Sorry for hijacking your thread again, but since I have not finalized my installation, I haven't created mine yet.
My updates so far on the 2008 MDX Tech: unit connected to the navigation drive under the driver's seat using the splitter provided in the package.
1) To my disappointment and despite the unit is claimed to be plug-and-play, it is not, in fact, the case. There were still two wires to be connected: red to accessory and black to ground. Like really? A $700 box which is not completely plug-and-play? The least they could do is provide extra wiring, because the wires there are now are like 25 cm long, there's no way you can get to ACC and ground with that.
2) Audio output from the unit is female RCA based, meaning in order to connect it to my Tech with Entertainment, I would need two male to male RCA adapters, which are, of course, not provided in the package (ugh, again not something I expected for seven hundred bucks). Will have to dig up those somewhere in any of the wire boxes I have. Or order online. This is fixable.
3) The image is a bit fuzzy, although it's not the unit's fault, of course, but the outdated MDX's screen. Still the text is legible and the image is decent.
4) The operation using factory knob is not exactly as snappy as in some newer cars I've had experience with CarPlay with. I also don't think it's the unit's fault, as the infotainment for the 2008 model is outdated and, of course, adds a bit of lag to the input that the unit has to process.
5) Some of the things operate weirdly. E.g. cancel button acts normally when in an app (it just jumps back to the screen from where you can choose other apps), but it doesn't function as a go back one screen button within apps themselves - I have to use the knob to operate within the app. I guess it's just a matter of getting used to. Another example is when navigating in Waze or Maps and using panning, the knob controls are reversed: you press down to go up and you press left to go right, etc.
6) Rear camera does not turn on in reverse when CarPlay is on. I have to exit the carplay and go back to the factory interface to get the camera back on. I sincerely hope this is a matter of settings in the unit. Otherwise I have to press and hold Cancel every time I'm in CarPlay screen and need to reverse? May I remind this is a $700 unit?
It is amazing when output to MDX's screen!