Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Received a "Navigation Survey" in the mail from Acura today. It's just a few very general questions with a qualitative answer scale (very satisfied, satisfied, etc.) that I thought was poorly designed and won't help them much in any future redesigns.
However, Acura did include a laminated "quick reference card" for us Nav users. One tip on the card I was unaware of: to cancel a route - press the MENU button twice. Very nice. :4:

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
One very important point......

Did the survey ask about the SPEED OF CALCULATION / RECALCULATION of the Navi system??

IMHO, this is the only area where the Navi needs improvement.......other than that it's simply excellent and unmatched by anything out there

if there was an area for "general comments" or something maybe you could mention that the Navi takes an awfully long time to re-calulate if you made a wrong turn, to the point where sometimes it's constantly playing "catch-up" with the actual position of the vehicle, kind of like it gets into a never-ending cycle. The only solution, then is to stop and let the Navi "catch-up" with the vehicle. If they took care of this issue, it would pretty much make an otherwise excellent Navi PERFECT

·
Registered
217 Posts
While I like my Nav, it is not quite (near) perfect.

Speed of Recalc is a tough one. The DVD unit fairly fast, it is just limited by the speed of the on-baord computer. Much faster than old CD based systems

Main gripe, and a VERY BIG ONE. Where is the nationwide coverage that Acura talks about? MANY areas are not on the disc, but are mapped by NAVTECH (Company that supplies the map data). In fact buy the $39 MS Streets and Trips 2002, or any of the other CD based software for home computers, and you get better coverage. Many of these use NAVTECH data. Tells me that Acura is slow in paying NAVTECH for the data????????????????

Not "down" on the system, my area is mapped. But if they sell it as nationwide coverage, they should provide nationwide coverage!

·
Registered
19 Posts
A lot can be improved

IMHO, this is the only area where the Navi needs improvement.......other than that it's simply excellent and unmatched by anything out there
Vic, I think there are more Acura can learn from Lexus' nav besides faster recalculation such as
- touch screen on the map (Acura's touch screen is only for menu. Lexus' is on the map as well. When you asking for gas stations, the gas station signs pop up on the map. You just simply touch the gas station you want to go instead of Acura's moving joystick. To me, this is very important. To move that joystick over the target destination, takes a bit concentration which means taking away some of your concentration off the road! ),
- voice activated (will be on 2003 Lexus).

Of course, Acura has its advantages over Lexus (according to vicpai): more points of interest, making changes while the car is moving... but this is not what this thread about.

KC

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Re: quick reference card

Leader(in L.A.) said:
However, Acura did include a laminated "quick reference card" for us Nav users. One tip on the card I was unaware of: to cancel a route - press the MENU button twice. Very nice. :4:

I want one!!!!!!! I wonder if there is a way to get these cards from Acura? Any ideas Tim?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Another tip (which many of you savy Nav users are probably already aware of): touch the compass in the top right hand corner at any resolution to toggle between "fixed north" and rotating modes.

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
Ill add another to the FAQ. Touch the circle that circles your current location and it brings up the same as touching the SAT icon and you can save your current position.

·
Registered
88 Posts
i've been using mine navi for more than two year now (i have 2000TL) and had almost no problem, at least major ones :)
this system is very complicated and i expect it to make mistakes more often, but it turned out to be pretty good piece of engineering work. i'm happy with it :2:

·
Registered
608 Posts
Maybe some of you guys can put a word in for us Canucks, i.e., MAKE IT AVAILABLE HERE!

·
Registered
273 Posts
"Other Comments:" section

This is what I put in the "Other Comments section:

1. I want the option of displaying the compass in textual form: N, NE, SW, etc. (So my wife can tell me that she is driving South West on Freeway X.)

2. I would like to be able to check a WEB site to see if the latest version contains data for a particular street.

3. I would like the option of ordering the DVD using a WEB site, not my local dealership.

rflagg

·
Registered
19 Posts
Add one more item from my wish list

Add speed limit information such as when you are driving too fast on a particular street, the nav will say something like: "The speed limit here is 25 miles per hour." Of couse, it must be an option that can be turned off.

KC

·
Registered
88 Posts
the most valuable information would be to have traffic updates :) of cource, this will require some kind of connection to the internet, but this is different story.:p

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Leader(in L.A.) said:
Received a "Navigation Survey" in the mail from Acura today. It's just a few very general questions with a qualitative answer scale (very satisfied, satisfied, etc.) that I thought was poorly designed and won't help them much in any future redesigns.
Great tip Leader! I've always found it way too hard to cancel out of a trip...

I did a similar JD Powers survey about a year ago, I think they gave me a dollar. It was pretty comprehensive.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I would like a feature where you could search for the locations of nationwide chains like Home Depot, sorted by distance. If you search for Home Depot you usually get locations that are hundreds of miles away. You can also use an advanced category search, but sometimes different locations are categorized slightly differently. Please let me know if there is something I am missing.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
3D maps would be a good addition!!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Acura had me take an online survey a few months back. The questions did not seem to really help them much too. Basically for me to prioritize the existing features. the did have a few new ones to add to the list but nothing that caught my attention as a show stopper.

Basically there also was no place to write in my wants and needs.

Chris

+ I got nothing for my troubles, not even an laminated card

·
Registered
65 Posts
Re: "Other Comments:" section

rflagg said:
3. I would like the option of ordering the DVD using a WEB site, not my local dealership.

rflagg
Hey rflagg,
You do have the option of ordering the DVD on the web. Check out the OwnerLink website, register, sign-in and goto "My MDX". http://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/login.asp?brand=acura

It's a great feature!

There is also another website that you can order the DVD, that is actually located on a Honda Oddysey site. This site will actually tell you what updates are available! Good luck :2:

·
Registered
273 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
luckymichael said:
the most valuable information would be to have traffic updates :) of cource, this will require some kind of connection to the internet, but this is different story.:p

You'll have to need a LONG Cat cable. of a WiFi :)

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Here's what you do......

MDX88 said:
I would like a feature where you could search for the locations of nationwide chains like Home Depot, sorted by distance. If you search for Home Depot you usually get locations that are hundreds of miles away. You can also use an advanced category search, but sometimes different locations are categorized slightly differently. Please let me know if there is something I am missing.
Actually, CATEGORIZATION and EASE OF FINDING A POINT-OF-INTEREST is where the Acura Navi excels the most:

Do a "NAME" search under Point-of-Interest: Example put in Home Depot, it shows you the number of locations (for example it will say 288) Then you touch that and it lists all the Home Depots in distance nearest to farthest. I don't recall clearly (my 2000 3.2TL was stolen almost a year back :( ....and gosh do I miss that Navi :( ) but from what I remember there's a way to do a "distance sort" for local POIs as well. However, sometimes the same business is listed 2 or 3 times: Example: Bally Total Fitness (288 listings) ; Bally Fitness (could be the corporate headquarters 2,500 miles away) ; Bally's Total Fitness (10 listings - just another way SOME locations are listed)

Another very useful feature is the ADVANCED category which has so many sub-categories for pretty much anything your heart could desire: For example finding the Nearest Mortgage Brokers in your neighborhood

1 - 20 of 20 Posts