Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know when the 2003 DVD comes out for the Navigation system? I was told by a dealer that they won't be selling them, and that I would need to purchase directly from ACURA. How about Hondacuraworld? Wonder if they will sell them.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I went on the Acura web site last week and sent them a question, re. when will the '03 DVD be available, and what functionality will be compatible w/ the '01/'02 MDX.

Still no reply. :mad:

If you want to try go to http://www.acura.com/navdvd/mya_dvd_index.asp
then F.A.Q.s and you should be able to send them a question from there. Maybe if we all send a lot, they will get the idea that there is plenty of interest.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hmmm

I decided to call the 800 number that's posted on the site...
and the guy on the other end took my name, number and email address and said that they are keeping a database of interested people to phone/email when it comes available. But won't be available for a few more months! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7 Posts
2003 DVD Availability

I E-mailed Acura from their MDX Navigation web page and asked them to please respond to my E-mail. They replied to my question as to how soon the 2003 DVD would be available and said: There has been a delay, due to "Technical" difficulties ? Should probably be around the first of the year 2003 now?

I plan on calling their 800# and quizzing them about just what is the "Technical" difficulty they are experiencing. I'll share the info when I get it!javascript:smilie(':rolleyes:')
roll eyes (sarcastic)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Status of Updated Navi DVD

As a follow-up to my previous post, I called the Corporate Alpine number (888-549-3798) and talked to an individual that informed me that the next release of the Navi DVD will be mid February of 2003 :-( Version 2.06. This release will only have only minor updates to locations in the East.
Flint Michigan, Arcadia, Charlote West Virginia. Doesn't seem worth the money to me.

Next major update to the Land Base on the DVD isn't available until Fall 2003? :-( It seems that Alpine just keeps slipping delivery of the updates.

My suggestion would be to call Alpine at the above number and let them know how many of us are out here waiting for significant updates.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Re: Status of Updated Navi DVD

Deacon said:
As a follow-up to my previous post, I called the Corporate Alpine number (888-549-3798) and talked to an individual that informed me that the next release of the Navi DVD will be mid February of 2003 :-( Version 2.06. This release will only have only minor updates to locations in the East.
Flint Michigan, Arcadia, Charlote West Virginia. Doesn't seem worth the money to me.

Next major update to the Land Base on the DVD isn't available until Fall 2003? :-( It seems that Alpine just keeps slipping delivery of the updates.

My suggestion would be to call Alpine at the above number and let them know how many of us are out here waiting for significant updates.
I picked up my MDx on 8/30/02 and the Nav is already the 2.06.

·
Registered
124 Posts
What do you mean "Worth the money." ?

DVD updates are free... I had previously heard that they were charging for updates, but the last two times I have asked about it from the dealer, they said that future dvd updates would be free of charge for my 2003.

If not, then I suggest people fire up their dvd burners, because there is no justification for them charging. Every other in vehicle dvd system supplies annual updates at no charge.

Even Mercedes Benz (I have an m-class also, w/nav) gives me free updates on an annual basis.

Could be that the dealers are just trying to make a buck by charging for the free item. That would be pretty typical of Honda/Acura.

-Dana

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Hi Dleasman:

___As for the free of charge part … It sounds as if your dealer specifically quoted you that but it will come out of Acura’s pocket if they are offering free upgrades of the maps in particular. In the PocketPC NAVI world, those Navtech Maps are expensive and passed out under some rather strict licensing requirements. Free upgrade for the SW interface is one thing (the X’s inversion and black screen on bread crumb issues come to mind) but the Navtech map updates cost a bunch according to the GPS forums I follow. There are individuals that have been told they have to purchase the next generation’s NAVI suite for full price (entire package) in order to get the latest maps! Not all companies are doing this but some are … As for the map updates, apparently, Navtech updates their maps ~ every 3 months and some companies are better than others at getting the latest and greatest to the consumer in a timely fashion. How this works for Mercedes, Lexus, Volvo to name a few, I haven’t a clue but the map and POI updates are not free to someone. Lets just hope that someone is further up the Acura supply chain than yourself.

___As for DVD burning, if the latest discs are truly dual layer, than what are you going to do? The other issue is that this is plain piracy and you are going to have to be pretty good friends with your local Acura dealer’s parts manager to be able to pull this one off …

___I hope I have not passed on tainted information in this post as I don’t have a NAVI solution worked out just yet and reading all the Christmas deal posts as of late has just about filled my simple mind to its maximum capacity leaving suspect information as the only thing I may be spewing ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email protected]

·
Registered
124 Posts
Here's what they told me...

Bloomington Acura has told me twice now that when you purchase the DVD Navigation System, that part of it is your user license for the system and the map data. Going on to say that all upgrades (meaning new dvd's) are free from that point foreward. This is new for 2003. This would include not only new programming, but updated map data as well.

Mercedes has done the same thing for me for the last 3 years. I get a new cd each fall. It contains an updated version of the program AND updated map data.

NavTech supplies the map data for almost every in vehicle map system on the market. They sell the data to manufacturers of the systems.

It's just like any other software upgrade. When you purchase software, there are new versions and patches available for free until the next major version. The initial purchase entitles you to the data, including updates.

I am aware that Acura used to charge some insane amount of money for these free upgrades, but aparently, their policy has changed on this. Though it COULD be on a dealer by dealer basis.

I was very clear with them on the upgrade thing. If upgrades were not included, then the system simply was not worth the price, and I would not purchase it. Again, his response was, "Annual upgrades, including installation, are done free of charge."

He also told me that the upgrade is somple, and that there is a dvd drive behind the dash that they change out... It's takes only a couple minutes for them to do.

If this is in conflict with what other dealers are saying, the I appologize... I am only going by what I have been told by the dealership.

-Dana

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
dleasman: If they give you the update DVD free than I would venture to say that you are the first. First of all, the DVD player is under the passenger seat.....not behind the dash. Hope you got it in writing because it sounds like the dealer was "going that extra mile for the sale." Maybe the new 03 owners can verify if upgrades are "free" but there would be alot and I do mean alot of people on Acura's a$$ for their money back for the upgrades that they had to purchase. I do know that Lexus upgrades for free during warranty but that is Lexus.Not sure about Mercedes but wouldn't doubt that other "luxury" car makers cater to their clients. Good luck with everything.

P.S. GET IT IN WRITING!!!! and than post it so we all can see please:)

Congratulations on your new X.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Hi MDXtrous:

___Thanks for the link. The issue I don’t understand is that the Navtech maps are updated quarterly from my reads and the entire US has been mapped for a while now. Why is Honda worrying about a bug fix or two instead of working to get the most updated maps and POI into the NAVI equipped X’s? Given the latest Navtech maps are available in the PDA GPS world, what is holding Honda back other than the cost for these latest maps? It appears as if Acura is doling out the updates for free (at least for the 03’s) while the NAVI equipped X’s are still under warranty according to Dleasman which is an excellent solution.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email protected]

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Another Upgrade in the Summer? (see ody link above)

Very disappointing that significantly increased mapping is not going to be included in the Feb. upgrade. My guess is that the demand for this upgrade will be nil with 01/02 navigation owners. It's hard to understand the reasoning for this (minimal increase in mapping ) from a customer service aspect and obvious financial disappointment for Acura from poor demand for this upgrade.

Perhaps significantly improved mapping creates new as of yet unsolved problems that are being worked on. That would explain another summer release, giving them time to make the upgrade work right. Maybe the increased coverage creates new problems with even slower recalculate times.

Wouldn't it be great if Acura/Honda would communicate to the public exactly what the situation is so speculation on this and other sites would be unnecessary?

·
Registered
217 Posts
My understanding is that, in general, the biggest issue in getting the Maps updated is getting them in the right database format. All systems (I think...) use NAVTECH data, but each a different format as well as software. Acura data is formatted differently then Pioneer then Lexus etc. Each company/format must pay NAVTECH to translate the data into their proprietary format, and once paid it takes time (not fully automatic). There was an attempt to standardize data, called SDAL, but it failed (IMO). They are now to at least SDAL 1.7, with the newest format somewhat backward compatible, but not completely. .

Why Acura would be dragging thier feet on this is beyond me, especially when you consider they use an Alpine unit (so probably same data format). Maybe they need allot of calls/letters into Acura stating thier advertising was very misleading????????

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I am somewhat optimistic that Acura/Honda will get their act together with this whole update issue. They will be sooooooooo tired of hearing from me if they don't. You do not lead buyers into purchasing an "upgradable system with updates available every fall", and allow salesman to help taught full coverage of the continental United States and not follow through. The Nav is an overpriced accessory that is a great feature when you are driving on the mapped streets. My guess would be that alot of owners do not travel to unmapped areas in their day to day jaunts. It is extremely frustrating for myself. I guess before one gets too angry, does anyone have the coverage area of the 03 Nav disc? Not too many post about coverage. Has anyone experienced "lack of coverage?"

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was inspired by your sugestions...

I was inspired by your suggestions...
So I posted the following complaint on the Acura Navi DVD customer service request area...

http://www.acura.com/navdvd/mya_dvd_your.asp

====Message posted to Acura Cust. Serv.=====
Why is the next release not yet available??
This is an unreasonable delay!
Has anyone in your organization read the following web site? http://www.navtech.com/Press/09-17-2001-116.html
Particularly of interest is the quote from the American Honda Vice-President
"This enhancement of the NAVTECH database will allow us to provide even better coverage for the DVD navigation systems we offer in Honda and Acura vehicles," said Dan Bonawitz, Vice President, American Honda Motor Co., Inc.. "With 100% coverage, our marketing potential greatly increases as does customer satisfaction."
This article is from 09/17/2001 !!
You guys are pushing 1-1/2 years late, from the time updated data was made available to you –vs.- when we’ll be able to order it...

Come on!
=====END=====

May not be very eloquent, :1: but I think they'll get the message...
Perhaps someone else can proceed to the same Customer Service area and improve on my sentiments...?

Thanks,
Michael
><>

·
Registered
7 Posts
Inspired !

Way to go! If we as consumers, take the time to honestly voice our opinions regarding products and services these manufactures want us to purchase. THEY'LL GET THE POINT ! MONEY TALKS !

Thanks !! :2:

·
Registered
452 Posts
I am hoping that the real message delivered here is the advanced function. I can not deny them the extra time if they have experienced problems etc., we have all been there. I will find fault if they continue to release sub standard disks because they are too lazy.

Chris

·
Registered
449 Posts
MGTD said:
I am hoping that the real message delivered here is the advanced function. I can not deny them the extra time if they have experienced problems etc., we have all been there. I will find fault if they continue to release sub standard disks because they are too lazy.

Chris
I doubt that Acura/Alpine are being lazy. As with most companies the newer products usually gets the most attention(that is where most of the money is being spent and made). Eventually they will remember us 2001/2002 Navi. users, hopefully soon.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts