Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do people think of the Nav voice? I find it fairly annoying. The pitch/tone makes me want to take a hammer to the dashboard. Don't get me wrong, I couldn't live without it, but I'd go to great lengths to have it changed.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I don't have a problem with it. I wish I could adjust it even louder at times, it's at max now.
Maybe you just wanted a different sounding voice?
When I was threading my way home through Los Angeles, it was a lifesaver in my being able to concentrate on traffic while the Navigator voice prompts kept me in the correct lane at all times so I would not end up on the wrong road.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
DaleB said:
I don't have a problem with it. I wish I could adjust it even louder at times, it's at max now.
Ya, the voice can be hard to hear. Since it only comes through the front door speakers, I believe that we are suffering a side effect of the speaker replacement! Before switching out the rear door speakers, they were barely audible, now with the Infinities they can be heard. Purhaps this is why the navi is more difficult to hear.
It is still fine with me.

By the way, what is a freeway? Bertha (navi voice) keeps referring to this freeway or that freeway? Where I come from, we have highways! LOL

·
Registered
62 Posts
The MDX was designed in California, and while I don't have the data, based on population and popularity of the MDX and Acura in California, the largest market for Acura is probably California. Therefore the rest of the country is stuck with our term for a road with many lanes and limited access - a Freeway.

I am originally from Pennsylvania, and when I went back I was referring to "getting on the freeway", my relatives thought I was nuts (I guess like the rest of us here in California)

USA is to the world as California is to the USA. Sorry East Coast.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
One of the many good first impressions the MDX made on me was the navi voice. Yummy.:22:

The navi voice volume could use some work, though. It would be an improvement to make its volume setting relative to the music volume, rather than absolute. A handy knob setting would be useful, too, so you could change it on the fly while driving without the level of distraction currently necessary -- "navigating" through screens to get to the navi voice level isn't so hot when driving.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Hey! Don't be talkn' about that Susy Q-less that way! She can't help it. She was born that way :D

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
DaleB said:
I think she needs a proper name, like Navi Natalie, or Navi Nancy.
I just call her "Pearl" and think the voice is very pleasant. When I miss my turn she is very polite and never sounds like a nag to me.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Yeah, navi voice got our attention too! So pleasant to our ears. We call her Madonna!

·
Registered
452 Posts
She does sound a bit like a 13 year old. It would be cool to have a selection of navi voices to pick from. Most people think the voice is funny.

Chris

·
Registered
157 Posts
can't live without. Although, even with the volume at max, I sometimes have a difficult time hearing. Since the first DVD is supposed to be updated every two years, you think 2003 will bring about a new DVD from Acura in which we can choose the voice? Maybe voulme as well? I wonder if they are going to throw in the "birdeye" view. Not a necessity, but it does look way cool.

Anyone hear anything about the DVD updates?

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Originally posted by megabuck2 Maybe voulme as well?
There is a volume control in the set-up screen.

·
Registered
110 Posts
CA?

The MDX was designed in California, and while I don't have the data, based on population and popularity of the MDX and Acura in California, the largest market for Acura is probably California. Therefore the rest of the country is stuck with our term for a road with many lanes and limited access - a Freeway
The primary market for a 4WD vehicle designed to "defeat winter" (Acura's marketing materials) is California? I think not. Without New England's snow and ice, I could not justifiy that added costs (initial and maintenance) of 4WD. See synonyms below.

ex·press·way n.
A major divided highway designed for high-speed travel, having few or no intersections. Also called freeway, limited access highway, superhighway, thruway.

Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Paul123,
Yeah, I know there is a volume control but even at max, sometimes difficult to hear at freeway (highway) (expressway) speed. I sometimes wish it was a bit more louder.

Mdxpecting,
Thats what the brochure says alright. But 4wd was also desgined for offroad adventures...at least in CA, I think 90% of the SUV never see the trail. So, many of CAs buy Luxury SUVs for (1) prestige (2) sitting high (3) occassional inclimate weather and or trips to Tahoe(or to other mountain vacation spots).

It would be interesting to know what the sales volumes are for the MDX (or any 4 wheelers) between states.

Mike

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
megabuck2 said:
Paul123,
Yeah, I know there is a volume control but even at max, sometimes difficult to hear at freeway (highway) (expressway) speed. I sometimes wish it was a bit more louder.

Mdxpecting,
Thats what the brochure says alright. But 4wd was also desgined for offroad adventures...at least in CA, I think 90% of the SUV never see the trail. So, many of CAs buy Luxury SUVs for (1) prestige (2) sitting high (3) occassional inclimate weather and or trips to Tahoe(or to other mountain vacation spots).

It would be interesting to know what the sales volumes are for the MDX (or any 4 wheelers) between states.

Mike
I believe all MDX'ers are buying for the following reasons:
1. Prestige
2. Sitting High
3. Room when you have children
4. Psychologically can't deal with a minivan yet!
5. Handling in dry, wet and snow conditions.
6. Ability to carry large items home for the children.
7. Horsepower
8. Comfort, driver's room
9. Gas mileage

I don't believe anyone in New York is buying for any off-road adventures. If they wanted that they would of purchased a real off road vehicle not a luxury MDX.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
paul123 said:

I believe all MDX'ers are buying for the following reasons:
1. Prestige
2. Sitting High
3. Room when you have children
4. Psychologically can't deal with a minivan yet!
5. Handling in dry, wet and snow conditions.
6. Ability to carry large items home for the children.
7. Horsepower
8. Comfort, driver's room
9. Gas mileage

I don't believe anyone in New York is buying for any off-road adventures. If they wanted that they would of purchased a real off road vehicle not a luxury MDX.
Let's factor in some other age groups here:

3) Room when you want to take additional passengers to dinner.
4) Already had a minivan, ready for an SUV.
6) Ability to carry large items home for myself.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts