Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently changed my Navi dvd ROM under the seat because the old one stopped working.

I put in a used one off an Acura TL and it loads properly except when it gets to the Navi code screen, I can not enter the code. The touch screen is not working. I have tried unplugging the battery over night and that does not help.

I did note the last part of the part number of the DVD ROM on the Acura TL is a bit different than mine but visually they are the same and the connections are the same. Not sure if that is the problem

Any ideas?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are correct. The DVD players look the same but are not interchangeable. I got another and it has worked flawlessly. I went to my local junk yard and bought one for $30.

For what it is worth, the following parts number do work for for 2003 - 2004 mdx.

39540-S3V-406
39540-S3V-A520 or
39540-S3V-A510

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are these the same part numbers used in similar year Honda Pilots?
I am not sure but what I will tell you is don't go by the appearance and connectors. There appear to be various models being used on different Acura/Honda models that look the same and have the same connectors but do not work. For example I tried one from a 2004 Acura TL and it did not work. I was able to return it and get my money back.

I was lucky to go down to my local junk yard and they had a 2003 MDX with the dvd player still in it. I only paid $25 with a 30 day warranty. I should have done this in the first place

Sincerely

·
Registered
6 Posts
I recently purchased a friend's 2004 touring with NAV/Bose/RES. The NAV functionality is generally not there when the vehicle is cold. The warning prompt comes up but neither the touchscreen nor the NAV buttons are functional. When the warning prompt times out the screen goes dark and remains non-functional. The backup camera works fine on the screen though when in reverse. The odd time, or more commonly in temperate conditions, everything works 100%.

So I've been searching and seeing that NAV issues on these gen 1 MDXs (and other early Honda/Acura NAV systems) is very common but I haven't seen this particular problem that is intermittent and seems to be related to cold temperatures. My plan for now is to locate/pull the cable connections, inspect their condition and maybe spray some dielectric grease in there and re-fasten, see if that has any effect (for the connections to the DVD reader under the passenger seat).

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I recently purchased a friend's 2004 touring with NAV/Bose/RES. The NAV functionality is generally not there when the vehicle is cold. The warning prompt comes up but neither the touchscreen nor the NAV buttons are functional. When the warning prompt times out the screen goes dark and remains non-functional. The backup camera works fine on the screen though when in reverse. The odd time, or more commonly in temperate conditions, everything works 100%.

So I've been searching and seeing that NAV issues on these gen 1 MDXs (and other early Honda/Acura NAV systems) is very common but I haven't seen this particular problem that is intermittent and seems to be related to cold temperatures. My plan for now is to locate/pull the cable connections, inspect their condition and maybe spray some dielectric grease in there and re-fasten, see if that has any effect (for the connections to the DVD reader under the passenger seat).
Yeah that's a tough one to diagnose. I do think your idea of checking the connectors is a good one. If you are brave, you may want to take apart the dvd player and clean the lens. It is not very difficult but didn't work for me.

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-...-94/diy-how-fix-navi-disk-read-errors-873489/

Failing that, you could buy a used unit from ebay with the option to return it if it doesn't solve your issue. With all the moving parts in these dvd players they are bound to eventually fail especially considering your thecar was built over 13 years ago

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
First off most of them sold on ebay comes with the code (incidentally the one I bought did not come with a code) In the event the ebay seller does not offer the code, the acura dealer doesn't charge anything to give you the code even though my Acura technician was a bit suspicious as whether I had purchased stolen the item (even though I am a regular customer at that dealership. SMH).

But here is a website that will give you the code for free without having to convince the Acura dealer that you are not peddling stolen goods. It needs the VIN and serial number on the unit

https://radio-navicode.acura.com/

·
Registered
6 Posts
very helpful thanks.

I'm a bit leery of buying an old DVD reader off of ebay (or from local junkyard - so far no luck finding one that way). But if it comes to that I'll try it I think, likely worth the $US130 or so if I can get that functionality back. I was really concerned about being able to modulate the heater fan speed but I now think I can live without that just by adjusting the temp (which affects the fan speed). May just buy a new GPS.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here is what i did to solve my issue with the dvd problem by accident. I was changing the seats because my seats had taken punishment from the previous owner. When i bought it the dvd drive would try to boot up and go to a error screen. How ever when the seat was out i just set the dvd player upside down with the wiring still attached to it.well it was sitting there upside down i pluged the thd new seat in to the harness and turned the ignition on to make sure the power seat worked. The dvd booted right up and the gps came on. I was able to access all the features. So i shut the car off, flipped the dvd drive back over and it did not work right side up. So long story short i bolted it to the bracket and seat upside down and it has worked great every time i get in my mdx. Just something you can try that will cost no money before you order a new drive.

·
Registered
6 Posts
LOL that is hilarious. And I will try that for sure.
Yesterday I took the DVD ROM out and took it apart to clean the lens. I also sprayed the connectors with electrical contact cleaner and put some dielectric grease on each. The DVD disc looks very clean. The inside of the DVD ROM looked brand new. I carefully cleaned the lens. I wouldn't recommend inexperienced people try this as a 'floating' mechanism was removed to access the lens, and I had difficulty re-installing these parts correctly. Anyway when I put it back in under the passenger seat and re-connected it there was no change. It prompts me for the code and neither the toggle button nor the touchscreen recognize inputs.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
very helpful thanks.

I'm a bit leery of buying an old DVD reader off of ebay (or from local junkyard - so far no luck finding one that way). But if it comes to that I'll try it I think, likely worth the $US130 or so if I can get that functionality back. I was really concerned about being able to modulate the heater fan speed but I now think I can live without that just by adjusting the temp (which affects the fan speed). May just buy a new GPS.
I hear you but I guess my take is my mdx now has over 200k miles. I am already looking at possible replacements which I will do hopefully before I start having real issues with this one. So I am banking that my $25 junk yard dvd player will hold up for a year or two.

·
Registered
40 Posts
You did fantastic getting a working Nav DVD player out of the junk yard! Congratulations.

I have an Alpine refurbished unit in my MDX, now and another fresh refurb sitting in a box for if/when the current one bites the dust. They can sell for several hundred dollars, easily.

Best of Luck! I'd try and snag another deal like the one you got.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It is funny and intresting for sure but it worked. What will it hurt. The things not working any way right? I wasent even trying to fix it. It just kinda happend. Who knows how long it will work for but its working now. And very well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts