Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We now have over 1000 miles on our new 2022 MDX. We have issues with navigation. If we enter an address that is a few hundred miles away from present locations, system will take minutes to try to calculate a route and then fail most of the time. I have found that while it is doing the calculation I can hit the back button and then go back into navigation it will work most of the time. Also no matter what what settings I use, traffic information is nowhere to be found on the nav screen. Additionally, it is almost impossible to enter an address using the touch pad keyboard. Fortunately you can enter using the Acuralink app or voice command. I contacted Acura support and they said bring it in to the dealer. Unfortunately my nearest dealer is 75 miles away. Anyone else have these issues or is this normal?

·
Registered
2022 MDX A-SPEC Liquid Carbon Metallic/Black Interior
52 Posts
We now have over 1000 miles on our new 2022 MDX. We have issues with navigation. If we enter an address that is a few hundred miles away from present locations, system will take minutes to try to calculate a route and then fail most of the time. I have found that while it is doing the calculation I can hit the back button and then go back into navigation it will work most of the time. Also no matter what what settings I use, traffic information is nowhere to be found on the nav screen. Additionally, it is almost impossible to enter an address using the touch pad keyboard. Fortunately you can enter using the Acuralink app or voice command. I contacted Acura support and they said bring it in to the dealer. Unfortunately my nearest dealer is 75 miles away. Anyone else have these issues or is this normal?
We have the same issue with the NAV and the address doesn't need to be few hundred miles, it's way shorter than that. I was successful once to enter an address which the system calculated and half the way on route the NAV failed and I was never able to enter another address since then including the return home. I video taped it to show the dealer how long it's taking to calculate and how it eventually fail in the next service visit in case it did not happen when we bring it in. Also the Apple Carplay is sluggish, it connects and disconnects and sometimes as we're listening to music from the iPhone it cuts in and out. The other thing that is stupid by Acura, if you connect Apple CarPlay and you have music on a USB drive, the system does not allow you to pick the USB drive. This is poorly designed, I don't have any of these issues on my BMW...

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don't mean this to sound snarky, but is there any reason (other than not owning a smartphone) to ever use a vehicle's built-in navigation if Carplay or Android Auto are available? Even Apple Maps feels like a quantum leap beyond any in-car nav that I've ever used. (especially anything from Honda)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We have the same issue with the NAV and the address doesn't need to be few hundred miles, it's way shorter than that. I was successful once to enter an address which the system calculated and half the way on route the NAV failed and I was never able to enter another address since then including the return home. I video taped it to show the dealer how long it's taking to calculate and how it eventually fail in the next service visit in case it did not happen when we bring it in. Also the Apple Carplay is sluggish, it connects and disconnects and sometimes as we're listening to music from the iPhone it cuts in and out. The other thing that is stupid by Acura, if you connect Apple CarPlay and you have music on a USB drive, the system does not allow you to pick the USB drive. This is poorly designed, I don't have any of these issues on my BMW...
Yes same issue using Android Auto-You can't use USB drive while connected. I have 40 surround sound albums on the drive so can't hear them when using Android Auto. Really dumb. Only solution is to use Google Maps or Waze on the phone without connecting to car. Try using the back button while it is calculating the route and go back to navigation-it may work. Please post if you get a fix for all the issues.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I don't mean this to sound snarky, but is there any reason (other than not owning a smartphone) to ever use a vehicle's built-in navigation if Carplay or Android Auto are available? Even Apple Maps feels like a quantum leap beyond any in-car nav that I've ever used. (especially anything from Honda)
All things being equal, a quality system should out perform a cell phone system. No speed problems or losing cell reception. I have a Bmw. The navigation is great.

·
Registered
8 Posts
All things being equal, a quality system should out perform a cell phone system. No speed problems or losing cell reception. I have a Bmw. The navigation is great.
I agree with that statement, but the "all things being equal" is the whole problem. :) I guess I haven't messed around with the nav system in a BMW, but of the ones I have used (Honda, Acura, Toyota, Audi, and Tesla) they're all varying degrees of terrible when compared with something like Google maps - both the data itself and the user interface design/usability. Actually Tesla's is decent, but still not as good as google. Of course you have no choice there because Tesla famously doesn't allow Carplay. Also, I can't remember the last time I drove somewhere and didn't have enough cell coverage for navigation to work. Is that really an issue anymore? I'd hate to be forced to buy "map packs" for a nav system like the old days.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have you received any solution or future resolution?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Took th m about 2 weeks to get the parts. The repair itself is about 3 hours. Zero system errors since. The CarPlay is much more reliable.

·
Registered
6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Had same issue on 2022 MDX. Dealer replaced the Infotainment system. Parts took two week, but once replaced, it has been flawless. Wireless CarPlay works well, can now calculate routes and no more weird system errors.

·
Registered
25 Posts
To be honest, I wanted to love the built-in navigation as I paid for the trim that comes with navigation. Well, after some tries, I had to give up and use the Google map (with wireless android auto).
But, someone might want to use built-in navigation, if he /she does not want to spend an expensive data quota, especially if roaming (crossed border from the USA to Canada or Canada to the USA). Also, there can be some places where the internet won't be available. I always loved my Garmin Navigation and I miss that all the time, especially for the multi-lane decision points. Honda uses Garmin as built-in navigation and I thought, I would get Garmin as Acura is owned by Honda, but I was wrong. Acura's built-in navigation is not Garmin. If it were, then, I would have used Garmin built-in navigation all the time. Also, the 2022's wireless android auto made my life day and night difference. If it were not Wireless android auto, I would not have the mood to always take my phone out of my pocket and plug in. In my previous car, even I had an android auto without wireless, I never felt the energy to plug in and use Android Auto.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts