Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a trip computer and I want to swap it out for navigation. Is that even possible???

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
I have the full CD Changer/Nav/ RES system on my 04’ and I’m sure more people will agree with me than disagree...
Find a reputable car audio shop near you and get a nice Kenwood or Pioneer setup with navigation installed.
To answer you question directly...MAYBE.
You can check if your model has the wiring already installed by opening up BOTH the front and rear passenger side doors. Push the drivers seat all the way forward and also the seat back. Look under the front passenger seat from the back seat floor and see if the wiring is already installed. Under the front passenger seat is the location where the DVD-ROM drive would be housed so if you see the wiring there then your half way there (it will just be under there with nothing plugged into it)
I hear that some models have a different unit under there but it’s not the navigation unit from the NAV/RES models.
Another issue is the DVD-ROM drives are known for rusting out from being on the floor so they are really hard to source. You can find 20million dash units on EBay but the ROM is the hard part. I recently replaced mine last year with a “working” one...it works 60% of the time!!
I would choose a aftermarket unit if I were you because Acura’s NAV software is BAD (so bad I have a Garmin for navigation!) The tough part about the decision is the screen also controls the climate system fan speed and the front heat distribution settings.

·
Registered
581 Posts
+1 for just swapping out the factory radio for one with Nav if one is available. The best resource for figuring this out is www.crutchfield.com . Use the selector system under Car Audio to plug in your information and see what is offered. Just swapping the trip computer for a factory Nav unit is probably not even possible due to wire harness issues, but even if possible the factoy Nav sucked and is expensive to keep updated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a trip computer and I want to swap it out for navigation. Is that even possible???
I have the full CD Changer/Nav/ RES system on my 04’ and I’m sure more people will agree with me than disagree...
Find a reputable car audio shop near you and get a nice Kenwood or Pioneer setup with navigation installed.
To answer you question directly...MAYBE.
You can check if your model has the wiring already installed by opening up BOTH the front and rear passenger side doors. Push the drivers seat all the way forward and also the seat back. Look under the front passenger seat from the back seat floor and see if the wiring is already installed. Under the front passenger seat is the location where the DVD-ROM drive would be housed so if you see the wiring there then your half way there (it will just be under there with nothing plugged into it)
I hear that some models have a different unit under there but it’s not the navigation unit from the NAV/RES models.
Another issue is the DVD-ROM drives are known for rusting out from being on the floor so they are really hard to source. You can find 20million dash units on EBay but the ROM is the hard part. I recently replaced mine last year with a “working” one...it works 60% of the time!!
I would choose a aftermarket unit if I were you because Acura’s NAV software is BAD (so bad I have a Garmin for navigation!) The tough part about the decision is the screen also controls the climate system fan speed and the front heat distribution settings.
Thank you so much! I will see if it works I ordered a unit and will keep updated.

·
Registered
39 Posts
It is possible but it’s not worth it.
I did it to mine about 9 years ago (2001 mdx) I bought the navi screen and the changer that goes under the seat. I found a guy on eBay that was making custom looms for the mdx to make the convention plug and play. (Paid $500 for the custom wire harness and probably another 500-600 for the screen and navi player)

Recently my screen went out and I just stuck the original trip screen in. If I find a new navi to put in for a good price maybe I’ll put it back in but honestly I don’t miss it. The technology is so old compared to what u can aftermarket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
FWIW, if I was in the market to buy another MDX, I would ONLY consider one with the trip computer. It's clear that the outdated and fairly useless navigation screen just isn't worth the hassle, and the potential for problems that it introduces. There have been a LOT of threads on people dealing with trying to resurrect their A/C controls / navigation / etc. bk627 is right - the nav capability of your smartphone is light years ahead of a 1G MDX (and really, almost any new car as well, as the tech moves faster than the car companies can keep up with).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts