Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Navigation/Non Navigation-Are You Happy With Your Decision?

• Have navigation and love it.

Votes: 116 68.2%
  • Have navigation and think it was a mistake.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Do not have navigation and have no regrets.

Votes: 36 21.2%
  • Do not have navigation and wish I did.

Votes: 17 10.0%
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought it would be interesting to do a poll about having/not having the navigation system and how MDX owners feel about their decisions.

Although having the navigation system is not the best choice for some, in my experience I almost made a big mistake by first ordering my MDX without navi.

The day I placed my initial order for Black/Touring/non Nav. I found this site while doing a Google search for accessories. After reading posts from owners I realized I had made a mistake and two days after my initial order I called the dealer and was able to change to Black/Touring/with Nav. and was fortunate to only have 1 additional week in wait time.

Thanks to this forum I was able to get a MDX that better suited my own personal needs. Of the three car salespersons I talked to about the MDX not one of them did a good job of explaining the navigation system to me.

Thank you posters of acuramdx.org for aiding in my satisfaction of this fine vehicle.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I don't have nav and don't regret it - I got my MDX 'on a whim' as I've posted before. If the dealer had a touring with nav rather than the base without nav, who know what I'd be driving now. My objective was to get an MDX - the toys (including nav) were and are optional. I travel with my gps (Garmin eTrex Vista) anyway, and don't usually use it for 'directions' as much as for information (how much farther is the exit, etc.). I'll probably get a garmin street pilot with the voice and color screen, and I can use it in any car I drive. Seems to me like the nav, although quite 'state of the art' at this point, will be like the push button transmission of years ago!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
disclaimer

I voted 'no navi w/no regrets' but I actually belong to a 5th category which would be 'no navi, no regrets, but willing to upgrade/install navi'. If Acura offers the factory navi as an aftermarket option, I would upgrade. From a prior thread I started there are no better aftermarket options for the Acura factory navi in the 'X and the standard 'trip computer' seems like a complete waste of space - unfortunately AC functions are built in to the screen. I believe technology will eventually come to my rescue.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
AcuraMDX2002 said:
Seems to me like the nav, although quite 'state of the art' at this point, will be like the push button transmission of years ago!
You could be right or the Navigation system could be like the microwave oven or the car radio. An expensive novelty when they first hit the market but as time went by they became a must have for almost everyone.

I predict that Navigation will be somewhere in the middle of these two extremes 10 years from now.

As the technology advances and the inevitable price reductions occur navigation will become ever more popular although not attaining the "must have" category.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I ordered with the Navi mostly at my wife's insistance. My attitude was more like "what the heck do we need that for?". As usual, she won, and as usual she was right. I love the Navi, and will now incorporate into my "must have" list for future cars, much like a CD player, etc. :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
I think the key is that almost nobody who has gotten the NAV on this board regrets their decision. Once you have it you're hooked. When the price comes down, I predict NAV systems will enjoy mass acceptance.

·
Registered
12 Posts
We have 1 w/Navi & 1 without

Hi Folks,

We have an MDX without Navi and CL Type S with. The biggest mistake we have ever made in ordering a new car was buying the MDX without the Navigation package.

We were at the dealer today asking about an upgrade. We will likely trade in the 2001 for a 2003 at the end of the summer. We will have 42,000 miles on the MDX at that time.

Bob "laserman" Murrow

·
Registered
359 Posts
Poll Option

We went with purchasing a portable Garmin, so the X doesn't have one but I like the Garmin. So, although the X doesn't have the NAV, we do!

With 2 vehicles we can move it to the one we're taking and we can take it on our flying trips and use it in the rentals.

I admit, if $ was no object at all, I'd get one in any vehicle I bought and have the portable for my flying trips!

·
Registered
351 Posts
I probably use it only 1-2x per month, but it definitely comes in handy when I need it. It will really come in handy when I move to a larger city in about 6 months where there is much more detailed coverage than where I live now. I'm definitely glad I shelled out the extra $$ for it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
mdx w/ navi.......
would like to know what is the difference between the trip computer and the navigation screen

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
I love it and now consider it a must have option ...

... on all future cars.:2: :cool: :4: :p :D

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
I love it and try to get everyone I speak with to get the factory nav from acura it's excellent and highly rated. I could see not getting on the BMW, Audi and Nissan. There systems are not that impressive and have had alot of bad reviews.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'd say the Nav is one of the very best things about the MDX!:D

·
Registered
77 Posts
nav great but...

i don't think it's worth $2k, esp. w/ the electronic compass on the trip computer. for half, i would have bit.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Interesting, of the 39 votes by those that have navigation, not one vote for "Have navigation and think it was a mistake".

I would have predicted a few in that category mainly because of lack of complete USA coverage.

It will be interesting to see how this poll changes if the next upgrade (this fall?) does not substantially improve coverage for rural areas. Although I love the navigation I will be very disappointed if they don't.

·
Registered
42 Posts
BaldEagle said:
Interesting, of the 39 votes by those that have navigation, not one vote for "Have navigation and think it was a mistake".

I would have predicted a few in that category mainly because of lack of complete USA coverage.

It will be interesting to see how this poll changes if the next upgrade (this fall?) does not substantially improve coverage for rural areas. Although I love the navigation I will be very disappointed if they don't.
Most people know about the coverage (or lack of) for rural area and so no one will complain about it. If I drove to a desert and found no coverage for it and forget to bring map with me and got lost, my wife blamed on me, all I could say is: "I screw up, Honey".

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
rwx said:

If I drove to a desert and found no coverage for it and forget to bring map with me and got lost, my wife blamed on me, all I could say is: "I screw up, Honey".
Or you could use the breadcrumbs feature and find your way back.

Have no maps in my MDX.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
BaldEagle said:

Or you could use the breadcrumbs feature and find your way back.

Have no maps in my MDX.
Yes I believe that is what the breadcrumbs are for? If you are on a non-digitized road you could drop bread crumbs and track your trip using the longitude and latitude GPS sensors. If you can't get those longitude and latitude spec's then I believe it will not work. I've never had a problem getting these at any given time within my state.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
We actually used the breadcrumbs in ...

... Tulsa, OK last summer. The Acura DVD system does not have complete coverage in Tulsa; we were playing in the USSSA U13 World Series (actually I was coaching, my son was playing:rolleyes: ) and only one of the three fields being used were on covered roads. But the breadcrumbs were available and useful in a way.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
paul123 said:

If you can't get those longitude and latitude spec's then I believe it will not work. I've never had a problem getting these at any given time within my state.
When the breadcrumbs are activated (track offroad position) it does it for you. Very usefull and easy to find your way back if you're lost and in a non covered area.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts