wireless CarPlay dongle. Its convenient because sometime I forget to take the phone out of my pocket but Carplay is still usable on cars head unit. Of course you tend to use more battery of the phone. For short drives its fine. But for longer drives its going to drain phones battery.

I say which ever is cheap get that.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don’t have navtool yet I contact them regarding that issue and they said it’s fix

·
Registered
108 Posts
It looks like the bug is not fixed yet. It seems they are working on it as of 10/30/2019.
The response that they give you is consistent with their usual online support :) if you get my drift.;)

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Ditto very interested in the GROM unit and how it performs. Also interested in their quality of customer service since Navtool is notoriously bad.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Ditto very interested in the GROM unit and how it performs. Also interested in their quality of customer service since Navtool is notoriously bad.
I have not used Grom for my MDX, but I have it installed in my 05 M3. The quality is solid and customer service is great. I had many questions during the install and they were quick in answering and helping. I accidentally cut the wiring harness and they shipped one out without any charges. Hopefully they have not changed over the years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have not used Grom for my MDX, but I have it installed in my 05 M3. The quality is solid and customer service is great. I had many questions during the install and they were quick in answering and helping. I accidentally cut the wiring harness and they shipped one out without any charges. Hopefully they have not changed over the years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’m very impressed with their customer service . By the end of the year I will pull the trigger on a vline2 .

·
Registered
108 Posts
One thing I noticed why are they not showing full installation on their YouTube video
? I mean wiring of the actual unit itself. I am concerned if its not really a plug and play device!.
Original Navtool unit with out carplay was although they said its Plug and play but Couple of wires needed to be spliced.
However their newer Navtool Carplay unit is fully plug and play.
Something to get clarified before buying vline from their support.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Okay, it's early and I've had one cup of coffee, so please be patient with this old fart.

LOML has a 2016 MDX SHX that she loves, except it doesn't have navigation. She keeps looking at the NAV in my '05 Pilot and sighing wistfully so I'm thinking of adding one to her car and the GROM seems to be the unit to have.

We are Android people if that makes any difference, no carplay for us. One thing to note is LOML is exceedingly technically challenged. If she has to do anything more than start the car for the thing to come on, it's not going to get used. Seriously. As often as not, she doesn't even bring her phone with her when she leaves the house.

So, a couple of questions to those who might know:

1) The website indicates that the unit needs both wifi and bluetooth to provide realtime nav and music streaming. Most Android auto systems I've used (I rent a goodly number of cars for travel) require a USB connection. Does the GROM support a USB connection and would that take the place of the wifi and bluetooth connectivity?
2) Would someone please walk through the entire sequence of getting in the car and connecting (wired or wirelessly) to the unit?
3) Can the thing be used in a standalone mode (without a phone)? I realize that Google maps can be used offline if you download maps, but you have to refresh those from time to time, and thus we have the technical issues. There are a couple of offline GPS apps that I've used in the past with success. Could one of those be used?
4) If used offline, can you listen to the radio and hear the map directions?

Thanks a lot for the help. The unit is a bit pricey and I want to do my due diligence before pulling the trigger so that LOML will actually use the system.

·
Registered
12 Posts
One major issue I'm having with my CarPlay in my 19 MDX with my iPhone 6S+ is IOS 13.X doesn't work properly. I keep disconnecting and resetting every 5-10 seconds. Both upper and lower screens resets Waze and iphone music constantly. CarPlay was perfect with IOS 12.X. This issue could just be my older version of iPhone and/or firmware version Acura uses for its Carplay? I don't know if there is a firmware update for Acura CarPlay?

I know others had various issues with IOS 13.X with different versions of iPhones. I would check to see if Navtool or GROM can update the firmware as needed as smartphone tech changes.
I've had zero issues with CarPlay with the most recent iOS update with my 2019 MDX Sport. iPhone 8

1 - 19 of 19 Posts