1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
499 Posts
No personal experience but a general google search has more bad than good to say about it. I put an aftermarket deck in my crown vic and it has Car Play/AA, its pretty darn cool but no way would it be something that would make me change vehicles or even spend much money to add to any vehicle that didn't already need a serious audio upgrade.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did some research and Navtool seems to be a good product to get CarPlay however I wonder if there is a chance that this will not work when Apple updates carPlay next month.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Nobody to date on this forum has installed one on a 3G MDX and reported in any detail about it (especially not the model you linked, as that is new). Nobody to date on Acurazine has either. Be cautious of the accounts that say they have, as Navtool has been known to make fake accounts. While I do trust that Navtool has a working device, I have only seen Naviks work in person (I used to own one, sold it to a fellow member, who is using it happily). Issues reported from the TLX and ILX installs mostly consist of 1) needing to splice rather than being actually plug and play as advertised, 2) sometimes DOA but they will send you another unit. Other than that, I haven't seen anybody complain about anything.

For the older device, you only used one of the factory buttons to activate the Navtool (on the naviks, it is a separate button you have to stick somewhere), but using it required picking up the phone and operating it as normal. The new device you linked appears to have its own controller (see the youtube video on the product page).

I would ask NavTool to see if they will provide free updates to the software of the NavTool for when Apple does update CarPlay. So far, they have sent out updates when bugs were discovered, so I assume they will.

Personally, i would like someone to dip their feet in the water with NavTool and give us their personal opinions on the effectiveness of the device. It would certainly help to provide more options to pre-2018 3G owners looking for CP functionality. I believe they have a good product, but the accounts that speak for them always seem to get really defensive.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I can't/won't trust them based solely on the shill account nonsense. A company that employs that tactic is not trustworthy.

If there was a solution that retained the factory jog wheel, I'd consider it. But the few options I've seen all relied on extra aftermarket buttons -- no thanks.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I was looking into this as a replacement for the entire "infotainment" system of my 2008 MDX Tech, but just mirroring the phone's screen doesn't sit well with me. I'd love to put a new head unit in and be done with it, but then I have a dead/useless Nav screen staring at me...Not sure what to do.

·
Registered
190 Posts
If there was a solution that retained the factory jog wheel, I'd consider it. But the few options I've seen all relied on extra aftermarket buttons -- no thanks.
Agreed! Using a steering wheel mounted directional pad is taking five steps back. I almost heaved when I saw the video of the guy using that to click through the iPhone's home screen. Yech!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts