Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some good advice and it seems that there are alot of very knowledgeable and helpful folks on this site . . . :confused:

I just took delivery on a Redrock Touring w/out Navi (I know, I know, but I REALLY wanted the Redrock and didn't want to chance not getting a TP w/Nav if I passed on this one) . . . :( :( :(

Should I :
1 - Go with an aftermarket Nav system, and which one ?
2 - Get the Acura MDX Nav system and
a) have it installed by a dealer
b) have it installed elsewhere

Cost is a consideration, but a seamless and problem-free result is more desireable . . .

I'm in no particular hurry, but would greatly appreciate any input that you seasoned folks can impart on a newbie . . . :confused:

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
not really too many options...

If you find a dealer that will agree to "installing nav" I doubt that dealer understands what they are agreeing to...

The 'parts' may be techincally listed in the Acura parts catalog, but they really aren't meant for "after the fact" installation.

You can get a Alpine system with SIMILAR coverage & features, but it is not cheap -- http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=alpnven852a&SVBName=309

Plus you will need another screen, as the "trip computer -- A/C control" is not compatible...

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I'm sorry.......

socalJD said:
Need some good advice and it seems that there are alot of very knowledgeable and helpful folks on this site . . . :confused:

I just took delivery on a Redrock Touring w/out Navi (I know, I know, but I REALLY wanted the Redrock and didn't want to chance not getting a TP w/Nav if I passed on this one) . . . :( :( :(

Should I :
1 - Go with an aftermarket Nav system, and which one ?
2 - Get the Acura MDX Nav system and
a) have it installed by a dealer
b) have it installed elsewhere

Cost is a consideration, but a seamless and problem-free result is more desireable . . .

I'm in no particular hurry, but would greatly appreciate any input that you seasoned folks can impart on a newbie . . . :confused:
but IMHO, I don't think any aftermarket Navigation system (or any system for that matter) can come anywhere close to even matching the original Acura DVD Navigation system........oddly enough, even though ALPINE makes the Nav for Acura, Alpine's own aftermarket DVD unit is SUBSTANTIALLY SUBPAR to the Acura factory version!!!..........I've used both Acura, Lexus and aftermarket Navi's extensively and can confidently make this statement.......Gosh, with all the Navi systems I've used so far I could write a book :rolleyes: (see my signature line).........but in the end there's nothing that comes close to Acura's DVD unit!! (the unit I used was the one in my "ex-2000 3.2TL" - exactly the same as the MDX, except for a smaller screen)

If I were you, I would simply sell the MDX and buy one with a Navi (probably make more financial sense than retrofitting one).......I don't think you would lose much since the MDX is still kinda sorta "hot-in-demand" product!!!..........I see you live in the SoCal area........availability is very good here if you SHOP AROUND...........with several dealers I'd visited in the past constantly calling me to let me know they've got MDX's in the color and options I want, I don't see why getting the exact color MDX with Navi and Touring should be a problem

·
Registered
818 Posts
I'm in no particular hurry, but would greatly appreciate any input that you seasoned folks can impart on a newbie . . . :confused: [/B]
If you are in no hurry just wait awhile, the way technology is headed you will soon be able to get a portable navigation unit with probably as many features as the in dash unit in the MDX. I also opted to not get the Navi (no regrets) as I would want something portable to move between different vehicles.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the quick responses: :)

Vicpai - thanks, but unloading my 'X is kinda extreme. If for some godforesaken reason it gets totaled in the near future, than I'll have an excuse to upgrade. I really wanted the 'X now since my wife is expecting twins any day and my old '93 celica wouldn't get it done.

Rvehock - thanks for the reality check, I normally carry an iPAQ PAD and that makes a lot of sense to see what new tech comes out in the near term. Who knows, maybe Acura will offer a factory upgrade from trip computer to full Navi to owners that are in my situation.

I will look into the Alpine option, but adding another screen may not be ideal, would love to integrate existing screen or space.

In the meantime, the 17.99 I spent on a new thomas guide will have to suffice (that's a $1,982 savings over sticker !) :p :p :p

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Re: Thanks

socalJD said:
Thanks for the quick responses: :)

Vicpai - thanks, but unloading my 'X is kinda extreme. If for some godforesaken reason it gets totaled in the near future, than I'll have an excuse to upgrade. I really wanted the 'X now since my wife is expecting twins any day and my old '93 celica wouldn't get it done.

Rvehock - thanks for the reality check, I normally carry an iPAQ PAD and that makes a lot of sense to see what new tech comes out in the near term. Who knows, maybe Acura will offer a factory upgrade from trip computer to full Navi to owners that are in my situation.

I will look into the Alpine option, but adding another screen may not be ideal, would love to integrate existing screen or space.

In the meantime, the 17.99 I spent on a new thomas guide will have to suffice (that's a $1,982 savings over sticker !) :p :p :p
If you want, I can sell you my Destinator for the iPaq. Comes with GPS receiver and the mapping software. I used it once on a trip to Niagara Falls, and then I got my MDX with Navi. Don't need it anymore.

Additionally, how about this for integration:

http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3775&highlight=MeDeX

·
Registered
19 Posts
vicpai,

I've only used nav on a 2002 lexus lx470. I like it a lot. Can you compare it to mdx? I am thinking about getting a pilot ex-l-nav. I am assuming mdx and pilot navs are the same.

Thanks.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I;ve seem several radios that have a DVD screen that pops out, thus not requiring the extra screen. But that would require replacing your factory acura radio....

The garmin street pilot would work, but it is hand held, small, and not very one person driving user friendly. Just my opinion.... Don't take it as an attack!!

I looked at getting one while I was on vacation driving around unfamiliar states and areas... I hate maps now that I have the Navi in the Acura.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Alpine compared to Acura.......

renov8r said:
Actually the Alpine's performance is slightly better than the Acura's (speed of calculation), while locational accuracy is a bit worse (this could be due to the fact that aftermarket Navi systems can never match a OEM in accuracy because the gyroscope and speed sensor are not as "integrated" nor is the GPS antenna "ideally located")

However, the main area where the Alpine really dissapoints is in it's user interface with regards to the POINT-OF-INTEREST DATABASE.......it's all just slapped in there and not intuitive at all to use.....in other words it's not properly categorized.....there are several deficiencies, but I'll illustrate one: for example you cannot find the 10 nearest Taco Bells sorted by distance-closest to farthest - it just shows you all the Taco Bells in California (yeah right, some 500 of them :rolleyes: in no particular order......yeah, like I'm going to scroll through all of them to find the nearest one :rolleyes: )...granted, you can do a "LOCAL SEARCH" but you can do a local search for all nearest restaurants not all nearest Taco Bells like I could do in my 3.2TL Navi........a second example would be: In my 3.2TL I could find all the nearest "Real Estate agents" for example or the nearest "Health Clubs" just go to the "ADVANCED" tab and a plethora of sub-categories - Realtors, Mortgage companies, electronic stores etc. etc. etc. etc. showed up - Nothing like that in the Alpine - Just the 20 or so BROAD categories - again making that 4 million strong or whatever :rolleyes: Point-of-Interest database practically useless

Another SHOCKING thing about the Alpine is it's database coverage of metro areas - FAR INFERIOR to Acura's - and they both use Navtech - go to Acura's website and see the coverage ( detailed street-level coverage for cities in Iowa, Kentucky and Alabama which are covered in Acura's September 26, 2001 DVD release (version 2.05) are not covered in Alpine's much newer May 2002 (version 1.3) DVD release - see Alpine's website!!! - This it TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE AND SHOCKING

In short I'd definitely NOT RECOMMEND the Alpine DVD unit to anyone (BTW, I've used both Acura and Alpine systems for over a year - and use the Navi very regularly so I guess I should know)

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Lexus and Acura Navi's compared

kexicao said:
vicpai,

I've only used nav on a 2002 lexus lx470. I like it a lot. Can you compare it to mdx? I am thinking about getting a pilot ex-l-nav. I am assuming mdx and pilot navs are the same.

Thanks.
Hey kexicao,

The Navi system in Lexus and Toyota vehicles (made by Denso) are extemely good and probably a bit better than Acura's in some ways, but worse in others. I've used both extensively and will list the advantages and disadvantages below, but personally I prefer the Acura Navi, slightly more than the Lexus one.

ADVANTAGES OF ACURA NAVI:

Slightly better user interface

Fabulously large Point-of-interest database that lists virtually every business in all metro areas of the United States......and to make things even better, these businesses are very very superbly categorized and made accessible to the user. - By sharp contrast the Lexus Navi has a horribly small Point-of-Interest database

Reverse phone number search feature - enter the phone number of any of these 4 million businesses and the name and address is displayed - Lexus unit does not have this feature

Possibility of operating the Navi system while in motion - very important on trips if you have a passenger riding with you and want them to say find a business or address while you're driving - the Lexus unit disables itself once you start moving :rolleyes:

Acura provides timely DVD updates at a relatively low cost ($150) - Recently Lexus has been giving it's customers the runaround for the longest time and finally after irate customers started threatening Lexus, they came up with the update but are charging vehicle owners $500 to $600 for the DVD update!!!!!!!!! - UNBELIEVABLE

ADVANTAGES OF LEXUS NAVI

Better overall graphics and more attractive visual display than Acura's

Much faster performance (speed of calculation and instantaneous recalculation if you make a wrong turn - Acura takes forever to recalculate if you make a wrong turn, and especially if you're in a congested area the Navi's is pretty much constantly recalculating trying to play "catch-up" with the new position of the vehicle)

It is my perception that the Lexus Navi has a slightly, only very slightly better locational accuracy

As far as street-level-database coverage of the U.S. goes, Lexus beats the Acura Navi hands down.....Currently Navtech is the only provider of digital maps required for accurate rendering of streets by Navi systems (road geometry calibrated to longitute/latitude reference etc.).........However, for now they only cover metro areas.......Lexus did something unique: they merged the Navtech database with one from GDT (Geographic Data Technologies) to cover virtually every city, town and rural place in the U.S. to street level detail......but here's the catch. Even though the Lexus will calculate a route seamlessly to a Non-Navtech-covered area, turn by turn voice guidance is provided only in Navtech-covered areas and stops once you enter the GDT-covered areas. Then, you just have to look at the map and follow the arrow (but at least it gives you situational awareness of where you are)

Other than what I've mentioned above, both Navigation systems are by far the best out there, very useful and light years ahead of all other factory Nav systems (and all aftermarket units, except Alpine (makes for Acura) and Kenwood (same as Lexus, basically made by Denso) which are nothing but worthless gimmicks

The Pilot and MDX Nav are IDENTICAL to each other, except for the screen size (pilot is slightly smaller) - In fact the Pilot Nav screen is the exact same one from the 3.2TL (buttons on the side and all....)

·
Registered
19 Posts
nav

Vic,
You are the man. Thanks for the detailed info.
In your previous post, you didn't mention if Alpine nav can be used with a touch screen interface.

KC

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Wow, how could I forget that???

kexicao said:
Vic,
You are the man. Thanks for the detailed info.
In your previous post, you didn't mention if Alpine nav can be used with a touch screen interface.

KC
The Alpine unit DOES NOT have a touch screen user interface.....that was my BIGGEST dislike of the Alpine unit, more than anything else. I'm constanly losing that horrible remote control (and inputting data is so sllllooooow with the remote)......that's yet another reason I got the Kenwood (Lexus/Denso) unit for my Corolla! :) .........at this point in time the only aftermarket unit that has touchscreen control is the Kenwood/Denso unit

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Re: Wow, how could I forget that???

vicpai said:

.at this point in time the only aftermarket unit that has touchscreen control is the Kenwood/Denso unit
Vic great job providing us this info on Navigation systems.

Do you know anything about the Navigation used in Infinity's? My wife is considering a G35 as our second car.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I would like to add to all of the favorable remarks about the MDX OEM navi system. By way of introduction I am in the profession of developing internet geographic information sytems and so there was no question my MDX would include a nav system. None of the test models I drove had the nav system so I had absolutely no first hand knowledge of its operation other than what I had read on this board and other articles. I picked up my 'X tonight and had decided I wouldn't even use the nav system until I got home and read the book. It didn't work out that way. While I was in the office writing the check and completing paperwork my 17 year old daughter got in the 'X and after less than 5 minutes figured out the nav sytem, punched in our home address and had it setup to drive home with full directions. Of couse she also had the CD changer loaded and the audio sytem fine tuned! This was before the salesman even had a chance to go over everything with me. The nav sytem worked like a charm on the way home.

The nav system is amazingly easy to use and at $2,000 is probably a bargain. A couple weeks ago I considered not getting the OEM nav and instead going with the aftermarket Alpine as part of an integrated and upgraded audio system. The cost of that nav system was close to $4,000 ($2,000 for the nav unit+ $1,600 for the motorized video screen +installation, etc.) The afteremarket Alpine is a good sytem, but does not have a touch screen feature. I would wholeheartedly recommend the OEM system to anybody.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Infiniti Nav systems

BaldEagle said:
Vic great job providing us this info on Navigation systems.

Do you know anything about the Navigation used in Infinity's? My wife is considering a G35 as our second car.
I've not extensively used the Infiniti/Nissan Nav systems (I believe they're made by a company named "XANAVI")......however, I've had an opportunity to briefly sample one in a friend's QX4 and also in another acquaintance's Q45......my impression was that they both were not nearly as good as the Lexus or Acura units. Oddly the substantially more expensive Q45 had an obsolete "panel control" (using joystick/buttons) user interface - one word - HORRIBLE, compared to the "touch-screen" interface, while the much-less-expensive QX4 had touch screen interface with a kinda odd, rubbery feel to it. Additionally, this is an obsolete CD-ROM based unit.........all other Inifiniti/Nissan products (except the QX4's twin, the Pathfinder) do not have a touch screen.......they do however, have an interesting "birds-eye" view mode.

Overall, the Infiniti Navi system is not nearly as HORRIBLE and USELESS as the ones found on Mercedes, BMW and Audi, but still much worse than the Lexus and Acura units.....if you're buying an Infiniti, my strong suggestion would be to put in the Kenwood DVD Nav unit (KNA-DV2100) - which is esentially made by Denso and the same one found in Lexus models.......a touch-screen compatible Kenwood monitor such as the KVT-911DVD will be needed as well. I'm really happy with my Kenwood Navi......however, still not on par with the Acura OEM unit :14:

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Navagation Unit

Like I've said in the past it's the best unit out there. I'm glad to hear some additional people agree and have excellents facts to back it up.:eek: :11: :9: :24:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts