Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Ok, good to know. I kind of suspected the steering wheel track button because of the AUX.

Question: can you turn on the Sirius/XM on your car's stereo and listen to it while turning on the Apple Car play at the same time for navigation, for example?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Question: can you turn on the Sirius/XM on your car's stereo and listen to it while turning on the Apple Car play at the same time for navigation, for example?
Yes but you can only listen to one source at a time, so if you are listening to XM, you will not be able to hear navigation prompts from Car Play.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Yes but you can only listen to one source at a time, so if you are listening to XM, you will not be able to hear navigation prompts from Car Play.
Perfect, thanks! I don't use navigation prompts, only alerts. Thankfully, I can output those to the smartphone spearker using Waze settings.

·
Registered
922 Posts
tecknocrat
Sorry for hijacking your thread again, but since I have not finalized my installation, I haven't created mine yet.

My updates so far on the 2008 MDX Tech: unit connected to the navigation drive under the driver's seat using the splitter provided in the package.

Cons:

1) To my disappointment and despite the unit is claimed to be plug-and-play, it is not, in fact, the case. There were still two wires to be connected: red to accessory and black to ground. Like really? A $700 box which is not completely plug-and-play? The least they could do is provide extra wiring, because the wires there are now are like 25 cm long, there's no way you can get to ACC and ground with that.
2) Audio output from the unit is female RCA based, meaning in order to connect it to my Tech with Entertainment, I would need two male to male RCA adapters, which are, of course, not provided in the package (ugh, again not something I expected for seven hundred bucks). Will have to dig up those somewhere in any of the wire boxes I have. Or order online. This is fixable.
3) The image is a bit fuzzy, although it's not the unit's fault, of course, but the outdated MDX's screen. Still the text is legible and the image is decent.
4) The operation using factory knob is not exactly as snappy as in some newer cars I've had experience with CarPlay with. I also don't think it's the unit's fault, as the infotainment for the 2008 model is outdated and, of course, adds a bit of lag to the input that the unit has to process.
5) Some of the things operate weirdly. E.g. cancel button acts normally when in an app (it just jumps back to the screen from where you can choose other apps), but it doesn't function as a go back one screen button within apps themselves - I have to use the knob to operate within the app. I guess it's just a matter of getting used to. Another example is when navigating in Waze or Maps and using panning, the knob controls are reversed: you press down to go up and you press left to go right, etc.
6) Rear camera does not turn on in reverse when CarPlay is on. I have to exit the carplay and go back to the factory interface to get the camera back on. I sincerely hope this is a matter of settings in the unit. Otherwise I have to press and hold Cancel every time I'm in CarPlay screen and need to reverse? May I remind this is a $700 unit?

Pros:
WAZE :cool:

It is amazing when output to MDX's screen!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
tecknocrat
Sorry for hijacking your thread again, but since I have not finalized my installation, I haven't created mine yet.
Feel free to use this thread, will act as a common thread for Navtool in 2G MDX

My comments inline

[QUOTE="AcuraAddicted]
My updates so far on the 2008 MDX Tech: unit connected to the navigation drive under the driver's seat using the splitter provided in the package.

Cons:

1) To my disappointment and despite the unit is claimed to be plug-and-play, it is not, in fact, the case. There were still two wires to be connected: red to accessory and black to ground. Like really? A $700 box which is not completely plug-and-play? The least they could do is provide extra wiring, because the wires there are now are like 25 cm long, there's no way you can get to ACC and ground with that.

TK - Strange in mine it was just a matter of connecting those red and balck wires with another set of black and red but yes the documentation had not mention of this

2) Audio output from the unit is female RCA based, meaning in order to connect it to my Tech with Entertainment, I would need two male to male RCA adapters, which are, of course, not provided in the package (ugh, again not something I expected for seven hundred bucks). Will have to dig up those somewhere in any of the wire boxes I have. Or order online. This is fixable.

TK yeah same I bought it before doing the installation as it was clear from package and video

3) The image is a bit fuzzy, although it's not the unit's fault, of course, but the outdated MDX's screen. Still the text is legible and the image is decent.

TK - True its not crisp like newer systems

4) The operation using factory knob is not exactly as snappy as in some newer cars I've had experience with CarPlay with. I also don't think it's the unit's fault, as the infotainment for the 2008 model is outdated and, of course, adds a bit of lag to the input that the unit has to process.

TK - Hmm I dont find any lag

5) Some of the things operate weirdly. E.g. cancel button acts normally when in an app (it just jumps back to the screen from where you can choose other apps), but it doesn't function as a go back one screen button within apps themselves - I have to use the knob to operate within the app. I guess it's just a matter of getting used to. Another example is when navigating in Waze or Maps and using panning, the knob controls are reversed: you press down to go up and you press left to go right, etc.

TK - True, while I dont face the issues you mentioned, I do think both carplay and Android Auto are designed primarily for touch screen based units and dont provide the best experience with a dial. Zooming in map is quite cumbersome e.g.

6) Rear camera does not turn on in reverse when CarPlay is on. I have to exit the carplay and go back to the factory interface to get the camera back on. I sincerely hope this is a matter of settings in the unit. Otherwise I have to press and hold Cancel every time I'm in CarPlay screen and need to reverse? May I remind this is a $700 unit?

TK - Did you program it before installing? You have to select that your car has factory camera. It works fine in mine as it switches to reverse camera when in Reverse gear

Pros:
WAZE :cool:

It is amazing when output to MDX's screen!
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
922 Posts
TK - Strange in mine it was just a matter of connecting those red and balck wires with another set of black and red but yes the documentation had not mention of this
Interesting! Do you mean connecting the wires from the same wire loom that is connected to the unit?

TK - Hmm I dont find any lag
It is very minor for me, nothing "criminal". I'm guessing because the 2010+ has newer system (and screen), it's faster in terms of the input.

TK - True, while I dont face the issues you mentioned, I do think both carplay and Android Auto are designed primarily for touch screen based units and dont provide the best experience with a dial. Zooming in map is quite cumbersome e.g.
That makes sense.

TK - Did you program it before installing? You have to select that your car has factory camera. It works fine in mine as it switches to reverse camera when in Reverse gear
Yeah, I did. I chose the "Factory equipped rear view camera" option. I am now being told by support that I have to connect the orange wire to reverse. Ugh...

·
Registered
223 Posts
Interesting! Do you mean connecting the wires from the same wire loom that is connected to the unit?
Yes, I was actually wondering why do they need that big wiring loom when everything is same(It was 1 to 1 loom unlike others which were 1 to 2) then saw the 2 tiny wires and then the another pair on Navtool, all i had to do was connect them to get power.

Yeah, I did. I chose the "Factory equipped rear view camera" option. I am now being told by support that I have to connect the orange wire to reverse. Ugh...
Strange no such thing on mine. I guess the underseat DVD unit makes the wiring different.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Yes, I was actually wondering why do they need that big wiring loom when everything is same(It was 1 to 1 loom unlike others which were 1 to 2) then saw the 2 tiny wires and then the another pair on Navtool, all i had to do was connect them to get power.
Wait, are you saying you have some additional separate wires going from the unit itself? I don't. Just a bunch of wires sticking out of the wire loom.

Strange no such thing on mine. I guess the underseat DVD unit makes the wiring different.
Looks like it!

The complete absense of the manual is really horrible. Basically piecing together various info.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Wait, are you saying you have some additional separate wires going from the unit itself? I don't. Just a bunch of wires sticking out of the wire loom.
Just 2 wires, one pair in the loom from the unit that plugs into Navtool and one pair which sticks out from the bus type wire loom which just adds between stock connector and headunit.
The complete absense of the manual is really horrible. Basically piecing together various info.
True but for the 2.5G their YouTube video is pretty good, in absence of that, it would have been almost impossible for a non DIYer like me.

·
Registered
223 Posts
So overtime, having the the cable move over the center console to the aux port under arm rest cubby is getting a little annoying. Can someone help me on how I can get this wire connected from behind the audio to the Aux port without it being visible ?

21 - 30 of 30 Posts