Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have been waiting for 2016 Pilot for a while. Now that it is available, don't really like the styling and the comfort of driver seat. Though MDX is at top of my budget, I am thinking of getting the 2016 MDX SH-AWD Base model.

My 2015 Accord has a navigation system but I still end up using Garmin GPS when I am going somewhere new. I had the same issue with 2009 MDX.

Is it worth buying the Navigation system?
Will not having integrated navigation system affect resale value of the MDX?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
That's still best answered by you trying a floor model. But i have a feeling you will be fine without the navigation. What are your primary desires for car tech?

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
You do get some extras other than the Navi comparing non acurawatch base -vs- tech:
- 15GB Hard drive for music
- 501 Watt 10 speaker dolby pro logic ELS system (compared to 432 watts 8 speakers)
- 19" tires standard
- LED puddle lights
- rear door smart entry
- GPS linked climate control
- Traffic with rerouting
- Acuralink
- HD radio
- song by voice
- MID with turn-by-turn guidance
- rain sensing wipers
- BSI
- Rear cross traffic monitor

You may only need the Navi if you travel a lot; but, the other features might be worth it and you can use them everyday. I would add the other features along with the Navi to see if the upgrade is worth it. Whatever the Navi can't cover, I have my smartphone to fill in the gaps (only about 1-3% of the time this happens).

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
^Thanks for laying out the tech differences for the OP. Hopefully that will make his decision process even easier.

As for resale, it's really hard to say whether it will significantly or not. Most of the time, it won't, but the difference between tech and base is quite a bit, so you can at least expect something close to the differential of the price to purchase used.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
This is a question you need to answer yourself. I've driven for many decades without a Nav unit and have always managed just fine. I do have the Nav unit in my 2014 MDX Tech but realistically I don't use it that much since I almost always know beforehand where I'm driving. The exception is when I'm on a long road trip where it can come in handy despite its quirky usability issues (the 2016 is better for usability than my 2014 since they addressed the most annoying points in 2015).

A cheap Garmin or a smart phone can do what the in vehicle Nav can do and some say it can do it better. The downside is that the display size on these aren't as good as the display size on the built-in unit.

The resale without the Nav will likely be impacted somewhat but it won't be impacted to the extent of what the Nav costs to begin with - i.e. no matter what way you calculate it the Nav will cost you - ex: if you paid an extra $2K for the tech and it adds $1K to the resale value it still cost you an extra $1K over the base (I just made up these numbers for illustration).

If it's a matter being at the top end of your budget I suggest either getting the base model (without Nav) or consider buying either a less expensive new vehicle or a used MDX. I don't think any vehicle is worth making a major financial stretch for.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I stream music on Pandora and also on USB drives.

I would like to have this:
- 501 Watt 10 speaker dolby pro logic ELS system (compared to 432 watts 8 speakers)

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have enjoyed my 02 touring w/o nave for quite some time, using a Magellan GPS fit lifetime traffic/maps and bluetooth. I don't see an advantage to going to built in NAV for me. When s new Magellan or Garmin model with better features is offered, that is where I would go.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I stream music on Pandora and also on USB drives.

I would like to have this:
I think you can still do pandora and stream on base and tech models. If you are on the fence, I would test drive both. I would also consider a used tech compared to a new base. Those would be closer in price.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I didn't get the Tech package, but you really should get the AcuraWatch package, it many so many safety features for around $1500 more.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If it's a matter being at the top end of your budget I suggest either getting the base model (without Nav) or consider buying either a less expensive new vehicle or a used MDX. I don't think any vehicle is worth making a major financial stretch for.
Couldn't agree more!

I was considering less expensive Pilot but I may not be able to live with it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I didn't get the Tech package, but you really should get the AcuraWatch package, it many so many safety features for around $1500 more.
That would make sense. Thanks!

You could also consider buying a used 2014 MDX with the Tech package if the 2016 base is at the top of your budget.
I looked up used 2014 w/ Technology Package, they are listed between 38k and 42k :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
BIG NO TO Nav

The nav is antiquated in the MDX. I am still using WAZE on my smartphone. On the other hand I love the rest of the Tech Package. The stereo is awesome, the lane warning stuff works great, the much maligned interface is fine for people with more that a double didget IQ.

I have a small regret that I didn't get the Accurawatch package of the ACC>

2016 MDX

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
On big disadvantage I have living in the southwest is I don't have cell data coverage for hours. I might get 3G near small towns; but, most of the time it is 2G/Edge network (mostly phone/text, no internet). The vehicle Navi/weather/traffic/XM really comes in handy in those areas.

I think you will come out ahead with the tech model (most bang for the buck) + smart phone + aftermarket Navi. Aftermarket Navi will come in handy if drive another vehicle or rental.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
The nav is antiquated in the MDX. I am still using WAZE on my smartphone. On the other hand I love the rest of the Tech Package. The stereo is awesome, the lane warning stuff works great, the much maligned interface is fine for people with more that a double didget IQ.

I have a small regret that I didn't get the Accurawatch package of the ACC>

2016 MDX
I wouldn't worry man. I got Acurawatch only because the only White/Black MDX available had it and I barely use anything but LKAS. Tech already includes most of that stuff too. I think AWP only adds like 2 or 3 things.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts