Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 model. In the Navigation menu, there is a icon for "Local Search", lately when I try to use this function, it quickly shows as "Unable to connect to server", " please try again". I have called Acuralink and they said it is due to the unable to connect to the server/satellite and to give it some time. But it's been over a week and same issue. I do have full Acuralink access.

Anyone come across this issue?

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I've never tried using it. I'll have to check it out.

I prefer using the AcuraLink app on my phone. I can search for locations and push them to the vehicle nav system much quicker than interacting directly with the jog wheel.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I've never tried using it. I'll have to check it out.

I prefer using the AcuraLink app on my phone. I can search for locations and push them to the vehicle nav system much quicker than interacting directly with the jog wheel.
The local search does work on my 2018, but I also prefer to use the phone as you describe. But I do that before I start the trip.

·
Registered
608 Posts
In regards to using the mobile app if you are driving and looking to search while driving that rules out the mobile app unless you want to pull over to do it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 2017 model. In the Navigation menu, there is a icon for "Local Search", lately when I try to use this function, it quickly shows as "Unable to connect to server", " please try again". I have called Acuralink and they said it is due to the unable to connect to the server/satellite and to give it some time. But it's been over a week and same issue. I do have full Acuralink access.

Anyone come across this issue?
Yes, on my 2018 MDX. Just got it back from the dealer where they reset the navigation system. No luck still will no connect.

I was told by AccuraLink tech support that this feature is only supported on Candian models.....Which is untrue since it is listed in their US marketing materials as a feature and in the owners manual as available in US models. The tech guy at the Acura my Acura dealer also says it should work and he did not receive any notice that this feature was being discontinued.

Having said all that...It still does not work after I picked it up today....I will be calling the tech guy in the morning to see if he has any other suggestions.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, on my 2018 MDX. Just got it back from the dealer where they reset the navigation system. No luck still will no connect.

I was told by AccuraLink tech support that this feature is only supported on Candian models.....Which is untrue since it is listed in their US marketing materials as a feature and in the owners manual as available in US models. The tech guy at the Acura my Acura dealer also says it should work and he did not receive any notice that this feature was being discontinued.

Having said all that...It still does not work after I picked it up today....I will be calling the tech guy in the morning to see if he has any other suggestions.
Well mine is a Canadian model. It worked before but not sure why now it doesn’t work. I may call my dealer too to get their advice.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just an update on this, I got my dealer to check it out. They reset the system but still couldn’t get it to connect so they will replace the transmitter unit entirely.

·
Registered
713 Posts
my 2015 failed recently in the same area. I suspect it is on the Acura / Acura Link / Onstar end. When my 2014 was hit by a red light runner last fall, while Acura Link contacted me in the cabin to be sure I was Ok, the 911 audio that we got because one of the witnesses gave a description of what happened to 911, had a recording of all the calls to 911 on it. One was from Onstar reporting that they monitored and backed up the system under contract to AcuraLink. We had losts of problems in the 06 RL with services dying and then having to call to have them re initiated again. Even the dealer wasn't aware of some of the Acura side issues that caused things to fail. My 2014 gives a server not available error now and the dealer shrugs their shoulders. It started about the same time folks here lost their local search.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Update

I am still trying to get this feature to work....along with a few other features on AcuraLink that have never work (notifications from the phone app). On the advice of the dealership I contacted Acura corporate customer service, but all they are doing is sending my concern back over to tech support. He did mention mine was the second call concerning this problem that he had received today.

I will let you know any update....My dealership did not want to replace the module in the car b/c other than this feature it appears to be working correctly. It is very frustrating that very few people at Acura seem to understand how this technology works.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The feature has just failed on my 2018 Hybrid (I was looking for a restaurant in Timbuctoo), and I talked with Acura Tech Support today. The representative told me that this failure is a "mass issue" and that they are "urgently" working on it. It is *not* a problem with the car hardware, but with the network. Even though he said it is a "network problem," he also said that when the problem is fixed, the fix will be downloaded over the air (via Acura Link) to the car. So my guess is that something has changed in the network protocol, and the car software has to be modified to keep it compatible. If you want to talk to the Tech Support, the number is 888-528-7876. It never hurts to be the squeaky wheel, and I'd also like to hear more squeaking about the completely non-functional text messaging.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
In regards to using the mobile app if you are driving and looking to search while driving that rules out the mobile app unless you want to pull over to do it.
Or you have a passenger.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
I am still trying to get this feature to work....along with a few other features on AcuraLink that have never work (notifications from the phone app). On the advice of the dealership I contacted Acura corporate customer service, but all they are doing is sending my concern back over to tech support. He did mention mine was the second call concerning this problem that he had received today.

I will let you know any update....My dealership did not want to replace the module in the car b/c other than this feature it appears to be working correctly. It is very frustrating that very few people at Acura seem to understand how this technology works.
I’ve never had a problem sending destinations to the car. On my 2014 or this one.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yah I have kinda given up on figuring it out for now. Maybe on my next servicing I will mention it again. If you look in the manual, it states that Local Search is a subscription service. I have the premium package so I don’t get why I don’t have this function.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I have the connect package. Here is what their 2017 Press Kit includes

Connect Package (subscription fee)
Includes Standard services and adds:

• Automated crash notification and location
  • Assist Call
  • Enhanced roadside assistance
  • Alarm notification
  • Car finder
  • Remote door lock/unlock
  • Stolen vehicle tracking
  • Link call information
  • Local search
  • Destination search using Interactive Voice Response (IVR)
  • Send to car
  • Virtual dashboard
  • Remote diagnostics

·
Registered
713 Posts
reading thru this again please everyone who PAYS for Connect or Premium call Acura at the number posted above (and quoted below) and ask when will the Local Search feature work again. Will they extend their services for the amount of time it has been down until they get it fixed? It is fraud to charge someone for something knowing you can't deliver.

If you want to talk to the Tech Support, the number is 888-528-7876. It never hurts to be the squeaky wheel, and I'd also like to hear more squeaking about the completely non-functional text messaging

·
Registered
713 Posts
spoke with Acura tech support - He said that the more folks who call and log an entry that their Local Search doesn't work the sooner it is going to get fixed - with only a few callers mentioning it, it is on the list of things to get fixed but not a priority item. If yours doesn't work call today rather than wait until you need it and don't have it. 888-528-7876 It's only a 2-minute call.

·
Registered
713 Posts
If you have NAV, pay for Connect or Premium, and your Local Search doesn't work, don't forget to call it in to their tech department. 888-528-7876

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have had several of the AcuraLink features that have broken or never worked.

1. The local search feature discussed in this thread.
2. The audio when I call the AcuraLink agent (I subscribed to the Premium features) is so garbled as to make it unusable. I have been told that it is a known issue and that a software update would be released. That was almost 6 months ago.
3. The notifications feature available in the AcuraLink app have never worked.

I have called AcuraLink tech support and I am always promised a callback, but one never comes. My local Acura dealer has agreed to take a look at the system to see what they can fix. I will let all know if there is an update.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts