Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just purchased a 2003 Touring Acura MDX. However, the battery died and now the navigation screen says to enter in a 4 digit code. I contacted the previous owner and he doesn't know what it is. Is there a way to reset the code? Someone please HELP! Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,913 Posts
If you use the search function, there are many threads on the subject. The code can be found in the owner's manual, or written in or at the sides of the glovebox or ashtray. Otherwise, you'll have to take it in to the dealer. The code is there for a reason.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had taken it to the dealer where they looked on the side of the door for the code. is there any other way anyone knows of. Anyone with a 2003 maybe can give me there code for me to try. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
dj-mdx2 said:
If you use the search function, there are many threads on the subject. The code can be found in the owner's manual, or written in or at the sides of the glovebox or ashtray. Otherwise, you'll have to take it in to the dealer. The code is there for a reason.
My code was not in the owners manual but on a small card that was placed in a pocket of the owners manual holder.

Used this code for the first time when I replaced the battery last week.

Navigation code has 4 numbers, radio code has 5.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Any ACURA dealer can help you with that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. But, the dealer said that they couldn't help me, does anyone have any other suggestions. Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,913 Posts
travisk808 said:
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. But, the dealer said that they couldn't help me, does anyone have any other suggestions. Thanks
Somehow I doubt that an Acura dealer can't help you out if you're the legal owner of the vehicle. All they have to do is either look up the code in their database or pull the unit out and/or reprogram the NAV.

:confused:

·
Registered
779 Posts
Sumpin' up?

That's what dealers are for. They also prevent the activiation of stolen units by nefarious souls. They should help you if you are the legal owner of the vehicle because they have the legal resources to do so.

if you can't find a dealer to help you they might be suspicious of your legitimacy. If so you might try dealing with Acura directly.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
travisk808 said:
This can't be the case. Tell us why the ACURA dealer said they couldn't help you. This makes no sense at all as they obviously have access to the database. If you are the legitimate owner and can prove it to them they have no reason to not assist you.

·
Registered
779 Posts
EVERYONE is protected!

The security codes protect EVERYONE on this board from a-holes who steal radios, nav systems, or whatever, from activating them later. If your system is not being activated by your dealer(s) they are sensing something wrong with what you are telling them. did you just join this board for the key to activation? are you the legititmate owner of your system? Something is wrong here and the system is rejecting you because of it. It will be interesting if you continue to post. Personally, with the problems you are having I think you will disappear, for whatever reason. Good luck if you're legit. If you're not, the system is working and legitimate owners (which we ALL are) are being protected.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is the case

Alright guys, I understand that you may think this sounds fishy like I stole a unit or something, but here is the story. I had just purchased a 2003 MDX from the mainland. We refer to the continental US as the mainland here in Hawaii. I had the MDX shipped to me here in Hawaii. When I picked it up from the port where the cars arrive at, the battery was unplugged. When I plugged the battery back in, I noticed that I needed a code for the radio, and that the navigation screen was just plain black. Come to find out from our local Acura dealer, the NAVIGATION system in the MDX's does not even work b/c there is no satellite in Hawaii for the MDX's Navigation signal to bounce off of. Rather than having the screen plain black, I want it to go to the default blueish screen that tells the direction the car is traveling, the time, the air condition, etc... Even though we do not have satellite equiptment for the Acura MDX here, I was told by the dealer that I still needed to buy the navigation disc in order to set it back to the default screen, which by the way costs a frick'n arm and a leg. The Acura dealer proceeded to look for the code on the tags that we are talking about on the door, the side of the glove compartment, as well as the side of the ash try and in the owners manual. With out any luck, the easy answer for them to say was that they couldn't help me if I don't know the security code from the previous owner. I tried to contact the previous owner and all he could tell me was that he didn't remember it b/c it's been so long since he's had to use it. So, as you can see guys, I'M **** OUT OF LUCK! If you would rather not help, no big deal. But I thought that this blog was to help other Acura owners and not slander them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For those who don't think I'm legit call Honolulu's Acura Dealer yourself!

This is the ONLY ACURA DEALER on the island of OAHU, here in Honolulu, HI. For those of you who would like some closure and to see the "legitamcy" of my dealing, feel free to call Acura here in Hawaii and ask them if the Navigation system in Hawaii works. Then you can see that I am not trying to access a stolen unit for the use of the Navigation feature, but rather to set the system back to default.
Pflueger Acura
1450 S Beretania St
Honolulu, HI 96814 - 1329
(808) 942-4555
For those who have be helping, I appreciate your help. For those who are like the "senior" user such as ROTORRAY, I don't appreciate it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Either you're bull****ing us or your dealer is an idiot. Or someone is.
There are some many things in what you're saying that don't make sense that I don't even know where to start.

First of all, there's no separate Acura Navigation satellites or anything to bounce off of anything in Hawaii, there's one global system that covers entire world.

Second, you don't need any disks nor a code to have a computer screen display (travel info).

Third, to look up the code (unless you find it in your manual or sometimes on the side of glove comp) you need a serial number of the device and the VIN which then your dealer uses to look up the code in the data base. But your dealer should know that.

I'll stop here.

Oh and BTW there is NO WAY to reset the code.

I'm "junior" in this forum, but I bet you don't appreciate my comment either.

·
Premium Member
3,913 Posts
Re: This is the case

travisk808 said:
Alright guys, I understand that you may think this sounds fishy like I stole a unit or something, but here is the story.
OK, I sort of get it. I find it hard to believe though, that the Acura dealer cannot do anything to find the original NAV and radio codes. You do look like you need to obtain a version of the NAV disk that is as new as, or newer than the last disk used, since it will revert to an error screen if the disk is older.

There is a way to get the radio code, at least, if you search. But that still involves contacting somebody with access to the Acura database.

Isn't one of our members a Hawaii resident? maybe he can help clear this situation up. I didn't know NAV is not active in Hawaii.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Re: Re: For those who don't think I'm legit call Honolulu's Acura Dealer yourself!

Travis- You must understand. No one here knows you. This is your first post. You're saying the dealer can't get it when we all know they can. Maybe you just need to speak to someone there who has a little more clout. I would ask to speak to the Service Manager. If that fails, the General Manager. But I doubt it would go this far.

If you are legit then I personally apologize. But do yourself a favor and think about why you're getting this reaction from people now that you know we know any dealer can help you.

·
Registered
259 Posts
what travisK808 is saying is true, MDXs sold in Hawaii do not have nav capability. I lived in Hawaii for five years, there is a Pflueger Acura and it doesn't surprise me that they haven't provided help. If you've lived in Hawaii for any time, or are kamaiina (means "native" or long timer), you know what I mean.

travisk808, Have you tried the service manager at Pflueger? All they have to do is pull the radio and nav for the serial numbers and check them against a computerized listing. At least, that's what my local salesman told me. If that fails, contact Acura Customer Service HQ in Torrance, CA and let them know of your problem. Good luck, brah....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you for the appoligy!

I appreciate the appoligy and I do understand. The NAV system on CERTAIN systems do work here in Hawaii, IE the Acura TL's the only Acura Nav that works here; don't ask me why b/c Acura even thought that was dumb and had no explanation for it. But, it's not the radio code that I need, b/c they did provide me with that, it's the NAV code that they are having a hard time locating for me. I feel just frustrated b/c I purchased a car and had it shipped in from the mainland for the exact reason of Navigation system. I also feel a little frustrated b/c we have only 1 Acura dealer on the island. With that said, they have extremely high prices, and in this case I don't feel like they are doing all that they can b/c it's not like I can go some where else for help. Thus, this is why I am resorting to you guys for help. I have searched and searched the internet, surfing the different blogs, and found this to the the most helpful by reading other post. So, i do appreciate th help, but in the same breathe, I hope that now some of you see me as being legit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you ayanomich

Bradah, thank you very much. I appreciate the help in proving light and legitemacy to my issue. Like I said in the previous email, I appoligize to bring static the blog.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
It's common knowledge to a dealer tech how to get the codes. First we look to see if the stickers were placed on the side of the glovebox, or some other places when the vehicle was PDI'd. Then we check to see if the vehicle was sold there. If it was, we look for the paperwork from when it was PDI'd. The numbers should have been written on the work order. If worse comes to worse, we can get serial numbers of the radio and navigation ECU through button tricks or by physically removing the units and seeing the serial numbers printed on them. These serial numbers can then be entered in the American Honda interactive network site where the unlock codes will be returned.

But we won't do any of this unless the person bringing in the vehicle can't prove they actually own it!

I've been getting PMs every now and then asking for codes. Some from people with little or no posts at all here. Very shady. So I've decided to add a little signature to my posts from now on.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
SuperTech
Where exactly do I go to put in the serial number to access the Navi unit code.? I have the serial number for the navi unit as well as the radio code. I also did take my acura into the dealer and they found no stickers on the door or panels. Pls advise. Thanks for the help.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts