Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So lets all admit the navigation by voice is pretty dang terrible/unusable really. With that being said I have a 2015 have only had it for a month, was their ever any software upgrades to fix this at all? Is their somewhere acura posts information like this so that way users are up to date? Very new to the navigation for acura, thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
At some point it was updated. The voice recognition in my 2017 is pretty good. I’ve posted videos.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Software updates are sometimes included with the ( paid ) map update discs, but they are mostly bug fixes. Unfortunately, I think the big changes come with revised hardware in subsequent model years.

I subscribed to AcuraLink for our 2014 MDX Tech because it provides the option of using a smartphone app to find a destination, then sending it to the headunit. It's my wife's daily driver, but it drove me nuts if I tried to use the Nav for trips. I think 2015 is a little better than 2014. We also needed AcuraLink to restore live traffic display after the "complimentary" 3-year period.

A $150 stand-alone Garmin could easily provide those functions, but mounting locations are sparse and didn't pass WAF.

·
Registered
713 Posts
the 2018 nav update made many changes to my 2015 and I understand it did also to the 2014. Whether voice is there or not I don't know. You still can't add or change a destination manually while moving. It's supposed to work by voice though. We never use it that way.

·
Registered
869 Posts
the 2018 nav update made many changes to my 2015 and I understand it did also to the 2014. Whether voice is there or not I don't know. You still can't add or change a destination manually while moving. It's supposed to work by voice though. We never use it that way.
I applied the 2018 map update and associated software update to our 2014. It seems like it improved the traffic display, but AFAIK the basic functionality for inputting destinations didn't change. Voice input mainly applies to vehicle controls. You can use key words to do things you might access through the touchscreen menus, but you need to know the exact keyword and menu structure.

For destination input while moving, you have to spell words out audibly, which is incredibly distracting because it makes lots of mistakes and you have to watch what it is doing on the screen. Bad idea. Letting the copilot do it is equally distracting, IMO. Hence the current strategy of letting copilot use the AcuraLink app.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I don't mean to hijack the conversation but SGKENT can you give us some examples of how the 2018 Map update changed/improved your navigation? I have a 2015 and have contemplated doing the 2018 update but like WANDERLUST I rely on Acuralink quite a bit.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I applied the 2018 map update and associated software update to our 2014. It seems like it improved the traffic display, but AFAIK the basic functionality for inputting destinations didn't change. Voice input mainly applies to vehicle controls. You can use key words to do things you might access through the touchscreen menus, but you need to know the exact keyword and menu structure.

For destination input while moving, you have to spell words out audibly, which is incredibly distracting because it makes lots of mistakes and you have to watch what it is doing on the screen. Bad idea. Letting the copilot do it is equally distracting, IMO. Hence the current strategy of letting copilot use the AcuraLink app.
I tested this today, I first turned response off. Then while driving, I added a destination by saying the entire address one time (selecting New Destination on the menu). It picked up everything except the street number which I said as two thousand nine instead of two zero zero nine. Two thumbs up. And the dual screens don't bother me. Everything is slowly moving that way anyways.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Software updates are sometimes included with the ( paid ) map update discs, but they are mostly bug fixes. Unfortunately, I think the big changes come with revised hardware in subsequent model years.

I subscribed to AcuraLink for our 2014 MDX Tech because it provides the option of using a smartphone app to find a destination, then sending it to the headunit. It's my wife's daily driver, but it drove me nuts if I tried to use the Nav for trips. I think 2015 is a little better than 2014. We also needed AcuraLink to restore live traffic display after the "complimentary" 3-year period.

A $150 stand-alone Garmin could easily provide those functions, but mounting locations are sparse and didn't pass WAF.

Wanderlust how much does acura link cost to subscribe? Mine is 2015 so imagine it just ran out or will soon, good tips I appreciate them!

·
Registered
869 Posts
I tested this today, I first turned response off. Then while driving, I added a destination by saying the entire address one time (selecting New Destination on the menu). It picked up everything except the street number which I said as two thousand nine instead of two zero zero nine. Two thumbs up. And the dual screens don't bother me. Everything is slowly moving that way anyways.
What model year do you have? I haven't played around with our 2014 very much since I did the update, so maybe I missed something. Wife's car and she is very possessive.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Re how: I can see traffic lines and colors now. I could not before the update even on my 2015. It was equally as bad as the 2014 I had.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Yeah, I just took another look at our 2014. I still think traffic display is better than it was before the most recent update, but the voice input is still "spell it out" to give it an address. Or wade through laggy menus to locate POIs. Oh well.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Does anyone find that having Apple CarPlay take over the Nav duties is a better navigation solution relative to voice control, usability, functionality, details, etc? Seems like one of the benefits to using the CarPlay piece would be the free/ongoing upgrades from Apple.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Yeah, I dug a bit deeper and this feature was added to 2015 via firmware update under TSB 14-037, which was apparently a "product update campaign". That free update expired 3/31/2017. AFAIK it's the same update that would be provided with a recent paid map update from HERE. But AFAIK it's not applicable to our 2014 unless I were to swap the headunit for a revised one that's allegedly compatible with either 2014 or 2015 MDXs. Those units don't seem to be available as remanufactured units yet, and $5000 seems a bit excessive to add functionality almost as good as a $150 Garmin.

Black-Box Assembly (Alpine) - Acura (39542-TZ5-A14)

But for 2015 MDX Tech there should be a way to upgrade to software with functional speech recognition if it's not already installed.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Install a NAVIKS unit and you can input destinations while in motion. Just like a 2018 TLX and my 1st gen MDX...not sure why Acura didn't allow this on this on the earlier model 3rd gen MDX

1 - 19 of 19 Posts